Moving up from a 986 to a 987

bally4563

I can imagine this could be quite a emotive subject, however most of the peeps in here started out with a 986 as I did, but having owned multiple 987 … would I go back ..nah!

Personally I just think the 987 is just that little but more evolved.

There's a clear decade move on in interior and exterior design and more modern electronics, but is the driving experience that much different?

Open question, as I've only driven a 987 for a few miles as opposed to 4 years in a 986.

My 987 is a better car in every respect but my 986 was somehow more of an event, as I have said before, a 986 in Ireland is not viable for tax reasons, if it were, I may have considered going back.

As I said a very emotive subject open to a great deal of debate.  Not ever going to  knock a 986 got me in the saddle so to speak.. but for me a 987 just makes the experience that more enjoyable 

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

As I said a very emotive subject open to a great deal of debate.  Not ever going to  knock a 986 got me in the saddle so to speak.. but for me a 987 just makes the experience that more enjoyable 

I suppose you welcome the comfort when you’re getting on a bit😀

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I suppose you welcome the comfort when you’re getting on a bit😀

🖕a previous peep possibly defined it the first is quite raw where the latter is a little more refined

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

🖕a previous peep possibly defined it the first is quite raw where the latter is a little more refined

And if you fully understand where I coming from I totally take the 986 as a excellent car .. but for me the next transition ticks all the boxes!!

There is a subliminal message in the "moving up" as though the 986 is inferior. It's undoubtedly newer and more modern and generally that means more refined and comfrortable as that is the trend across nearly all cars. 

Nobody talks about moving up from 993 to a 997 or an Alfa 105 GTV to a new Giulia or from a MK1 or 2 Golf to a MK3 of MK4 Golf. 

The same applies to the term 'upgrade'. It's an easy way to try and justify your spending and add some perceived value but for parts and mods it's normally more appropriate to say uprated or updated rather than upgraded. 

i started in a 986 two years ago, but even then the car i really wanted was a 987. planning on swapping over in the spring. i'm not expecting the driving experience to be hugely different, but there are a myriad of other little things (interior much more modern, gearchange, seats, exterior looks, a touch more power, bigger wheels) that i think will be really beneficial.

Just to put a spanner in the works..... how about the subtle change within the models... ie: 986.1 to a 986.2 and 987.1 to 987.2.....?

Loved my 1st Boxster.. 2003 2.7 manual, twas got me into the brand without breaking the bank.... now lucky to own a manual 2.9 987.2... love it too.

Two completely different cars in many ways but also massively similar and the essence hasn't been lost in transition.... both are top notch drivers cars...!!!

New car day on picking both up nearly 8 years apart was WOW WOW WOW.... that's the thing, they both feel special in their own right and that's what makes you feel special driving them.

Si.

6 minutes ago, brillomaster said:

i started in a 986 two years ago, but even then the car i really wanted was a 987. planning on swapping over in the spring. i'm not expecting the driving experience to be hugely different, but there are a myriad of other little things (interior much more modern, gearchange, seats, exterior looks, a touch more power, bigger wheels) that i think will be really beneficial.

I've never driven a 986 but my 987.1 is a very satisfying drive. I'll be interested in your observations after you've made the trade. I don't think there's much difference to the interior, they both have a period feel - which I like. The exterior styling of the 987 is slightly more pleasing to my eye but it's detail really. They're both beautiful with simple, curved lines.

• Like 2

I went from a 986 3.2 to a 987.1 3.2 to a 987.1 3.4. I am 6ft3 and found the extra space in the 987 a bonus. The biggest difference is in the interior, the 986 is very 1980's and the 987 is a lot more modern.

Not a lot in it in performance as the power difference is only small really.

12 hours ago, edc said:

There is a subliminal message in the "moving up" as though the 986 is inferior. It's undoubtedly newer and more modern and generally that means more refined and comfrortable as that is the trend across nearly all cars. 

Nobody talks about moving up from 993 to a 997 or an Alfa 105 GTV to a new Giulia or from a MK1 or 2 Golf to a MK3 of MK4 Golf. 

The same applies to the term 'upgrade'. It's an easy way to try and justify your spending and add some perceived value but for parts and mods it's normally more appropriate to say uprated or updated rather than upgraded. 

Similar to those who talk about moving up / upgrading to a 911. Some are happy with the change, others found it wasn't really what they wanted and changed back to a Boxster.

There is a hint of "rose tinted specs" to my memory of my 986, in truth it really only became that good with all the mods, the standout ones being the short shift with roller bearings and BAD side arm, the tubular headers, 200 cell cats,  bypass and centre console delete. The wheels and MO30 made it aesthetically better. Would I want to go back to a standard 986 and not do those same mods again. No.

4 hours ago, JonSta said:

Have to say the 981 is a big step up from the 987 too. Course you have to live with the electrc steering but it's a much better all round car. Doesn't make the earlier ones bad. Just a bit different. Under the skin they're all the same thing.

Is the handling better behaved? From many reviews by journo's the driving experience is more diluted with each generation becoming more remote.

My own reservations are the electric steering, 4cyls (if that's what it has), oversized wheels for the weight i.e. 20" or more as you get less feedback on those, way too many electronic gizmos to go wrong and aesthetics of post 987 models to me are not classic Porsche i.e. they've changed the design language for the range to try and look contemporary but just navigated closer to a Hyundai.. This could be exactly what YOU want though and in which case np from me :)

🍿

its a weird one from me... while i'd love a 987, i can't ever see myself in a 981. electric steering i could live with (though would prefer hydraulic - the steering on my 986 is great) but I don't like the design language of a 981 particularly, and would never consider a 4 cylinder boxster. and i dont say 'never' very often!

5 hours ago, fewtrees said:

aesthetics of post 987 models to me are not classic Porsche i.e. they've changed the design language for the range to try and look contemporary but just navigated closer to a Hyundai..

Excuse me, it was well established on here when they came out that they were just like the Mk3 MR2.

Hyundai, indeed...

• Like 1

i dunno, a 911 hasn't ever been top of my list - can't get over the 'engine in the wrong place' issue... but then again, porsche has never made the ideal car - a boxster GT3. imagine, the 3.8 litre or 4.0 litre mezger flat 6, correctly placed in the middle of the car...

if i did ever find myself in a 911 it'll likely be a daily. and if its a daily, it'll likely be an auto. the weekend car will remain a manual, with the engine in the middle.