Find me a 987.2 thread ??

Dubdubz

Totally different engine so I would expect it's pretty complex to change it.  If it was simple I'd love to do it for my orange car, but what I've seen so far - superficially - really puts me off.  I'd be better to buy a new 7.2 and spend 4k getting it sprayed orange.

yeah it would mean most of the electrics I would imagine - PDK ecu, Engine ECU, big swathes of harness - not for the faint hearted. Clocks and keys for immobilser...but if it was right price I could sell bits off mine and the remanants whilst not breaking even would not be the 11-12k uplift from selling my base 2.7 - as I'd do all the grunt work

dumb idea but we've seen successful crazy in here before...

I suspect the biggest hurdle would be the V5 and I imagine inspections and the like, so Red tape wins ... 

On 10/29/2023 at 6:39 PM, Dubdubz said:

Thanks @Jono_h I’d be after the slower V6 ftype. 

I wonder if there is anyone on here that has gone from a 987.1 2.7 manual to a 987.2 2.9 PDK… 

I’ll maybe have a look at the 2.9… it would likely be a wee bit cheaper and that money could buy an exhaust…

this is a good thread…

@iborguk 

17 hours ago, iborguk said:

Yes I made this move, totally different drives, loved both.

Anything in particular I can help with ? 

lovely examples - when you say totally different can you explain at all what you mean?

One popped up today and sadly no sports chrono or cruise or extended leather - but good colour, low miles, sports seats but over 20k so by the time retrofitted cruise and sports plus its certainly creeping into Black Edition money

QQ - can you get PSE on a PDK I dont see many - wasnt sure if the sports was in place of the binoculars!!

2 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

lovely examples - when you say totally different can you explain at all what you mean?

One popped up today and sadly no sports chrono or cruise or extended leather - but good colour, low miles, sports seats but over 20k so by the time retrofitted cruise and sports plus its certainly creeping into Black Edition money

QQ - can you get PSE on a PDK I dont see many - wasnt sure if the sports was in place of the binoculars!!

Thanks.

Different engagement types due to the differing gearboxes- more analogue with the 6 speed manual and lazier/more comfortable driving style with the PDK 90% of my time but still with the option to override. 

No wrong answers here, everyone likes something different, go find what works for you 👍

3 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

As per @Bike Loon yes you can. Mine has pse and pdk and it makes giggle inducing burble noises when sports or sports plus is engaged. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul P said:

As per @Bike Loon yes you can. Mine has pse and pdk and it makes giggle inducing burble noises when sports or sports plus is engaged. 

doesnt seem to be a much added option - I've looked at several ads and only seen one maybe 2 with it...

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

no fair - is it for sale? 

It would break your budget if I were to give you a price lol !

As Paul says, having Sport and Sport + with the PDK and PSE is great... nice to be able to turn PASM off when in those modes as well if you want to.

Edited by Bike Loon

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

Be prepared for a wait re a retrofit of a new PSE. Parts are still on back-order. I looked into doing this on my 987.2 prior to parting ways with it.

I have it on my current 987.1 and it is great - I might just go with a non standard exhaust - the oprions lottery is frustrating 🤣

4 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

It would break your budget if I were to give you a price lol !

As Paul says, having Sport and Sport + with the PDK and PSE is great... nice to be able to turn PASM off when in those modes as well if you want to.

maybe not happy to have a private chat on it 🥸

• Like 1

23 hours ago, iborguk said:

Thanks.

Different engagement types due to the differing gearboxes- more analogue with the 6 speed manual and lazier/more comfortable driving style with the PDK 90% of my time but still with the option to override. 

No wrong answers here, everyone likes something different, go find what works for you 👍

Well.

I took a drive over to Leicester as there is a 2010 3.4 pdk - its up for 21K. Its done 50500. Its OK - not for me. 

BUT - PDK which I though would be silky smooth wasnt in fact on one occasion it felt lumpy - not sure if that was just this one - but I kinda didnt fully like it. Sure it was easy driving round town but the revs sounded off to me coming from a manual.

I dont hate it but I do now get what you mean @iborguk, it was a supervised drive and also loads of traffic but the 3.4 did have the quicker feel I was hoping for.

