Who has a throttle controller gizmo and willing to share experiences?

Dubdubz

There are a few makes out there - Racehip XLR, Wind Booster, Pedal Commander Sprint booster and likely a couple more...

They all do the same sort of thing [supposedly!] which is to convert % pedal pressed into either more or less %, so in super race mode 10% throttle could be 40% or so the theory goes....

Anyways - wondered who has one on their 987, preferably a 2.7 as thats what I have right now...and if you think it was a good buy or not, if you felt it did make a difference and if so one you could leave in and use all the time on a setting you felt was 'right'

I've asked a couple of tuners - not rolling road ones - if they do anything with the throttle and the responses were mixed and vague... if my 987.2 or 981 quest doesnt happen then I thinking of one of these to 'liven' it up a little on the acceleration front or perceived 'liven'

thanks in advance!

D

Strikes me as pointless just to change the sensitivity of the throttle.

My 987.1 has sport mode. This changes the sensitivity of the throttle, (feels like it gives more low down torque but can’t find any proper info on this to confirm this ). The main difference is that you only have to depress the throttle slightly to gain much more throttle.

When switched in, on track it is great. Car is rolling much faster than on road and the whole experience gels.

Leave it switched in on the road and the over sensitive throttle makes slow driving and especially pulling away a bit of a pain.

The standard mode for road driving feels just right in the real world on our overcrowded roads.

My advice is to swap for a 3.4 as the extra torque in real world driving is quite noticeable although flat out performance isn’t hugely different. For instance, a 3.4 will pull smoothly from 1,500 rpm in a high gear easily.

35 minutes ago, phazed said:

Strikes me as pointless just to change the sensitivity of the throttle.

My 987.1 has sport mode. This changes the sensitivity of the throttle, (feels like it gives more low down torque but can’t find any proper info on this to confirm this ). The main difference is that you only have to depress the throttle slightly to gain much more throttle.

When switched in, on track it is great. Car is rolling much faster than on road and the whole experience gels.

Leave it switched in on the road and the over sensitive throttle makes slow driving and especially pulling away a bit of a pain.

The standard mode for road driving feels just right in the real world on our overcrowded roads.

My advice is to swap for a 3.4 as the extra torque in real world driving is quite noticeable although flat out performance isn’t hugely different. For instance, a 3.4 will pull smoothly from 1,500 rpm in a high gear easily.

Thanks, this was my exact reason for the post - cars like mine that I am happy with mostly-  it could just be peppy-ier and does not have a sport button - I think it does in essence the same thing - some oem sports buttons of course adjust suspension too.

Anyway I was after folks that had one - seen a few posts with a mention but they were scattered and so I was thinking we could get some info in one place - real world stuff especially for those that chose a 2.7 [mainly as it had PSE,ext leather, GT silver, 19" lobsters , heated seats, upgraded later steering wheel and low miles, its gor bose too but now I know I wouldn't care about that]

I have been looking on and off and not found a 987.2 as yet - I'm not doing a 987.1 3.4 as £700 a year tax is daft - I can tax, insure and have £100 in change...

Sorry drifted off topic then 😉

After market throttle controllers who has 'em ?

4 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

you're not helping 🤣

It's all about the options, I'd personally get the car fixed,  try some others so you can work out whether you want to keep it , mod it or drive something else ;)

"Helping (tm)" 👍

Edited by iborguk

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

It's all about the options, I'd personally get the car fixed,  try some others so you can work out whether you want to keep it , mod it or drive something else ;)

"Helping (tm)" 👍

🤣

and I’m hoping we may get some responses on this to help decide on the mod option….

waiting on parts now, plus me being brave on the manifold bolts, as I think that’s where the leak is

• Like 1

By pressing the Sport button does it not also reduce the PSM sensitivity? 

I know that @bally4563 after moving from the RS60 with Chrono to the Sport Edition without Chrono he felt it was lacking & sorted himself out a Sprint Booster. 

On my 987.2 Sport mode feels quite normal. Having neither Sport or S+ pressed feels very sluggish and flat to me although it's fine for a bit of commuting/traffic jams. 

3 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I know that @bally4563 after moving from the RS60 with Chrono to the Sport Edition without Chrono he felt it was lacking & sorted himself out a Sprint Booster. 

On my 987.2 Sport mode feels quite normal. Having neither Sport or S+ pressed feels very sluggish and flat to me although it's fine for a bit of commuting/traffic jams. 

Thanks - most 987 models don't have a sport button as an option afaik ? so this is why I was asking for feedback - primarily for the 2.7 but also on the 3.2 

If they're junk then I can soon find circa £200 to spend elsewhere - I liked the idea but as always youtube/internet is contradictory. Figured real owners would be a good way of finding this out...

and this thread may drift into the ether of nothingness as far as I am concerned if I pony up and buy a 981 😉 which has sport, sport+ and chrono.... oh and PSE ... and ...

2 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

Thanks, this was my exact reason for the post - cars like mine that I am happy with mostly-  it could just be peppy-ier and does not have a sport button - I think it does in essence the same thing - some oem sports buttons of course adjust suspension too.

Anyway I was after folks that had one - seen a few posts with a mention but they were scattered and so I was thinking we could get some info in one place - real world stuff especially for those that chose a 2.7 [mainly as it had PSE,ext leather, GT silver, 19" lobsters , heated seats, upgraded later steering wheel and low miles, its gor bose too but now I know I wouldn't care about that]

I have been looking on and off and not found a 987.2 as yet - I'm not doing a 987.1 3.4 as £700 a year tax is daft - I can tax, insure and have £100 in change...

