Find me a 987.2 thread ??

Dubdubz

I must be dreaming but I swore there was a find me a 987.2 thread and then the helpful folks in here popped a load of links etc

I was considering a 981 but the ones that meet the spec seem to be still close to £30k 
My man maths is my well specced 2.7 987.1 (gt silver, cruise, full leather, heated seats PSE, Lobsters, 73K, bose -pioneer Carplay) is worth around £10-11k so another £10k ish should get me a nice 987.2 ie £20k {ish 😉}

I do want a 3.4 and PDK,
I'd like sports chrono (or just sports if that's an option).
Full leather as it does lift the thing you sit in for hours. Sports seats would be nice but as long as heated then I'm ok with the normal ones.
Cruise is lovely so I'd like that- again I could retrofit but it was a mission to get the parts.
I know condition and history is king but Mileage I'd like to keep under 70k unless there was a documented invoices one with all the parts and load of work done type deal.... 
Colour I am not so fussed on but I didn't really want a white one or one with an odd colour leather - I'm boring and like the black leather.
Bose I dont care on, it was a must for my 2.7 but honestly its not all that and I would but a double DIN again as it makes it modern.

Given that some parts are impossible to find - like full leather dash - and would be tiresome to fit then its something that I need it to come with! 
Cruise is probably the one that I'd consider not being there as its possible to fit afterwards.

If I could easily PDK mine and make it quicker then I think I'd do that - but I don't reckon I could buy all the parts from a 987.2 PDK 3.4 for 10g's 🤣

If someone @Araf maybe? could direct me to the thread I cant find - there seems to not be that many around and I do know that I am being a little bit fussy. I'm also hoping that someone will have spotted something I missed. I look on Autotrader, Ebay, Pistonheads almost daily...

cheers all

Have to ask - is it worth the money to go from a .1 to a .2?

There are some higher mileage 981's now around the £20k mark - probably not an S but would feel like a proper change?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/porsche-boxster-2.7-pdk-superb-example-10k-options-/1461518330

Mortimers always get good reviews, buy you do pay a premium

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/2011-porsche-boxster-3.4-s-gen-ii-pdk-semi-auto-convertible-petrol-automatic/1467278335

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

There are some higher mileage 981's now around the £20k mark - probably not an S but would feel like a proper change?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/porsche-boxster-2.7-pdk-superb-example-10k-options-/1461518330

Holy macaroni did you see the state of the pictured wheel !!

Unless he's very honest and took the pic of the worst wheel which is what I would do, unless I refurbished them instead of course. 

15 minutes ago, EXY said:

Holy macaroni did you see the state of the pictured wheel !!

Unless he's very honest and took the pic of the worst wheel which is what I would do, unless I refurbished them instead of course. 

Car is immaculate and first to see will buy.”🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Mortimers always get good reviews, buy you do pay a premium

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/2011-porsche-boxster-3.4-s-gen-ii-pdk-semi-auto-convertible-petrol-automatic/1467278335

@Mattman42 I’m not overly sure, I’m torn. I’d like to have something a little quicker, acceleration wise. And I’m just wanting an auto, as modern traffic is tiresome these days. 
981 I think I would be sacrificing condition, as I would be buying at the bottom. I’ve always tried to buy the best example for the lowest money… which I guess everyone tries to do. 

1 minute ago, Bike Loon said:

They do come up from time to time, keep an eye on auctions as they tend to be better prices... of course you are taking a gamble but there are some unicorns out there. :)

Where do I look for auctions? I wouldn’t know where to begin…

Google "Car auctions near......" ;)

Anything is possible... I became aware of the auction my car was in 3 hours before it was due to end. I got registered to bid and bought the car all without even seeing it in person. Drove the 80 miles to collect it 2 days later.

Yes it is a gamble, but I ended up with probably the higest spec 987.2 in existance for sensible money. It could also have been a lemon but you pay your money, you take ya chance

Edited by Bike Loon

987.2-981 is similar to the 986-987 debate. The older one feels a bit more exciting (raw), the newer one feels a bit more refined. Up to you what you want out of the car.  I drove a 981 and it felt quiet luxury, which I don’t want for weekend excitement. Someone with a 40 mile commute will think differently. 

