Find me a 987.2 thread ??

Dubdubz

7 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

May I suggest that not having a pdk service may be the cause of the lumpiness? Walk away, plenty available 

TBH I wasnt really that set on it - as it was lacking some options for me - it was more that I could try it without wasting a personal sellers time. Interested to try the PDK and the larger engine.

16 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Its not the look I'd opt for - not keen on the gold and the rear lights... 

I’ve found my PDK to occasionally be a little clunky down fron 2nd to 1st, and it does seem to like changing gear more frequently than I’d expect (although that might be to compensate for the 2.9 not being overly torquey) but apart from that it’s great.  Lightening fast, and smooth changes - I love driving it on the paddles which I’ve never bothered with before.
 Better than the 7 speed in my SLK, not quite as good as the 8 speed ZF in my F-Type.

Apparently the 2nd gen PDK in the 981 was an improvement.

Drive another one to see if it’s really not for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

I don't know of the market but that seems worth a look.  PSE, aftermarket stereo, paddle shifters, alcantara seat bases, PASM I think. A hairdryer will remove the gold along the doors, you might swap the wheels for silver ones, and the lights could also be swapped out or sold.

Just now, Dubdubz said:

Thanks @Mattman42 - no heated seats otherwise I may have viewed that one.

Not had time today but I’m going to draw up a list of must have, nice to have and bonus…

Black edition just posted on the classified finds thread - good luck

On 10/28/2023 at 12:35 PM, Dubdubz said:

I must be dreaming but I swore there was a find me a 987.2 thread and then the helpful folks in here popped a load of links etc

I was considering a 981 but the ones that meet the spec seem to be still close to £30k 
My man maths is my well specced 2.7 987.1 (gt silver, cruise, full leather, heated seats PSE, Lobsters, 73K, bose -pioneer Carplay) is worth around £10-11k so another £10k ish should get me a nice 987.2 ie £20k {ish 😉}

I do want a 3.4 and PDK,
I'd like sports chrono (or just sports if that's an option).
Full leather as it does lift the thing you sit in for hours. Sports seats would be nice but as long as heated then I'm ok with the normal ones.
Cruise is lovely so I'd like that- again I could retrofit but it was a mission to get the parts.
I know condition and history is king but Mileage I'd like to keep under 70k unless there was a documented invoices one with all the parts and load of work done type deal.... 
Colour I am not so fussed on but I didn't really want a white one or one with an odd colour leather - I'm boring and like the black leather.
Bose I dont care on, it was a must for my 2.7 but honestly its not all that and I would but a double DIN again as it makes it modern.

Given that some parts are impossible to find - like full leather dash - and would be tiresome to fit then its something that I need it to come with! 
Cruise is probably the one that I'd consider not being there as its possible to fit afterwards.

If I could easily PDK mine and make it quicker then I think I'd do that - but I don't reckon I could buy all the parts from a 987.2 PDK 3.4 for 10g's 🤣

If someone @Araf maybe? could direct me to the thread I cant find - there seems to not be that many around and I do know that I am being a little bit fussy. I'm also hoping that someone will have spotted something I missed. I look on Autotrader, Ebay, Pistonheads almost daily...

cheers all

You are basically describing my car and guess what, I'm thinking of selling to scratch the 911 itch.

987.2 S PDK

extended leather

BOSE (with updated Pioneer apple car play)

cruise control

heated seats

sports and sports +

PDSL lights

carnewal exhaust

71k miles and recently serviced including the PDK 12 year oil change.

PM me if interested

• 4 weeks later...

new cars have been thin on the ground - wrong time of year etc...

But what I have been seeing is the 981 2.7 coming down to my 20ish budget creep ....

how does the 2.7 981 feel, as I have not tried one? in terms of butt-o-meter - does it feel slow or would it only if you also owned a 3.4.... the 3.4 987.2's Ive tried certainly have the little bit of extra I was after....

981S's with ok miles (=70k ish) seem to still be at the upper end of the 20's for a good spec/well looked after one

If I could drop onto a 987.2 3.4 for 17/18k with PDK, Xenon's, sport chrono, sports exhaust, full leather and cruise, in a dark colour with the carrera 2 wheels...  that has been looked after of course....

or I sit tight for a couple of years and wait for the 981 3.4 to get to mid to low 20's ??

54 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

new cars have been thin on the ground - wrong time of year etc...

But what I have been seeing is the 981 2.7 coming down to my 20ish budget creep ....

how does the 2.7 981 feel, as I have not tried one? in terms of butt-o-meter - does it feel slow or would it only if you also owned a 3.4.... the 3.4 987.2's Ive tried certainly have the little bit of extra I was after....

