981 full length LED light bar rear

Withy

So I watched a Peter Fritz video (here) https://youtu.be/7bPYpY-bG8s?si=hoRMbGichbt9ufGh how he'd added an LED light bar to his Boxster, and thought it was pretty cool.  Had a look into how to get it to the UK, and pulled the trigger the other day.  It arrived quickly, and with the help of a mate, fitted it today to my BGTS.  Now my mind is still split between "This is really cool" and "it's a bit Halfords add on", but for the moment, I'll keep it on.

Here's a few before/during/afters.  The bar is about 6-7mm but with adjustment there is only a marginal difference in the alignment of the spoiler when it's in the low position - noticeable, but not enough to be annoying (yet). Maybe with some other tweaking I can get it more flush

Before

981 light bar

During

981 light bar 981 light bar 981 light bar

After

981 light bar 53277358783_e455009516_b.jpg

Will take another pic or two when it's darker.. so far I'm liking it a lot

• Like 1

There was £41 shipping which there seemed to be no way of a cheaper option. No import tax tho on mine. So £286 all in

Comes from China,  not California. Imagine that!

I went for the clear one. Think it all depends on which tail lights you have

Edited by Withy

Yea these have been talked about and purchased by quite a few 981 owners on a WhatsApp group I’m on. In deed I think the guy who makes them sent @Dazone to trial. They do look good but I have a Spyder Ducktail spoiler fitted and just couldn’t live with the height difference between the taillights and spoiler due to the additional light bars thickness. That makes it look a bit “add on” for me. Along with the fact the supplier has to shave plastic off the plug in socket to make it fit the loom.

But everyone is different and if you like it you like it. For those interested if you barter the price some of the 981 WattsApp guys have got it for £260 I think all in. 

It's a no from me but I almost like the idea and I think people will make up their own mind.

I'm yet to test fit it but the gap is very obvious from what I've seen and I was surprised Peter didn't mention it in his video. Check your wiring also, external cables need to be sealed in the connection. I'm not saying they aren't but check.

Last one to show what it looks like

Agree with the comments on the spoiler alignment. I’ll defo have a go to make it a better fit as there is a lot of opportunity to adjust

I’ve adjusted it and I can’t see any difference to pre light bar now (as mine was always very slightly above boot lid)

53279865893_cda54108a2_b.jpg

I also used some thick 3m tape at the back end to angle it very slightly which appears to have helped

53280047495_7cf591e58b_b.jpg

Certainly has helped my brain accept the change. As per many replies it was just a bit annoying

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

With a re-think, for the sake of others I’d prefer this to be brake/fog only (I guess it could be wired appropriately, I know it wouldn’t be as bright). I’m seeing more of these full width light bars, rear and front, and they are starting to irritate me as a driver when following/ in front, I find them distracting. However a brief flash when someone is braking, or a full width in poor visibility, would be a plus. Yes there will be the jerk who doesn’t know how to use a handbrake when stopped, but still. 

See? I didn’t mention spoiler alignment once :)