Thinking about selling my 987.1 3.4s 2007

Arl30

Prices are all over the place what would be a good price for my 2007 Boxster 3.4 s 6 speed manual in Guards red ? I just replaced the front tyres to Michelin pilot 4s 8mm  to match the rears both  are 6mm also 4s , the car was a forum members car on here it had a service on the 11/10/22 at 53627 miles mot at same time no advisories  , current miles 53733 sorned over winter . 

I just cant justify keeping the car to do a few thousand miles a year , it has heated sports seats , carnewall exhaust sounds amazing , updated infotainment with blue tooth , waves etc, sports chrono , zunsport grills , cruise control , steering wheel retrim by royal , Zenon head lights etc 

The car drives very well , brakes are good to excellent , 6 speed short shifter precise , has 4/5 stone chips on the bonnet never bothered me , paint is sharp and soft top in good condition . 

thanks in advance !

Here is a list of the codes 

C16 , XCZ ,  XRP , 026 , 245 , 267 , 268 , 288 , 342 , 375 , 376 , 403 , 424 , 502 , 551 , 567 , 573 , 601 , 639 , 680 , 810 , 983 

Also has factory fitted 5mm spacers , 19" Carrera S wheels , Bi - Xenon , wind deflector , Bose surround sound , auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors with integrated rain sensor , sport shifter , auto climate control , floor mats , top tinted windscreen .

Assuming you have registered on autotrader, you can add your reg to “the vehicles you own” and see a book guide price for part ex / private sale. (Like a wbac valuation but without the spam)

Compare that price to other similar vehicles for sale, and decide how serious you are about selling it, a good price for your vehicle, as you requested, should be obvious.

Asking the opinions of existing owners who may have a vested interest in inflating values, could lead to unrealistic suggestions, leading to disappointment in your desired outcome.

Edited by Philc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Philc said:

Assuming you have registered on autotrader, you can add your reg to “the vehicles you own” and see a book guide price for part ex / private sale. (Like a wbac valuation but without the spam)

Compare that price to other similar vehicles for sale, and decide how serious you are about selling it, a good price for your vehicle, as you requested, should be obvious.

Asking the opinions of existing owners who may have a vested interest in inflating values, could lead to unrealistic suggestions, leading to disappointment in your desired outcome.

Not sure about 987s but they don't price my 986, too old....

What people list things for is not always what they sell for though

Advertise it for sale at a price you want, if it does not sell then you need to drop the price. The problem you have is there are a few 987.2 3.4 for sale around £16-£18k which is a better bet than your 987.1 ( cheaper road tax, no risk of bore score, etc etc)

• Like 1

Auto Trader. An example below.

2010 Red Porsche Boxster 3.4 987 S 2dr for sale for £15,995 in Reading, Berkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

As said, you can list your car for whatever you want, but listing it and selling it are 2 different things.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Bike Loon
  • Like 1

Advertise it on a free site if you want to test the water. I've used Pistonheads in the past (is it still free? I don't know).

Loads of Porsches for sale at the moment and asking prices way too optimistic.  

Look at eBay and auction sold prices for a real valuation and hope for an extra 10-15% on top for a private sale . 

Edited by Codfanglers

If only there was a website full of Boxster enthusiasts it could be advertised on for free  ? ;)

If it were me I'd ask myself what I'd be prepared for it go for and go from there.

Ultimately though it will go for what someone will pay for it.

GLWTS 👍

Edited by iborguk
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, Arl30 said:

Hi thanks for all the comments , as it stands the car has no real expected costs for the next couple of years so I may just keep it . 

Standing it ( esp outside ) will bring on expenditure.If you haven’t time , can’t justify the £££ , standing it cold on the drive or face fuel costs .But does it cost running it ? As if you weren’t running about in the box you would burning fossil fuel in something else .

A unused parked outside = unloved msg sent out = harder to hook a buyer .

As others use WBAC or others to find the true value .That’s yesterday’s auction btw .

Add a bit a grand on for the private buyer and spec .Sorry to say this specs hardly worth much @ auction , in the trade .

As others have intimated there are tinternet owner s groups talking up spec and equally talking down risk .Risk in terms of M96 / M97 bore score + IMS failure of a 987.1 As time goes by 987.1 s are gonna be harder to shift as they age and 987.s the high milers start to overlap.I think that’s already happening.

