Moving up from a 986 to a 987

bally4563

The 911 is a much more expensive car and has all the kudos. My brother has driven them for 40 yrs. Our enthusiasm for the Boxster is understandable - they're great cars but they'll always be baby brother to the 911. They're the entry level model. 

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

The 911 is a much more expensive car and has all the kudos. My brother has driven them for 40 yrs. Our enthusiasm for the Boxster is understandable - they're great cars but they'll always be baby brother to the 911. They're the entry level model. 

I'm on my second 986 but still miss my 996.  It's only cost that stops me upgrading.  Nothing drives like a 911.

• Like 1

stubbornly sticking with a rear engined layout despite everyone else putting the engine in the middle.

the most telling thing is for the 911 RSR cars they've shifted the engine forward in the chassis so it handles better... so... the top tier porsche GT racecar is now essentially a cayman.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

stubbornly sticking with a rear engined layout despite everyone else putting the engine in the middle.

the most telling thing is for the 911 RSR cars they've shifted the engine forward in the chassis so it handles better... so... the top tier porsche GT racecar is now essentially a cayman.

Stubbornly sticking to selling cars for £100,000+ to an ever eager market. That sounds like a business plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think at the end of the day if funds were not an issue a Boxster 4.0 GTS manual would be my pick but I am considering a 987 3.2s for the moment  but still yet to drive one to compare with the 986. 
Flat six classic is relatively near and seem to have them sorted ready to go.

13 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I think for the majority the 986 is an introduction to Porsche ownership on a budget and really we all want a 911😊

When I purchased mine it cost £20k. I have not added up the subsequent invoices. There’s nothing “budget” about it apart from “over budget” possibly  

Had a proper 911SC hotrod during the time I’ve owned my 986. Massive sense of occasion - not as much fun as my lil’ ol’ Boxster.  

Also why is when 911 gets modded it's an outlaw or hotrod but a Boxster modded is just that or worse messed / barried. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, map said:

When I purchased mine it cost £20k. I have not added up the subsequent invoices. There’s nothing “budget” about it apart from “over budget” possibly  

Had a proper 911SC hotrod during the time I’ve owned my 986. Massive sense of occasion - not as much fun as my lil’ ol’ Boxster.  

The clue was is my sentence ‘majority’

Not everyone!

20 hours ago, brillomaster said:

its a weird one from me... while i'd love a 987, i can't ever see myself in a 981. electric steering i could live with (though would prefer hydraulic - the steering on my 986 is great) but I don't like the design language of a 981 particularly, and would never consider a 4 cylinder boxster. and i dont say 'never' very often!

You've said 'never' twice in one post/sentence, how often is that  :laugh:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, McDonald said:

From a car design PoV, the Boxster (and Cayman) is superior to the 911 - with the exception of the GT1, which has its engine in the right place.

2 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

From a car design PoV, the Boxster (and Cayman) is superior to the 911 - with the exception of the GT1, which has its engine in the right place.

I drive a Boxster & I'm very proud of it. The 911 in all it's iterations is highly desirable. Both cars have beautiful lines and share a pedigree. The 911 has the status.

Don't disagree @McDonald, I like 911s and window shop for them now and again, but mainly the older stuff. I will get an air-cooled car one day...

36 minutes ago, McDonald said:

The 911 in all it's iterations is highly desirable. The 911 has the status.

...however, there's also this...

52620268675_13bfee8c9b_c.jpg

That's from a good friend of mine. Serial Pork owner (and currently has a 911). He's white, but not middle aged...

6 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Don't disagree @McDonald, I like 911s and window shop for them now and again, but mainly the older stuff. I will get an air-cooled car one day...

...however, there's also this...

52620268675_13bfee8c9b_c.jpg

That's from a good friend of mine. Serial Pork owner (and currently has a 911). He's white, but not middle aged...

I'd be happy for anyone to mistake me for middle-aged.😁

Young people who can afford to drive 911s are mostly spoilt children or villains.

11 minutes ago, McDonald said:

Young people who can afford to drive 911s are mostly spoilt children or villains.

Aside from the spoilt children and villains, are 911 owners typically bald, aging folk?

Edited by K.I.T.T.
Typo

1 minute ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Aside from the spoilt children and villains, are 911 owners typically bald, aging folk?

Hey, I moved up to a 911 996, I have hair and I was 31 lol. 

I kept the Boxster until September last year though before I thought sensibly for once and decided to sell it and keep one porsche. 

Had a 911 ( air cooled ) and a 987.2 beats it hands down in every sports car aspect .

But the market is distorted by guys who are newbies thinking ( clever marketing) the 911 is better .

Which is good news for proper car guys if you think about it because it makes boxsters more accessible.

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Yes. My 911 owning younger brother is bald as a badger. Though younger than me, he'd probably be flattered if described as middle-aged. To be fair, he did have hair when he got his first 911 and couldn't be described as old (late 20s).

I've come to believe my failure to go bald is the only explanation for me not having a shiny, new 911.

But I do enjoy the Boxster immensely.

my work had 2 911 owners - one was a very early 996 C2 with aero kit, and the other a slightly later 996 C4S. both were late 20s, early 30s. another guy is looking at picking up a 997 C4, pretty sure he is about 27.

i think the only thing that would make me want to swap my 986 boxster for one would be the bigger engines available in the 911. the C4S has about 350bhp, which would be very useful. but obviously the whole car is exactly the same from the b pillar forward.

3 hours ago, brillomaster said:

my work had 2 911 owners - one was a very early 996 C2 with aero kit, and the other a slightly later 996 C4S. both were late 20s, early 30s. another guy is looking at picking up a 997 C4, pretty sure he is about 27.

i think the only thing that would make me want to swap my 986 boxster for one would be the bigger engines available in the 911. the C4S has about 350bhp, which would be very useful. but obviously the whole car is exactly the same from the b pillar forward.

Not exactly the same, they have the uglier lights on the facelift 996.  A 996 C4S is my dream car. Even with its ugly lights!