"GTS" vs "S" depreciation prediction

dpg123

I think there is more potential money to be lost in a GTS to be honest. 

They are quite a bit more cash than an S, The GTS is a better car 100% but it depends on how much extra you think its worth.

IMO GTS Interior pack is a must as well, that one option i wouldn't compromise on and most buyer want it as well.

In regards to the car in question the interior is very marmite so bear that in mind as when you come to sell it will have a more limited market for it.

Having moved from S to GTS, the GTS is a nicer car. The Alcantara trim and bits of carbon elevate the interior nicely, and the GTS front bumper gives it better styling IMO.

With that being said, I expect the GTS to depreciate the same if not more than the S given the current pricing deltas. It is a very nice car but very unlikely to be perceived the same way as GT products, so expect a normal depreciation curve.

I’d still buy a GTS though, residuals have nothing to do with it 😄

30 minutes ago, muddypaws said:

Speed humps made me choose the 'S'  as it has sl more ground clearance - that plus the fact that the alcantara steering wheel doesn't wear very well......

That's not always the case regarding ride height as it depends on how the car was specified most GTS's were specified with pasm which is just -10mm.

I'm seeing reductions across the board on some of the excessively priced 718 and 981gts cars. Good time to wait if you can.

• Thanks 1

All,predictions about depreciation over the next 18 months is guess work depending on how messed up the economy becomes. 

however, eventually the recession will be over, and after that, the best specced and rarest cars with best condition will again go up in value. 

the rareness of the GTS will help it long term. Once the Boxster S drops into a certain price bracket it won’t recover. The GTS will. 

dynamically the cars are very similar if you find a well specced S. 

u think we all lose money In The next 24 months. Maybe some recovery of that over the next 48 months. 

If the S drops down into the sub 20 bracket it takes the GTS down too, they are too similar for that not to happen. A 50k GTS vs a sub 20k S side by side just doesn't compute, dare I say it, even that sacred strip of alcantara won't be enough! 🤣

It's reasonable to assume that if the gap gets too big it creates additional demand for the S linking the asking prices.

However, there is every chance that the very well kept low mileage GTS cars could be misunderstood and coveted as collector trophies, but then I feel the Spyder has that role nailed in the 981 hierarchy. 

The 981 GTS for me goes down I history as the enhanced S but it's existence is something that helps keep the S in high demand and for that I'm grateful.

👍

Edited by daz05
  • Thanks 1

So we (its actually my 74 year old dad buying it) went to RPM on Saturday. What a place. Had a full tour and the workshops are something else. Saw a 959 engine in rebuild, too many GT2/3’s to count, a 918, tons of exotic and custom or race 911’s. Their stock is ridiculous!

Anyhow, agreed the sale. The GTS is gorgeous. The headers are almost stock until in Sport/Sport plus and then it just sounds wonderful. A perfect combo. Lack of GTS interior is personal taste I guess, but the two tone is stunning, luxurious but sporty. Zunsport grills, spyder brakes and some nice options make it a special car. My dad is going to have some fun in that car. He has an XK at the moment, had a 987S before and wanted back in a Boxster. He couldn’t have found a nicer one for the spec he was after.

Thanks to the current owner (on the forum) for answering his questions and giving him the confidence to pull the trigger. The car will be cherished! 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dpg123 said:

So we (its actually my 74 year old dad buying it) went to RPM on Saturday. What a place. Had a full tour and the workshops are something else. Saw a 959 engine in rebuild, too many GT2/3’s to count, a 918, tons of exotic and custom or race 911’s. Their stock is ridiculous!

Anyhow, agreed the sale. The GTS is gorgeous. The headers are almost stock until in Sport/Sport plus and then it just sounds wonderful. A perfect combo. Lack of GTS interior is personal taste I guess, but the two tone is stunning, luxurious but sporty. Zunsport grills, spyder brakes and some nice options make it a special car. My dad is going to have some fun in that car. He has an XK at the moment, had a 987S before and wanted back in a Boxster. He couldn’t have found a nicer one for the spec he was after.

Thanks to the current owner (on the forum) for answering his questions and giving him the confidence to pull the trigger. The car will be cherished! 