So off load it ASAP .There’s no merit hanging on to it .Take an early lower haircut now rather than wait 2 yrs for a more severe haircut + big bill in the meantime .

The truth is the auction results hence my WBAC ( or similar) starting point and go from there .

What do they say btw ? 

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

My brutal take on it is that prices have been inflated for about 3 years and a correction is now visible, ie they are falling.  Yours will only fall anyway, as nearly all cars do.  If you want to minimise your loss, sell now for what you can while the price is slightly inflated, rather than in a year or two when it should be noticeably lower and you risk chasing the market downwards. I think you'll make a small loss now or a larger one later. 

YMMV (your market may vary :) )

Good luck either way.

• Like 1

Hi thanks it lives in a garage .

I have only done 2k miles since purchase so not likely to do much more than that over the next couple of years . Most people are saying that it is worth spending more  money on a 987.2 with double the mileage with no history  . webuyanycar.com quote £8205 ( should be re named we take the p*ss . com )  , BCA £12400  , none of it makes sense , cars on autotrader.co.uk 2007 3.4s no toys no history 58k miles £14495 private , 2007 3.4s poor history lots of advisories and mot fails , no toys £19995 58k miles dealer . So nearly a 12k difference for the same car .

Its quite interesting to think that these cars are put down for bore scoring and imminent big bills by the same forum that tells everyone how great their cars are , in an ideal world we would all be able to afford new cars ( electric milk floats ) and have no problems . The forum member I bought the car off was a great guy that looked after the car well , replacing parts , servicing and taking pride in the car something I also have carried on to find out now that the car is basically a ticking time bomb . 

So my question is do I tell the next owner that it is not worth buying as it is about to implode or lie and ask for 20k getting ready to flee the country the next day ? 

Wait a month or so till better weather, ebay with a reserve you would let the car go at and anything above is a bonus.

At the end of the day the current market dictates the price if you need/want to sell, if you don’t NEED to sell then you can set your own price and hope to achieve it. 

• Like 1

I think the advice is that if you want to sell it, put it up for sale, advertise it, name your price and see if anyone turns up to buy it. If you ask too much, it won't sell and you have lost the price of advertising. 

If you want to sell it quickly, you could name your price on here (£10k perhaps), and hope someone is looking to buy, but don't expect 'dealer price' for it. 

I wouldn't wait for two years expecting to get more money though, the bubble is slowly bursting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arl30 said:

Hi thanks it lives in a garage .

I have only done 2k miles since purchase so not likely to do much more than that over the next couple of years . Most people are saying that it is worth spending more  money on a 987.2 with double the mileage with no history  . webuyanycar.com quote £8205 ( should be re named we take the p*ss . com )  , BCA £12400  , none of it makes sense , cars on autotrader.co.uk 2007 3.4s no toys no history 58k miles £14495 private , 2007 3.4s poor history lots of advisories and mot fails , no toys £19995 58k miles dealer . So nearly a 12k difference for the same car .

Its quite interesting to think that these cars are put down for bore scoring and imminent big bills by the same forum that tells everyone how great their cars are , in an ideal world we would all be able to afford new cars ( electric milk floats ) and have no problems . The forum member I bought the car off was a great guy that looked after the car well , replacing parts , servicing and taking pride in the car something I also have carried on to find out now that the car is basically a ticking time bomb . 

So my question is do I tell the next owner that it is not worth buying as it is about to implode or lie and ask for 20k getting ready to flee the country the next day ? 

Private price may be high if it is a caring owner (like you) who want to get a good price for their pride and joy and allow some negotiation space.  Dealer price will be high to cover warranty, preparation, pre-sale work, new MOT etc.  BCA is an auction guestimate.  The real price lies somewhere in between.  If you present it well with LOTS of pictures and information and in a well prepared condition you should attract the interest of enthusiasts who know what they are looking for.  Try a price you'd like and if the phone doesn't ring you know you are too high for the market and can reprice the ad, or hold on to it for a bit longer and try later in the summer.  There's Easter in a couple of weeks, a bit of sun will stimulate the market and selling over one of the three bank holiday weekends in May (1st, 8th and 29th May are BHs) could be a good tactic as people will have time beyond ordinary weekends to do things like look at cars....

What dou YOU think it’s worth?

Stick it on autotrader or pistonheads (I’d avoid eBay) and see if you get any bites.nice pictures and a well written advert make all the difference .

list all the work that’s been done on it as anyone that knows what they are looking at will want to know anyway.