Renewal cost circa four times higher than last year!

Picked up my base 2.5 986 last year as a second (maybe third) car and weekend toy.

I have only done a few thousand miles as its mainly kept under a cover on the driveway and used when the sun shines. I got a great price last year with Esure (circa £150) when I insured it, but I just got an email offering to auto renew the policy at well over £500. I know insurance costs are going up but with no accidents or changes in my circumstances I think I will be declining their kind offer.

Any advice on the best place to go for a competitive quote for a 986 as a second car?

Cheers

Jonathan 

I've been using confused.com for years, and usually switch to a different provider every year. Cheap as chips for the Cayman (but then again, I am quite old and have full no claims, which probably helps) so insurance is not a major factor for me ☺️

just do the rounds on the comparison sites, Aviva on compare the market came out cheapest for me, policies will go up as the they dropped quite low due to Buttercup and the lack of claims due to the roads being so quiet, I'm looking at around a 75 quid increase on both my policies but they were unusually low last year, 350 is obviously a bit much though so get shopping around

Cheers, 

I am also middle aged and with a full NCB so I guess its back to the comparison sites. Not sure where Insurers sit when you have full NCB on another vehicle or whether it is worth investigating multi-car policies especially as current renewal dates are spread throughout the year. 

Some companies will mirror your no claims which is handy as you then carry full no claims on your new policy a year later but you usually need a multicar policy for that. I only had multi once to getbthe mirrored no claims and then fpund it cheaper to buy seperately the following years

2000 3.2 S 986 with business use for me and The Better ½, European cover, 7k miles pa, not agreed value parked on my drive in NN15, £192 and I have max NCD (that will be your stumbling block as many required individual NCDs to be built up) with SAGA (if you are 50 or over in the near future).

• 2 weeks later...

My renewal just came in for the Macan - last year £585. Renewal? £1389. No claims, no point, no convictions...full no claims.

So I hit the comparison sites...cheapest was £990. That's a 70% increase on last year. 

Insurance is a racket as far as I can tell. Insurance is a commodity with loads of suppliers and price transparency (via aggregators/comparison sites). The huge price increases many of us are experiencing cannot be explained by "inflation" or "used car values having gone up" or "lack of spares / new cars meaning long and expensive hire car periods". Collusion within the industry seems more believable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dpg123 said:

My renewal just came in for the Macan - last year £585. Renewal? £1389. No claims, no point, no convictions...full no claims.

So I hit the comparison sites...cheapest was £990. That's a 70% increase on last year. 

Insurance is a racket as far as I can tell. Insurance is a commodity with loads of suppliers and price transparency (via aggregators/comparison sites). The huge price increases many of us are experiencing cannot be explained by "inflation" or "used car values having gone up" or "lack of spares / new cars meaning long and expensive hire car periods". Collusion within the industry seems more believable. 

Agreed... and put more simply, they're theiving b`stards

Edited by mr.tourette23

Just re-insured my 2000 2.7 for £156 with Carole Nash. Was over £300 last year but the car is now in the garage. I'm 50 with zero ncb as I have been a company car driver for years and last years insurance was a classic car policy.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My renewal has come through

its doubled in price FFS!!!

On 7/11/2023 at 9:41 PM, dpg123 said:

Mines come through with identical price % increase!!

renewals are always massively inflated, in the hopes that people will just accept them. you always have to go on comparison sites. Every single year

i think in my 15 years of driving so far, i have changed insurer every year - sometimes i'll go back to previous insurers (I've had 4 previous policies with esure, for example) but i have never stuck with an insurer for more than a year. currently my daily is now insured with M&S bank. who i didnt even know did insurance until they popped up on a price comparison site.

loyalty in car insurance means absolutely diddly squat.

same as car breakdown recovery actually, i remember a story a few years back of some old dear who was paying like, £500 a year for RAC cover because she had just auto renewed with them for about 15 years straight.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

my q7 has gone from 1100 to just short of 3k FFS!!!!! 

shopping around frantically as i've been away driving across europe best i can get so far is 1700 - still trumpy for a school bus! 

Least its not got the Range Rover theft tax added in - im speaking to clients paying 5-10k for a RR - EEK

There are videos online suggesting that they are going to make SUVs too expensive to insure for normal people.
Then "non-connected" cars.

Its actually terrifying. I'm glad I'm on the down side of an upward spiral. I fear what future my three teenager are going to have though.

7 hours ago, D8EAN said:

shopping around frantically as i've been away driving across europe best i can get so far is 1700

Do be sure to check what the actual cover is for Europe with the new quotes. Also living in south London, cover levels down and pricing up seems a common thing. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:49 PM, D8EAN said:

Least its not got the Range Rover theft tax added in - im speaking to clients paying 5-10k for a RR - EEK

Is this the newer shape models?

I'm thinking about an L322 which replaced in 2012.

On 12/28/2023 at 4:09 PM, eob said:

There are videos online suggesting that they are going to make SUVs too expensive to insure for normal people.
Then "non-connected" cars.

Its actually terrifying. I'm glad I'm on the down side of an upward spiral. I fear what future my three teenager are going to have though.

He has done a follow up to this

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:52 AM, ATM said:

He has done a follow up to this

Take a shot every time someone says "potential/potentially".  Always the best way of introducing an element of terror into a narrative which has a weak basis in fact.  Try this;  the UK currently hosts over 40 million mass murderers, potentially. FACT.

And all of this is based on the premise that people think they have an absolute right to drive. They don't - it's called a licence.

Spent a few days obtains quotes for my renewal in February; 2 options for me either a mainstream insurer at market value and no guarantee of OEM parts or choice of repairer or a “enthusiast” policy which allows for an agreed value, choice of repairer and OEM parts (including the screen).

Interestingly for both options Aviva were often the underlying policy provider - and despite what I’ve seen written elsewhere on the internet by the doom and gloom merchants they are perfectly happy with PPF.

The best combination of price and benefits for came through the PCGB scheme that Lockton Performance run.  A number of additional benefits such as legal, breakdown, driving other cars, other drivers over 35 included and a not dissimilar price to mainstream policies.  I’ve had a couple of years without an agreed value policy and I’m paying the same now as I was previously.  They even throw in a free PCGB membership which I think is £60+.  And you can self certify the agreed value - I guess they undertake some checks on this.

So for anyone with a more modern or expensive car based on my experience Lockton (who I’ve found expensive before) are at least worth a look.  If it’s your only car though you need to be aware it’s a non NCB generating policy.

• Thanks 1

Just had my multi car renewal through (for 3 in the house). Initial quote was 55% up but got c10% off the quotes so now only an increase of 50% daily (still cheaper than other other company) / 33% Boxster and 25% SWBO increase...Not happy, but daily was exceptionally cheap last year...

I tried a few others - who knew that both Diamond and Elephant are sub brands of Admiral..and take you so far through the quote than tell you are an existing customer and need to log in...via a link that doens't work (404 error)