Great news, I am sure he will be really happy with the car. 

The biggest point made here is the interior being special. Obviously as loads of people already have fitting the gts diffuser to a standard 981 is very inexpensive & Porsche offer on their website a price to have the design pack supplied and fitted giving you the GTS front end. 

So would you spend £50k + on a GTS with leather interior knowing it's inferior to ones that have the full GTS package therefore always take longer to sell or £30k on a well spec'd S with the same interior & a further £3-4k at Porsche to add the design pack and actually bump up the value of that car to circa £40k (today's market). 

@daz05 perfect example of this with also the enjoyment of making his car very special. I'd love to know in comparison what your car owes you. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dpg123 said:

Very classy spec, I have no doubt your dad will enjoy driving it.

3 hours ago, Cocky said:

@daz05 perfect example of this with also the enjoyment of making his car very special. I'd love to know in comparison what your car owes you. 

Sports design front was done for about £1200 including the radiator prep work, with my own labour. This doesn't include painting the front end which I would have done at some point anyway as the bumper had the usual 981 chips. 

Worth every penny and now with the pcm4 and upgraded 718 chassis components it's just right.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Sports design front was done for about £1200 including the radiator prep work, with my own labour. This doesn't include painting the front end which I would have done at some point anyway as the bumper had the usual 981 chips. 

Worth every penny and now with the pcm4 and upgraded 718 chassis components it's just right.

Thanks for that! Watched the video last week of the front end. Worth knowing about that additional bracket. 

4 hours ago, Cocky said:

The biggest point made here is the interior being special. Obviously as loads of people already have fitting the gts diffuser to a standard 981 is very inexpensive & Porsche offer on their website a price to have the design pack supplied and fitted giving you the GTS front end. 

So would you spend £50k + on a GTS with leather interior knowing it's inferior to ones that have the full GTS package therefore always take longer to sell or £30k on a well spec'd S with the same interior & a further £3-4k at Porsche to add the design pack and actually bump up the value of that car to circa £40k (today's market). 

You’ve almost tempted me to buy this. Seems a lot of car for the money, only thing letting it down is it’s a manual.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202210281144019?radius=1500&sort=relevance&postcode=sk94bg&include-delivery-option=on&aggregatedTrim=981 S&year-to=2020&make=Porsche&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&model=Boxster&page=1&percentVehiclePriceDeposit=true

Edited by Nobbie

2 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Throwing my point across that's a conundrum Rob. I think at that price it's a steal. 

On 11/6/2022 at 8:36 AM, Cocky said:

Out of interest, why is a GTS with leather inferior to one with alcantara, and why would it take longer to sell? Not everyone wants alcantara and if something is taking too long to sell then it's the price that's wrong, not the spec.

I'd also argue that a £30k+ "S" with some after-market pieces added to make it look like a car that it isn't doesn't necessarily add any value, but it does satisfy the current owner's personal tastes. Indeed, the fact it's been modified might put people off because not everyone wants a GTS diffuser / front end / 718 PCM on a 981. It'll never actually be a GTS or a 718, it's a 981 S with a body kit and a different sat nav. And the current owner is very happy with it and has enjoyed the process of modifying it themselves because that's their hobby. If we could take a £30k car, spend £3-4k on modding it and then sell it at "circa £40k" then I'm in the wrong game.

If I stick a crocodile on my M&S jumper it doesn't make it a Lacoste jumper. If I had a silver 986 and put a different exhaust trim on it, it doesn't make it an Anniversary. It's a standard 986 with a different exhaust trim on it. 

The GTS is just a Porsche marketing tool, often as the model is due to be replaced. 

Slap on some extras at a slightly discounted price. (£2K less if you wanted all those) Then charge you an extra £2500 for two seats that stop you from picking many further options.

Sadly, the market then thinks it's a superior car and the POC herd it up their ladder of desire.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the GTS interior option either as I would want other options that they stop. But then I never think about resale, I think about the enjoyment I am seeking.

As for the RPM car, that was original Jons and I certainly assisted with the upgrades as Parr quoted him stupid money for what he was looking for, so feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Out of interest, why is a GTS with leather inferior to one with alcantara, and why would it take longer to sell? Not everyone wants alcantara and if something is taking too long to sell then it's the price that's wrong, not the spec.