Agreed @Menoporsche the prices overlap now fairly often. Low mileage 987.2 being as observed in 981 money. And leggy 981 being in down in the pretty average 987.2 money. 

I seem to keep my cars for longer now, 5ish years. And do not that many miles so a good car slightly high miles can work. 

I think I’ll keep an eye out for the right spec and combo, there is a white one on AT for normal money. Has all the bits inside not keen on the wheels it has or the fact it’s white. 
there’s another grey one that’s nicer but has the standard dash…

On 10/28/2023 at 12:35 PM, Dubdubz said:

My man maths is my well specced 2.7 987.1 (gt silver, cruise, full leather, heated seats PSE, Lobsters, 73K, bose -pioneer Carplay) is worth around £10-11k so another £10k ish should get me a nice 987.2 ie £20k {ish 😉}

I do want a 3.4 and PDK,

Having just done a similar change myself, I can confirm the change is worth it. 

I believe you'd be very lucky though to sell a 73k 987.1 2.7 privately for as much as £10k or find a nice fully loaded nice 987.2 3.4S with reasonable milage or without an odd colour combinaton for as little as £20k.

1 hour ago, Codfanglers said:

Having just done a similar change myself, I can confirm the change is worth it. 

I believe you'd be very lucky though to sell a 73k 987.1 2.7 privately for as much as £10k or find a nice fully loaded nice 987.2 3.4S with reasonable milage or without an odd colour combinaton for as little as £20k.

I’m hoping that the rarer colour, PSE, 19”, cruise plus other bits will keep it up in that area. I mean 9k would also be ok. There’s a higher mileage black edition that I may consider. I’m in no rush particularly. I may sell mine and wait. Saving a few quid etc a month towards the next one. 
Or I might keep mine. 

There are less 987.2s so if it doesn’t come along then I’ll probably goto a 981 or possibly an F type … but f types seem to still be falling too rapidly. I’m not buying for investment of course but I’m not sure I want to lose 10k in a couple of years either on a car. F types were 30 k  2 years ago… now 22 can buy you one. 

I came on to echo Andy’s thoughts about a 2.9.  If everything else is perfect don’t discount it.  The engine absolutely sings when it’s in the upper rpm’s, with less worry about losing your licence!  Coming from my old car, never has the saying “it’s more fun driving a slow car fast, than a fast car slow” been more true.

My old car? The 5.0 V8 F-Type.  Stupidly (licence losing!) quick, and sounds glorious, but I had the exact ownership experience you’ll have read about.  The F-Type is a car for show, the Boxster is for driving pleasure; so it depends on what you’re looking for.  I wouldn’t trade back.

Let me know if you want to know any more about my F-Type days.

• Like 2

Thanks @Jono_h I’d be after the slower V6 ftype. 

I wonder if there is anyone on here that has gone from a 987.1 2.7 manual to a 987.2 2.9 PDK… 

I’ll maybe have a look at the 2.9… it would likely be a wee bit cheaper and that money could buy an exhaust…

this is a good thread…

14 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

Thanks @Jono_h I’d be after the slower V6 ftype. 

I wonder if there is anyone on here that has gone from a 987.1 2.7 manual to a 987.2 2.9 PDK… 

I’ll maybe have a look at the 2.9… it would likely be a wee bit cheaper and that money could buy an exhaust…

this is a good thread…

I had the 987.2 3.4 S pdk and now have a 987.2 2.9 pdk. Obviously there was a gap between ownership but I don't feel short changed on the performance stakes on a daily driver. Sports Plus would nice though, just to have that little extra reaction when you want it, that would be my only miss between the 2, but not enough to spend the hundreds needed to retrofit it :)

An S would always be nice,  it just wasn't worth the extra money for me this time. But if you can, test drive both, just to make sure!

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

I had seen this and yes was low spec...not much in respect of options...

