987 Wheel Bolts - OPC

capeboy

If you paint them with hammerite etc, make sure you line the inside of the socket with a small piece of decent carrier bag material - stops you from marking the new paint of the wheel bolts when replacing.

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

If you paint them with hammerite etc, make sure you line the inside of the socket with a small piece of decent carrier bag material - stops you from marking the new paint of the wheel bolts when replacing.

Or just get one which has a liner already. 

2 hours ago, edc said:

Or just get one which has a liner already. 

Yep, got one of those but in my experience they still mark the edges of repainted wheel bolts. A bit of carrier bag stops any slight movement between socket & bolt preventing damage from occurring.

And a soon as someone uses an impact wench on them the finish goes on the points.  I've painted mine 3 times now in 5 years.  Something to spend a couple of hours or so tinkering on a sunny day.

2 hours ago, T911UK said:

Can you point me in the direction of these? Havent been able to find anything myself

This is the sort of thing. It seems the descriptive word is 'sleeve' 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255002715731?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=y_AW1DPeQ8e&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=fHQFeQRHS5W&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 hour ago, edc said:

This is an outer sleeve to help stop scoring of the paint on the wheel in deeply recessed bolt holes, not convinced it works very well as I have an identical set branded as Pagid.  These have no liner on the inside, just a bit of relief on the points of the hex like all decent impact sockets do, but do have a spacer inside to stop the bolt falling all the way into the socket when you offer it up for refitting.

7 hours ago, Patt said:

none of these issue after a stud and nut conversion, don't even need a silly alignment tool now 😉

So your nuts don't rust then?

On 8/22/2023 at 7:31 PM, capeboy said:

Needed to replace my corroded wheel bolts. Contacted OPC, Tonbridge.....apparently they make them in black ONLY now?!!! (Due to the corrosion issues). That's not right, surely? Black bolts on silver wheels????

Go to the Frazerpart website and get a set of chromium plated bolts like I did 👍

13 hours ago, Amaboknaai said:

What torque would you use with these?

9 hours ago, Pete Collins said:

What torque would you use with these?

No idea, they were fitted by the chaps who refurbished my wheels. I can't see why they'd have a different torque spec as specified in the workshop manual?

15 hours ago, Amaboknaai said:

No idea, they were fitted by the chaps who refurbished my wheels. I can't see why they'd have a different torque spec as specified in the workshop manual?

Depends on the materials they are made out of vs the original OE part. 

For example iirc...

Silver bolts on the 987.1 default torque spec at release was 130Nm (with a retrospective setting of 160Nm).

Black bolts on the 987.2 default torque spec out the gate was 160Nm.

If a third party set of bolts are made out of Camembert or Unobtanium the torque spec may be different but you'd like to think they'd be using an inspec material.....you'd like to think that....

My car, my rules, I like to be the last person to touch the wheel bolts and I like to use a torque wrench not an ugga dugga gun to tighten them.

Edited by iborguk

On 8/25/2023 at 6:32 PM, ½cwt said:

So your nuts don't rust then?

Nope, or the less smug me - not yet 🤣

To be honest it was more the sliding collars that would deteriorate and crumble, rather than rust on the OEM bolts.

• Like 1

I took my BMW to a local tyre fitter I use the other day to check for a very slow puncture (guess what - can't repair that sir. Do you want a new tyre? Errr no!). The fitter replaced the wheel initially with a gun then a torque wrench after checking the correct torque. When I pointed out that he had torqued but not 'cracked' one bolt he said 'that was the security bolt and we are always very careful with them'.