718 flat four turbo.

bandit_287

The 718 GTS I’ve now got is a lovely car, everything about it better than the 981, the styling, interior, handling, steering and infotainment all top the 981 and you can see the progress and evolution of the Boxster. The engine however I am not gelling with at all, on a cold start it taps and rattles like an old Ford crossflow and when it’s up to temperature it sounds like a Subaru Impreza. It’s bloody quick though with stacks of mid range punch that makes overtaking a breeze and rather fun but it’s not a flat six! The flat six is a revvy lovely smooth engine that barks between shifts and sounds amazing. I think if I hadn’t had two flat six Boxsters prior to the 718 then I would be more than happy with the flat four turbo but because I have I’m comparing it to the previous engines every time I drive it. I think I’m going to have to look around for a 718 4.0 next year but they’re damn expensive or possibly go back to a 981 but that would be a backward step compared to the 718. I’d be interested in others thoughts on the flat four. 

23 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

The 718 GTS I’ve now got is a lovely car, everything about it better than the 981, the styling, interior, handling, steering and infotainment all top the 981 and you can see the progress and evolution of the Boxster. The engine however I am not gelling with at all, on a cold start it taps and rattles like an old Ford crossflow and when it’s up to temperature it sounds like a Subaru Impreza. It’s bloody quick though with stacks of mid range punch that makes overtaking a breeze and rather fun but it’s not a flat six! The flat six is a revvy lovely smooth engine that barks between shifts and sounds amazing. I think if I hadn’t had two flat six Boxsters prior to the 718 then I would be more than happy with the flat four turbo but because I have I’m comparing it to the previous engines every time I drive it. I think I’m going to have to look around for a 718 4.0 next year but they’re damn expensive or possibly go back to a 981 but that would be a backward step compared to the 718. I’d be interested in others thoughts on the flat four. 

I had a 4 pot S loaner from my OPC, when I handed it back my service exec asked what I though of it vs my old 981S. I said although I thought the car was quick and was a step up in handling and interior trim, the engine just left me a little flat vs the 6 pot. She said anyone new to the brand loves the car but customers that have gone from the 981 3.4 to the 4 pot 718 tended to either revert to another 981 or try to get into the 4.0.

Sounds a bit like your feelings.

If you can the BGTS 4.0 is just incredible, and now with a Cargraphic valve controller sounds awesome throughout the rev range.

6 pot to a 4 pot is a culture change.  I suspect, though have no experience of the 718, those of us that have had a Subaru flat 4 might get on better, but the howl of a normally aspirated flat 6 on cam is difficult to beat without adding cylinders (an Audi 5 pot may be...) and a 4 pot my just be an aural disappointment, but at least its not electric, yet.....

I had a good long hard think about this before entering the boxter mkt .

Breifly , past 35 yrs .924 , 911 , 968CS , Cayenne, X6 , jag XK 8 ( getting older now 😀) Renault sport spyder , Alfa Spyder , Testarossa, F 360 M F1 , + gen RR products for family hacks .

Now have a Macan SD to cover miles , a Ferrari GT4 Dino , Healey sprite as hobby cars .

Wife wanted a Chesil speedster or real 356 cab - likes the shape I am told .

For the money I just couldn’t bring my self to buy a 4 pot esp a plastic kit car the speedster £30-£40 K s worth .

So Boxster sprung up , the real deal a proper Porsche , a cab to boot .

As you can see ( that’s why I qualified my experience) not too bothered about the ultimate performance, been there had that etc .Plus sprinkle in speed cameras , pot holes , traffic etc today compared to the 80 s when in my twenties I ripped about in a 911 Carrara.

I definitely wanted the FLAT 6 experience again ! 
So all in all as it a 4 th car went for the rawer experience of 2.9 987.2 .Current doing approx 4 k miles pa .

I get what the OPC service guys are saying m the young un s on monthlies new to the brand walking in don’t know any different have zero previous yard sticks , just a spread sheet of 0-60 , in gear times , Hp etc and the 718 jumps off that page .

If I get another it will be a 4.0 .Infact I predict as time ( next decade ) they will be sought after .

I don’t think I will get another 911 , boxster beats it for enjoyment hands down .