It wasnt terrible but wasnt up to what I want to replace my what I consider good 987.1 - it had lots of tiny scratches around boot and doors, bonnet was rashed pretty bad. And might have had a rear bumper sprayed - was very close but did look off to me. Overall didnt seem to have been cherished?
Not had a PDK service despite age. Tyres were no name makes - tread ok but if I had bought would have needed changing. Typical main dealer no wriggle or inclination to replace - which I get. 
Fly catchers were missing, no cruise or Sports Chrono, no extended leather

If it was a few £k cheaper I think it would be ok - if mine is worth 9k on a good day this was not 12k better 

Edited by Dubdubz

On 10/28/2023 at 5:15 PM, Mattman42 said:

Have to ask - is it worth the money to go from a .1 to a .2?

I think you may be right.
If I didnt yet have one then a .2 might be the right entry but given then a really sorted earlier one 'feels' identical. I think if you have to have an Auto then the PDK is better.
Having said this, if a unicorn comes along I might still want to look ! Although an auto is now optional for me....

Thank you for all the comments - been massively helpful...

4 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I didn't generally find the PDK in my 987.2 lumpy, maybe a couple of times when the car was cold.

I'd suggest try another.

The PDK in my 718 seems better still.

Most of the time is was nice - a couple of times I felt it shift odd - like it was confused. Once or twice in a 20 minute drive through town.

Edited by Dubdubz

My previous 3 Boxsters were manual and the current one is PDK. I find it really smooth, but it is a different drive and you have to get used to them.

Also be mindful that the gear change is different in each of the standard / Sport /  Sport + modes. If I am feeling lazy I have it in Standard mode with the PSE on, if I am in the mood Sport mode with the PASM off and PSE on and a couple of times I have had Sport + with everything on.

It does make me wonder what I could get for mine with every option ticked apart from TPMS and with 81k miles on it. With the bonnet and front bumper resprayed and the new rear bumper it is pretty hard to find fault and the interior is spotless :D. I have been offered north of £20k by a guy on the Facebook forum without even seeing it. I see a lot of lower spec cars at more but as @Mattman42 knows as he monitors them, those ones are not really selling at those prices.

Edited by Bike Loon

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

My previous 3 Boxsters were manual and the current one is PDK. I find it really smooth, but it is a different drive and you have to get used to them.

Also be mindful that the gear change is different in each of the standard / Sport /  Sport + modes. If I am feeling lazy I have it in Standard mode with the PSE on, if I am in the mood Sport mode with the PASM off and PSE on and a couple of times I have had Sport + with everything on.

It does make me wonder what I could get for mine with every option ticked apart from TPMS and with 81k miles on it. With the bonnet and front bumper resprayed and the new rear bumper it is pretty hard to find fault and the interior is spotless :D. I have been offered north of £20k by a guy on the Facebook forum without even seeing it. I see a lot of lower spec cars at more but as @Mattman42 knows as he monitors them, those ones are not really selling at those prices.

Yep, I found the 987.2's had a right random mix of options on them, would be hard to find exactly what you want. I had limited wants - pdk, heated seats, service history so was a lot easier. would have preferred another red interior but they are like unicorns.

If pdk is off the list that should open up more options as manuals tend to be up to 2k cheaper- @Dubdubz have you seen this one? Higher miles, but good price and sou ds like its been looked after

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126137295552?hash=item1d5e5e62c0:g:Dq4AAOSw8EBlKmFM&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4J3zKcWuV7OGg0r%2FZYtEtwGyVRAfncXaslVH9mVRprnNR8SeLPYs3cJDHfVrv5cx0%2FPFkQfVuhIRCjzF3EotyBxiqQHHAheGXKPQFXyausHl6rKhbXA0JTFTbxMwNqNXtsZwfHESsDDe%2FMN%2BZzdZbeOAGr4CDRRtr6C8yiOhSSws3r%2BVW1RNnbRtShVTmniyorlZLs%2B1IFZMJ4sZ5HZrrU1HgaXSU2c6Wn%2FITlb%2FRiCyhtLzRgfZlrUiBvaD37swELeaEhKARD3uOsFgEgeUzE3AHouMnr8pyPUXBwx5qS2%2F|tkp%3ABk9SR4qsre7yYg

Edited by Mattman42