Sport button on manual 981

carl s

Having read lots about Sportplus and Sport buttons on PDK cars, I haven't seen much on what the normal Sport button does on a normal manual car. Today I pressed the button for the first time (relatively new car to me) and the exhaust tone changed which was a surprise as I don't have a sports exhaust. I did notice the throttle pedal was more aggressive/sensitive and start/stop was disabled.

Is there anything else Sport does on a manual car with no PSE or PASM? Also how does it manage to change the tone of the exhaust without the PSE valves?

It raises the idle revs a little, allows more slip before the stability control kicks in and raises the red line another 500rpm. It will dump in more fuel to go for performance rather than economy, so more bang probably equals more noise.

it also allows more engine cooling. Next time you are ruising on the motorway  - look at your oil or water temps, then press the sports button and watch them reduce.

6 minutes ago, Patt said:

it also allows more engine cooling. Next time you are ruising on the motorway  - look at your oil or water temps, then press the sports button and watch them reduce.

Blimey! this car definitely is 'rocket science'.

Having just sold my 987.2, I'm stil playing with all the buttons and settings in this 981S PDK, it's both interesting and great fun.

One spectacular difference is the 100% better 981 chassis, what a masterpiece. It handles any surface much, much, better than the 987.

It may even offset the less engaging drive that the 987 was. As an upcoming septagenarian, maybe that's a 'good thing'? 😁

Though this may sound 'off topic', it isn't really, as the newer/better chassis allows a much greater control (and driver perception) of the capabilities of the car via the 'Sport' and other interactive settings.

I'm rapidly growing to prefer this one.

I got bored after about 180 pages of manuals, but there are lost of clever and equally overengineered things the newer cars do.  Many are linked nd some are even temperature dependent. 

Eg every fifth time you shut down - the wipers will self wiggle to ensure they have a clean surface

2 hours ago, Patt said:

Really? I didn't know that thanks

7 minutes ago, carl s said:

Really? I didn't know that thanks

Stuart has advised that you can get the PCM to text someone your satnav ETA.....I've never bothered in all the years to try/test that

• Like 1

Also, probably common knowledge around here, but if you press the key locking button twice in quick succession it will lock the car without arming the alarm. Handy for the many occasions we travel to the Isle of Wight and don't want the alarm to sound every two minutes on the ferry ☺️

50 minutes ago, Patt said:

ok, an easy one:  If you hold the unlock button on your key the roof will go down.  

Same applies to closing with the lock button

erm, this might be difficult in my case 😉

41 minutes ago, Davey P said:

Also, probably common knowledge around here, but if you press the key locking button twice in quick succession it will lock the car without arming the alarm. Handy for the many occasions we travel to the Isle of Wight and don't want the alarm to sound every two minutes on the ferry ☺️

Wasn't aware I had an alarm thanks 👍

• Haha 1

You need the angle grinder improvement for a Cayman 🤣

OK - you can set preferences such as air con and dash brightness for each key and I think how long the DRLs stay on at night after you turn off the car.

Also there are many parameters you can monitor on the right cluster screen

With a PIWIS you can turn on the auto sensing wiper option for free.

44 minutes ago, Patt said:

You need the angle grinder improvement for a Cayman 🤣

OK - you can set preferences such as air con and dash brightness for each key and I think how long the DRLs stay on at night after you turn off the car.

Also there are many parameters you can monitor on the right cluster screen

With a PIWIS you can turn on the auto sensing wiper option for free.

yes I've heard that, but I don't know anyone with PIWIS 😞

next service - ask nicely 😉

There is also a setting in the PWIS for the auto start stop - options are:

1 - ALWAYS ON (UK)

2 - ALWAYS OFF (USA)

3 - Remember lass setting (great for those on extended warranty)

Last ones from me:

The boot light only works when it's dark enough outside, not every time you open the boot.

The spoiler will always one-touch on the switch to go up, but only one touch down if car is moving.If car is stationary you must hold the switch down

Edited by Patt

5 hours ago, Davey P said:

Definitely worth knowing and something I had to get out of the habit of as on most cars a "double click" on the lock button arms the alarm and deadlocks the doors. On a 981 it'll leave your car exposed somewhat. 

33 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Definitely worth knowing and something I had to get out of the habit of as on most cars a "double click" on the lock button arms the alarm and deadlocks the doors. On a 981 it'll leave your car exposed somewhat. 

Yeah, I only use that function when the car is on the ferry. It's pretty unlikely to get nicked on there 😂

4 hours ago, Patt said:

There is also a setting in the PWIS for the auto start stop - options are:

1 - ALWAYS ON (UK)

2 - ALWAYS OFF (USA)

3 - Remember lass setting (great for those on extended warranty)

I need to find someone with PIWIS local to me, the stop-start bugs the hell out of me on both cars.

Edited by CMA

26 minutes ago, CMA said:

I need to find someone with PIWIS local to me, the stop-start bugs the hell out of me on both cars.

You mean not everyone presses sport plus before even starting the engine 🙄 

14 minutes ago, Jonners said:

You mean not everyone presses sport plus before even starting the engine 🙄 

Nope, too busy putting the roof down first 😛

Sports Plus also makes the PDK hold gears until almost the redline, so not very road friendly :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Yeah, I only use that function when the car is on the ferry. It's pretty unlikely to get nicked on there 😂

On the 987 double click on the lock button arms the alarm but not the interior or tilt sensors.  So you still have doors and boot(s).  I suspect 981 might be the same.  

@Patt "3 - Remember lass setting (great for those on extended warranty)"

Probably useful in this day and age, I wasn't aware they came with a warranty, mine has definitely developed some faults over time , where exactly do I register my claim?

• Haha 1