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

nope, no way i would have another 4 cylinder. havent had a 4 cylinder of any flavour for years - all have been sixes, of various guises:

Nissan 300ZX (V6, turbo)

Nissan 350Z (V6, n/a)

BMW E92 335i (Straight 6, turbo)

BMW 330d (Straight 6, turbo)

BMW Z4 (Straight 6, n/a)

Boxster S 986 (Flat 6, n/a)

Boxster S 987 (Flat 6, n/a)

the porsche flat six sound is unique, and iconic. if a porsche doesnt have a flat 6, IMO, its not a porsche! if i had the money for a newer boxster, i'd either stop at a 981, or save up for a 982 GTS 4.0.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Would you rather sh*g Posh spice or Susan Boyle, bearing in mind Susan Boyle sounds better?

I remember when Susan Boyle's first album was coming out and they were heavily promoting it. They had a big launch party in London with all the Celebs, Simon Cowell etc. It's handle on twitter was a shortened version of "Susan's Album Party":       #susanalbumparty 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, brillomaster said:

i know i know the V10 isnt a flat 6... but imagine how good it would have been with a motorsport derived flat 12 in...

Yes I was going to quote the 917K too :) 

What's that in your profile photo?

Edited by Menoporsche

IMO the 718 2.5 GTS is a better car in all aspects other that engine note compared to the 981. 

Sound is a big part of the driving experience I appreciate that but the 718 is soo good at everything else and really does shift.

I'd hold out for a 718 GTS 4.0 personally this is likely what ill do but I cant justify the price difference currently for what is essentially the same car with a better sound track!

I've had both a F6 and currently an F4. Both have their own merits. I like the driveability of the F4 - full torque at any revs whereas the F6 had to get up the rev range a bit before all hell broke loose. But then there was the noise... But for everyday driving, the F4 works for me.

Noise is also dependent as to whether the car is pre or post GPF.  As an ex 981 driver and now a per GPF 718 driver, I really can't fault the experience.  Yes it doesn't roar as the 981 but it does make a lovely noise sound and the acceleration is mind blowing - wheel spin in second gear is "normal".😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenman986s said:

So a Macan V6 or a Cayenne V8 aren't real Porsches...despite being the best selling models...

Correct on both counts .

The Macan if being pedantic is a Audi Q5 platform,The Cayenne a VW tourag platform.

No shame or disrespect in that , it’s Just  buyers want the designer pork badge and VAG kindly obliged. Laughing all the way to the bank btw .

We have a Macan btw , and have had a Cayenne. But I am not kidding myself .Feels better in the supermarket car park etc .

Hence I will never get a 4 pot piece of pork or one with a plug .

Anyone else twigged the flat 6 isn’t prostituted across the rest of the VAG range ? 

Edited by Boxer boy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My 718 BS is my first Porsche, BUT since about 2010 all my cars have been multi cylinder Turbos. 

I've driven a 911 Carrera Turbo 4 and a 4.0L Cayman GTS.

For me performance is more important than sound, the Boxster S in Sport Mode sounds better than any of the other Turbo cars, I've had 4, 6 and 8 Cylinder ones although the AMG 4.0L V8 runs it close. At higher revs the Boxster S sound becomes angry and almost demented..I rather like it, but not the associated MPG. 

The torque delivery on the Boxster S is the key for me, it is there across the revs used in modern real world driving, from 2000 to 5000 and flooring the pedal at 3000 rpm and it becomes an animal...yet it is possible to maintain a high motorway average speed and achieve more than 36mpg. Quite remarkable!

• 4 months later...

My 2017 718 Boxster S 4 pot is my first Porsche. We traded a Z4 for it and can only say after 10,000 miles over the last 18 months that it is one remarkable car…. It is so efficient, fast, user friendly and fun that I couldn’t think of a better car to own for what I want from a sports car.

Road tax costs me £180 a year, two year service intervals, smile inducing, dynamic on the road and realistic residuals. It’s the thinking man’s sports car. My 2017 sounds pretty good BUT part of me wants to drive a 6 cylinder to see what the differences are and I probably will at some stage. 

On 2/11/2024 at 9:28 AM, Oldskool said:

Road tax costs me £180 a year

How come that’s so cheap? My 18 plate GTS cost £360 last year and according to the DVLA site it’s going up to £570 this year. Unless I’ve read things incorrectly. 

17 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

How come that’s so cheap? My 18 plate GTS cost £360 last year and according to the DVLA site it’s going up to £570 this year. Unless I’ve read things incorrectly. 

I can’t say categorically, but I can only think you mis recall the cost of your road tax. Cars under 6 yrs old pay £180 plus the £390 luxury car surcharge.

Cars older than 6yrs revert to a flat rate of £180

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

Edited by moonshine