981S's with ok miles (=70k ish) seem to still be at the upper end of the 20's for a good spec/well looked after one

If I could drop onto a 987.2 3.4 for 17/18k with PDK, Xenon's, sport chrono, sports exhaust, full leather and cruise, in a dark colour with the carrera 2 wheels...  that has been looked after of course....

or I sit tight for a couple of years and wait for the 981 3.4 to get to mid to low 20's ??

Looked the other day and a lot of the cars that were sa,e when I bought mine are still for sale, and not many have changed price either.

This one is a new entry, but no mention of miles so assume they are high. And an ugly after market headunit

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/2010-porsche-boxster-3.4-s-pdk/1444231299

57 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

how does the 2.7 981 feel, as I have not tried one? in terms of butt-o-meter - does it feel slow or would it only if you also owned a 3.4.... 

I can only give an opinion on the Cayman, not a Boxster, but my Butt-o-meter tells me the 2.7 is definitely fast enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it feeling too slow mate ☺️

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I can only give an opinion on the Cayman, not a Boxster, but my Butt-o-meter tells me the 2.7 is definitely fast enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about it feeling too slow mate ☺️

thanks Davey - I have always felt my 987 2.7 could do with a bit more oomph - and the 3.4's I tried had that little extra spark
I wouldnt want to yearn for the bigger engine again - its stupid but annoying...

• Like 1

Looked the other day and a lot of the cars that were sa,e when I bought mine are still for sale, and not many have changed price either.

This one is a new entry, but no mention of miles so assume they are high. And an ugly after market headunit

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/2010-porsche-boxster-3.4-s-pdk/1444231299

saw that and pretty convinced its a scam... can only phone so I might see what happens... the other gumtree one [2.9] you posted is still available I think - but that was missing leather, cruise

my searching habits are quite routine now... saved 987.2 search on AT, saved search on Ebay, check Gumtree. Budget creep up to see 981 S's then look at F types. Then look back at the 987.2's that I have already discounted for one reason or another.
Check more obscure sites.
Quietly resign myself not to buy anything and keep my 987.1 for a bit longer 🤣... In truth I'm waiting for the better spec .2 cars to drop a bit more or the 981s to come into budget stretch...

actually I also occasionally look at 997's just to see what is about in the mid 20k for a giggle - but then is a 2014 981s better than say a 05/06 997 C2 or as this is approx same kinda money

2 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

my searching habits are quite routine now... saved 987.2 search on AT, saved search on Ebay, check Gumtree. Budget creep up to see 981 S's then look at F types. Then look back at the 987.2's that I have already discounted for one reason or another.
Check more obscure sites.
Quietly resign myself not to buy anything and keep my 987.1 for a bit longer 🤣... In truth I'm waiting for the better spec .2 cars to drop a bit more or the 981s to come into budget stretch...

actually I also occasionally look at 997's just to see what is about in the mid 20k for a giggle - but then is a 2014 981s better than say a 05/06 997 C2 or as this is approx same kinda money

Sounds a familiar story - i did test drive a 996 911 that was up for £16k when i was looking, as i thought i wanted to scratch the 911 itch - but it just felt really old, a lot like the SLK i had sold and not something i would want to keep. I really wanted to love it because it was a '911', but even SWMBO told me i'd soon get bored trying to bring it up to scratch.

If i was going 911, it would have to be a 997 personally - but then you start reading the horror stories of the 997.1 and your back to 987.2s and the merry go round starts again :)

patience padawan as the great leader once said (not you @iborguk:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Sounds a familiar story - i did test drive a 996 911 that was up for £16k when i was looking, as i thought i wanted to scratch the 911 itch - but it just felt really old, a lot like the SLK i had sold and not something i would want to keep. I really wanted to love it because it was a '911', but even SWMBO told me i'd soon get bored trying to bring it up to scratch.

If i was going 911, it would have to be a 997 personally - but then you start reading the horror stories of the 997.1 and your back to 987.2s and the merry go round starts again :)

the ones I look at mention engine rebuild or a bore scope report 🙂 and yes 997.1 997.2 is so much budget creep I'd need an old Aunt to leave me some £££ and that is not going to happen...

... i know what you mean... 996 are old school and fantastic if looked after... i've just gone from 987.2 to 996.1 and it's a fabulous machine in every respect.... closest i've come to my C4 Corvette and that was proper old school. Like the Boxsters of any model, it's all about the suspension and regular quality oil.

13 minutes ago, skoosh1970 said:

... i know what you mean... 996 are old school and fantastic if looked after... i've just gone from 987.2 to 996.1 and it's a fabulous machine in every respect.... closest i've come to my C4 Corvette and that was proper old school. Like the Boxsters of any model, it's all about the suspension and regular quality oil.

Yep - i think the one i tried hadn't been looked after particularly well - a good 10 footer or 6 pinter :)

• Haha 1