Frozen windows not dropping

Happy Days

Unusal one; yesterday and this morning my car was iced up and needed a scraping of the screen before setting off. However, the driver's door window wouldn't drop to clear the canvas roof as it was frozen up and I didn't want to pull it clear. I got aroung this by using the long press to open the roof a bit which allowed the door to open, but has anyone else got an alternative solution?

Gummi Pflege only work if the glass is sticking to the seal round the hood.  The problem is usually that it is frozen in the rubber seal along the bottom of the window into the top off the door.  Took several goes with warm water to free The Better ½'s Golf Cabrio door glass this morning and that has had many a treatment with Gummi Pflege on the seals for the glass in the hood.

The Boxster is sitting nicely wrapped up under its half cover and is going nowhere in this weather.

• Like 1

I agree with this 👆mine freeze along the bottom edge of the window. I can also confirm that my experiment of putting silicone grease along that rubber just gave me smeared glass and didn’t stop the window from being stuck.

On mine its usually the seal below the outer seal which can be seen. I insert a thin plastic card like scraper to release the window. Hot water in a zipbag resting against the visible seal helps.

• Like 1

This morning I faced a well frozen Boxster and found that the only answer to get the window to drop was, as suggested by @brillonmaster was to run hand hot water along the bottom of the window, 

It had rained the previous evening and the wet glass had frozen to the door rubbers, rather than the roof. 

Just now, 224 Peter said:

This morning I faced a well frozen Boxster and found that the only answer to get the window to drop was, as suggested by @brillonmaster was to run hand hot water along the bottom of the window, 

It had rained the previous evening and the wet glass had frozen to the door rubbers, rather than the roof. 

Stick it under one of these...(981 version fits 718)

https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-981-premium.html

I have one...but it requires anticipation and forward planning. I'm not good at either...

And what do you do with the wet, frozen thing when you take it off? 

I need to sell the Morgan, then the Porsche can go into the garage!! 

Just now, 224 Peter said:

I have one...but it requires anticipation and forward planning. I'm not good at either...

Mine hangs in the garage when not in use and no I can't get my car in there.

Yup sounds like clearing your garage is another fix.

14 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

I fold mine up (Cabrio Shield Premium) on itself bring int eh front. back and sides up onto the roof then fold in half again so all the wet faces are inside and it sits on a shelf in the porch.  Even if it is damp/wet it just runs off when you unfold it back on to the car.

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

I casually drape it over a small sofa in a room we don’t use everyday, shout “goodbye” as I go to work to distract the family and hope no-one noticed the dripping water by the time I get home again. Works most of the time.

• Haha 2

tap water in a sports drinking bottle sits by the front door this time of year.  I poor along drivers window until empty - seems to be the right measure if above -5

Once in and car set to de-frost, I fill up my freezer bag with warm water from tap and wipe over windscreen - then QUICKLY hit the wipers before that freezes too.

Then it's back to the sports bottle to refill with cold water. This gets squirted out the window when stopped, if the Porsche washer pipes are frozen.

Simples, yet very effective

And no products including those mentioned above make any difference to the ease of getting into a frozen Porsche. I've tried them all and many more over the years, including ceramic coatings and spray de-icers.

sports drinking bottle of warm water if the front washer jets are frozen is a good idea! couldve done with that on the way in this morning... slowly salting windscreen, but i knew if i tried to wash it the washers would be frozen, so i'd just smear salt over the windscreen. 

boxsters aren't really designed for this weather... roll on the spring i say!

the jets are permanently heated ! - alas the engineers neglected to insulate the pipes or the reservoir. 

My guess is they were VW engineers that are used to front engine cars where the heat of the engine defrosts it all 😀 

37 minutes ago, Patt said:

the jets are permanently heated ! - alas the engineers neglected to insulate the pipes or the reservoir. 

My guess is they were VW engineers that are used to front engine cars where the heat of the engine defrosts it all 😀 

Funnily enough this issue is driving me crazy with my i3.  No engine, no heat = frozen washer jets all the bloody time!!!!

I had to stop this morning, in a forest, in complete darkness and pour screen wash from a 5l bottle over my windscreen.

On 1/17/2023 at 3:04 PM, Happy Days said:

Unusal one; yesterday and this morning my car was iced up and needed a scraping of the screen before setting off. However, the driver's door window wouldn't drop to clear the canvas roof as it was frozen up and I didn't want to pull it clear. I got aroung this by using the long press to open the roof a bit which allowed the door to open, but has anyone else got an alternative solution?

Should be fine to open it. There's enough flex in the glass for that (987 here). I've used the heel of my fist to dunt the window a few times along the base where it meets the door & found that's generally enough to free the glass so that it pops down. Careful when closing the door if it hasn't; you can push the top of the glass over enough to close, at least from the outside.

Thanks for all the options. I tried the "warm water in a bag" trick to defrost the screen on our McCann - but it was back in December when the really cold temps were in and the bag just tore on the icy lumps. Mind you, it was a crappy biodegradable bag used for the small green bin. Maybe it's best just for frost! Big defrost on the way next week so it won't be an issue then!

37 minutes ago, cptspaulding said:

Should be fine to open it. There's enough flex in the glass for that (987 here). I've used the heel of my fist to dunt the window a few times along the base where it meets the door & found that's generally enough to free the glass so that it pops down. Careful when closing the door if it hasn't; you can push the top of the glass over enough to close, at least from the outside.

This was much easier in the older cars - the newer ones have a hard plate under the fabric for the duration of the window.

I would also point out your method will burn out the window regulator as it continues to try to force itself open.  If it manages to just overheat- it will only need resetting for upper and lower limits. Failure to reset will result in no one touch and a possible closure issue.