2 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

I had the 987.2 3.4 S pdk and now have a 987.2 2.9 pdk. Obviously there was a gap between ownership but I don't feel short changed on the performance stakes on a daily driver. Sports Plus would nice though, just to have that little extra reaction when you want it, that would be my only miss between the 2, but not enough to spend the hundreds needed to retrofit it :)

An S would always be nice,  it just wasn't worth the extra money for me this time. But if you can, test drive both, just to make sure!

did you mean a 987.1 3.4  to a 987.2 2.9? so if there was a good optioned one with Sports it would be a bit quicker feeling than the 2.7 987.1.... ?

18 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

I had seen this and yes was low spec...not much in respect of options...

did you mean a 987.1 3.4  to a 987.2 2.9? so if there was a good optioned one with Sports it would be a bit quicker feeling than the 2.7 987.1.... ?

Nope  - both cars I've had are gen 2.

The gen 2 2.9 pdk is about 0.3/0.4 secs quicker 0-60 than a gen 1 2.7 manual and about 1.2 secs quicker than the 2.7 tip

2.9 pdk is 0.3 quicker than a gen1 3.4 S tip, but 0.4 slower than a gen 1 S manual 

So basically not a lot in it unless you compare the pdk to the tip :)

I have a 0.2 2.9 - Manual .

Hunted it down , wanted to avoid the IMS , + bore score thingy .The 9A1 block is arguably what Porsche should have done way back in 96 . Worth seeking out in the used market .

I think there’s a slight tech advantage going Fwds in the port injection as opposed to DI …..in that you aren’t going to get fouled up inlet valves ….you know potentially paying for cleaning up job . DI imho was a backward step , apart from emissions lowering the carbon from a Greta Thungberg pov .etc etc .

The brakes on the 0.2 are from the then 911 range , identical to the 997 back in the day ( 09-11 ) so better than the 0.1 s The 0.1 s are smaller .

It’s a sweet motor and nice raw experience.Reminds me very much of my earlier  air-cooled 911 3.2 Carrara which had 234 Hp back in the day . Linear pull right to red line .It does howl above 4 K rpm .

254 Hp in more / less the same weight but with that crucial handling advantage of mid engine = bliss .

The rides hard by modern stds you know you are in a sports car . Fat rubber doesn’t help .That was ultimately its down fall and the major difference between the successor 981 .But as a 2/3 rd  Sunday car that  extra firmness is exactly what I want .Folks pay a lot in other marques ( Bimmer M2 s ) for firmer suspension…….comes std with 987.2 

Plenty fast enough in todays roads . 
Steering too another thing is sublime.Greta s lot buggered up that exact tactile feel  ( the driving forced emissions again ) with the electric PAS in successor modals .

My 0.2 s worth 🤗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks @Boxer boy good info - seems like the 'base' .2 shouldnt be overlooked especially if its had some boxes ticked on the build sheet! - as Mattman said its parts of seconds - and the 3.4 .2 will have a little more whoosh

Its mental, as in my brain, the 2.7 .1 always felt a little lacking in the get up and go, I love everything else. Well the manual I dislike as we do a fair bit of city driving... but I didnt rate the tiptronics I tried.
That said Ive not driven a PDK, an Audi which is sort of similar - kind of- I have so ... figured it would be as good or better than that in terms of shifting

Also perhaps as Mattman also said - is it worth a few extra acceleration feels and an auto for what will be 10ish K? The answer at the minute for me is yes as the Boxster is one of the best cars I have owned, and if those 2 things made the next 4-5 years happy motoring then I think this is good!

{Also I will likely dither so much that better 981's will be in financial reach...}

The speed difference in seconds is minimal, what people talk about is the extra torque so more lazy at junctions etc. But with a PDK giving you a calculated kick down that should be nearly irrelevant. I suspect the fast auto box will give you what you want. 

• Like 1

quick question - what is the parts compatibilty in terms of chassis? between a 987.1 and 987.2

so if I found a cheap 987.2 in salvage - is it impossible to swap parts across?

The dash looks the same, I know there was updates on panels but I wonder about bolting the engine and gearbox, brakes etc and any electrical gizmos across...

I know it would mean a ton of work but hypothetically...