Sorry drifted off topic then 😉

After market throttle controllers who has 'em ?

There's a few folk on here that likely share the same opinion & having test driven a couple the 987.1 3.4 is still a RAW machine it just felt like someone had stuck a 911 engine in my 986. Although I love my 987.2 some of that is lost within it all & not necessarily the gearbox. 

Moving from my 986 2.7 to a 3.4 the 2.7 is a beast I think the only area the 987 feels nicer on in terms of slinging it down the road are the overtakes are a bit less intense as you can sling shot your way past. 

The torque difference in corners isn't enough for me personally, not the type of corners that challenge a Boxster anyway. Personally that is. In the tight twisty areas there's a fine line between having too much power into each corner and relying on the torque to pull you through them VS having the 2.7 way up in the high revs giving you the same grip 🤘

2 minutes ago, Cocky said:

There's a few folk on here that likely share the same opinion & having test driven a couple the 987.1 3.4 is still a RAW machine it just felt like someone had stuck a 911 engine in my 986. Although I love my 987.2 some of that is lost within it all & not necessarily the gearbox. 

Moving from my 986 2.7 to a 3.4 the 2.7 is a beast I think the only area the 987 feels nicer on in terms of slinging it down the road are the overtakes are a bit less intense as you can sling shot your way past. 

The torque difference in corners isn't enough for me personally, not the type of corners that challenge a Boxster anyway. Personally that is. In the tight twisty areas there's a fine line between having too much power into each corner and relying on the torque to pull you through them VS having the 2.7 way up in the high revs giving you the same grip 🤘

If you want to gauge that I get about 2500-3000miles out of a set of rears & average 13mpg 😅 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

"Interests: Ruining tyres"

I seem to have used up the UK's Sport Contact 6 stock for my sizes Meno! 

Bridgestone now 😬 hopefully they last a bit longerer, I've not had a wet lap to find out if they're any good in those conditions yet but fingers crossed... 

• Haha 1

I had a sprint booster in my R53 Mini. It was a right hoot but the effect wears off pretty quickly. It just makes the pedal shorter, so you can get the same effect by stamping on the pedal faster 😆

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cocky said:

Yes it does.

Can't help with an aftermarket one but (like others on here) I have a 987.1 2.7 with Sport Chrono. This has a 'Sport' button which increases the throttle sensitivity. 

Can I recommend it? Probably not. It does make the car seem more lively as you get more zing for the same amount of throttle pedal movement, but that's about it. It doesn't actually increase the amount of zing overall, just means you have to flex your right ankle a bit less to get to it. I used the button quite a lot when I bought the car but tired of it after a while and seldom use it now. I certainly wouldn't pay £200 for it. 

It also backs off the PSM slightly, and puts the suspension into 'Sport' mode (if you have PASM). 'Sport' mode on the suspension is also known as 'break my spine' mode as it makes the car undrivable on UK roads. On the very occasional smooth road you may find this side of laa-laa-land it is very nice and keeps the car flatter and much more taut, but this comes to a crashing end when you crash into the next pothole/speedbump/road join/whatever. If you live in Europe with roads which don't resemble the cratered far side of the moon it's probably a great invention. 

If the tuners you speak to are being vague I bet it's because they are reselling maps and don't really know what they are selling or how to do it themself. Simplistically and generally there is a map ta me called throttle request and this can be adjusted. 

• Thanks 1

I use a sprint booster as I found my 2.9 throttle a little unresponsive, comparing to a Type R Honda and V6 SLK owned before. I do not have a sport button.

I have it set to a low setting (no. 2 with 10 being the highest most responsive setting) which suits the car, prodding the throttle a little compared to a lot makes it feel more nimble generally, upon first install (really easy) I had it set to 5 but for me it was way too explosive pulling away, It does nothing for the power just feels quicker to respond.  

I enjoy what it does and only paid £100 for it a few years back.

Edited by EVO Chris
  • Like 1

Well funnily enough i have just done this mod on my 981 base, Id come across mention of this little mod and came across one (sprint booster) 2nd hand on ebay pretty cheap @ £70, Id thought the throttle response in normal mode a little lacking in urgency so thought Id give it a try, I also liked the idea of the  lockout mode for security.

Anyroad I've been playing around with it and yes it does work as intended, of course it doesn't really make the car any faster but has the desired effect in normal driving mode.. i tried all sorts of settings in normal mode and settled on 7 but then the throttle became a tad too sensitive in sport mode ( which i mostly drive in unless the missus is in the car) causing some jerky quick pull outs onto main roads, eventually I wound it down to 2 which still improves throttle response in normal driving mode and makes sport not overly sensitive. 

It is a bit of a gimmick I guess but it has made a small improvement to the driving experience, the car very obviously picks up faster with smaller throttle openings so naturally throttle response feels improved and you get some kind of sensation of the car feeling faster even though its not

At 70 quid 2nd hand I dont feel hard done by, not sure Id want to pay full price for a new one though. 

I've not tried it in race mode yet and not sure Id want to on the road to be honest. 

It should be an easy job to install but its a bit of a pig as your current connector does not want to come out without making you work for it in a very uncomfortable position, you do get there eventually albiet with plenty of cursing

• Like 2

Yes I have fitted one , and thoroughly enjoy it, the fact I had to back it off , as I was wheel spinning out of junctions, I also have the DSC which I totally recommend to anyone with PASM

• Like 2