I'd also argue that a £30k+ "S" with some after-market pieces added to make it look like a car that it isn't doesn't necessarily add any value, but it does satisfy the current owner's personal tastes. Indeed, the fact it's been modified might put people off because not everyone wants a GTS diffuser / front end / 718 PCM on a 981. It'll never actually be a GTS or a 718, it's a 981 S with a body kit and a different sat nav. And the current owner is very happy with it and has enjoyed the process of modifying it themselves because that's their hobby. If we could take a £30k car, spend £3-4k on modding it and then sell it at "circa £40k" then I'm in the wrong game.

If I stick a crocodile on my M&S jumper it doesn't make it a Lacoste jumper. If I had a silver 986 and put a different exhaust trim on it, it doesn't make it an Anniversary. It's a standard 986 with a different exhaust trim on it. 

I think you've perhaps missed his point, the difference in asking price is excessive for what you get in return, and adding the value adding bits is a minor cost in comparison.  A good well specified car is an absolute bargain because the options aren't considered as part of the trade value Hence why they created the GTS, it has a good residual because the excellent base spec is actually considered in the residual.

Whilst I can't talk for others, I didn't add any of the OEM pieces to make it look like anything else, I genuinely love the car and a similar NA 718 is going to cost three times the price and so I wanted to do things to help support the case for hanging onto it long-term.

The sports design front end contrary to popular belief is an optional package available via Techequipment that just happens to be fitted as standard to the GTS. As you said I added other bits and pieces and now it's personalised to my taste. I don't think anyone said that doing so ads any significant value but it can support desirability. I'd argue these OEM plus enhancements are a little more than a body kit and revised sat nav.

This discussion is about depreciation, the mod route really isn't bad either, there is significant value in actually keeping your old parts you'll get back what you pay and usually more for the parts you added at the end. This multiplies when part supply is limited, the changes you make are fresh, and demand increases as others want to do the same.

• Like 1

Even the 718 GTS and 4.0 GTS just has the Tequipment  additions that can be bought from Porsche.

It's just the snobbery around the badge that can attract a higher value, especially to the uneducated.  Porsche and indeed some independent dealers will have you believe the options are not worth anything when you trade in, but then sell them advertising the options heavily.

Like most big item spends - do your homework first.

Personally, I never will understand people that buy a car thinking of how much they can sell it for when they wish to move on.  I prefer to enjoy my custardy of a car, personalise as I chose and improve if I can or it's a sensible cost.  For example, better brakes can often be done for the same cost as replacing with OEM.  The Sat Nav that Daz has done is great as the maps are so old and expensive from Porsche, whilst also retaining the OEM look and functionality.

• Like 2

I

1 minute ago, Patt said:

Stuff..

Personally, I never will understand people that buy a car thinking of how much they can sell it for when they wish to move on.  I prefer to enjoy my custardy of a car, personalise as I chose and improve if I can or it's a sensible cost.  For example, better brakes can often be done for the same cost as replacing with OEM.  The Sat Nav that Daz has done is great as the maps are so old and expensive from Porsche, whilst also retaining the OEM look and functionality.

I always try and look at the likely depreciation when I buy a car - it's an intrinsic cost of ownership. It doesn't stop me modding it or tinkering with it and I certainly buy a car to drive and enjoy.

3 hours ago, dpg123 said:

My point was made based on cars that are or have been for sale recently. One of which was a mediocre spec 981 S with the sport design package which sold for 40k against higher spec cars without that package selling for £30-33k. A front bumper just simply sold the car. 

I also based the interior on other replies to this thread with those points being made. There's about 4 GTS's that have sat on auto trader with the leather interior which are all great cars while other GTS models with the GTS interior have just kept coming off weekly. 

I don't see why owning a GTS with standard interior is somehow better than owning an S with the design pack and same spec for 15bhp, some door sills & a rear badge for a £15k price difference however, if it's basically the design package that's selling them to the buyers which was my point. 

People don't want to take on projects they just want to buy and drive. 

I could stick a smiley face on my reply but it still won't make you happy 😬

Edited by Cocky
  • Like 1