N rated Tyres

P27GLN

My question is not so much about whether N rated tyres are over rated or not, my question is more about where they can be purchased if in my case I don’t want to deal with OPCs anymore

anyone got a source preferably in Scotland who can fit and wheel balance also?

Tyre manufacturers go through the expense of N rating usually to fit them to cars which are brand new or the warranty insists on them. Thus, there are relatively few available for cars out of warranty - and those still available will have been tested and rated (well) over 6 years ago. Meanwhile they keep developing tyres generally.  So it is likely that new tyres not N rated may well be more developed (whatever that means in practice) than those which are N rated. We have particularly seen this with the increase in average wheel size, so the 986 saw N rated for 18 and 17", but I think by now it's not easy to find new(er) ones for 19" as the 981 was pushing 20" wheels, and that was 10 years ago. They don't seem to bother getting N ratings for 18" wheels for example.

I could be wrong but that's what I've picked up here over the years.

• Like 1

Nice.  We all know they were a damn good tyre when they came out, they were the reference for years.  And the PS3 that was presumably supposed to replace them was a real failure by comparison.

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Ok, so playing devils advocate. 

You will have various models of Porsche use the same size tyre no doubt. So how can this be designed for all types?

Tyre technology moves on pretty fast and there are much better tyres out there than the N versions thats for sure.

Pay your money and make your choice... mine will nothave N tyres on when I sell it though ;) 

Just now, Bike Loon said:

Ok, so playing devils advocate. 

You will have various models of Porsche use the same size tyre no doubt. So how can this be designed for all types?

Tyre technology moves on pretty fast and there are much better tyres out there than the N versions thats for sure.

Pay your money and make your choice... mine will nothave N tyres on when I sell it though ;) 

Wasn't say I subscribed to it....

I did look at the N thing in a bit of detail a couple of years ago and the N rated MPS2 at the time was a different weight to a standard MPS2, link here: 944racing

Under the new system it is quite possible to have an NA and NB for the same type of tyre, say MPS5, that could actually be slightly different (compound, construction, tread depth when new even, who knows?)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Not a problem for me either 😁

its a load of marketing BS - its porsche trying to maintain that brand image and prestige. its a load of hot air.

incidentally, Porsche 'BS' rated hot air is exactly 64.6 degrees centigrade, this is specifically engineered, tested and calibrated to provide maximum BS. you must never use hot air that is not 'BS' rated when talking about your porsche, otherwise it may invalidate your warranty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

"The fact that the tyres have been thoroughly tested and approved by Porsche is indicated by their N-marking (the letter stands for “Nürburgring” where the tyres are tested)."

Well that's something new I learned today!

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

"The fact that the tyres have been thoroughly tested and approved by Porsche is indicated by their N-marking (the letter stands for “Nürburgring” where the tyres are tested)."

Well that's something new I learned today!

And you thought you left school decades ago...