Options to think about when upgrading to a 981?

Nobbie

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

If you think climate control is essential in a Boxster you are doing this wrong @moonshine

My 718s didn’t have climate and the A/C was a pain to use (when the roof is up ;) i much prefer the CC i have in the 981s -

i think the usability of the non CC A/Cis exacerbated by the gear leaver / PDK lever getting in the road of the a/c temperature control - i think switches are common to both LHD and RHD models, and where the temperature button is placed, you have to reach around the  gear stick and it is more accessible  when sitting in the RHD passenger seat / LHD driver seat

We like what we like.

I’d suggest OP go drive a few.

For me it would be a min of the good lights , heated seats and PSE. CC does mean less in-flight button fiddling over AC but not finding it a show stopper on current car which doesn’t have it.

• 3 months later...

Thanks Nobbie for starting this - my question is mentioned in here. I had found some short listed cars to perhaps enquire and then somehow I noticed that there is 2 types of heating controls...one from the 80's which has no set a temp and I'll stay there as best I can deal and then one which is dual zone 
A quick google would suggest that its not a case of finding a front and a coder to get this working as the matrix/flaps are also in the mix....

So is the basic of basic heating ok for those that have it? 
I am looking at Caymans too and not sure if this would be better or worse than a Boxster if it had the basic version.

Its a pain as I have moved away from having to have chrono, to now find another option to try and source...

At least the 981's, most come with heated seats - its just the Xenon, cruise, extended leather that seem to be very hit and miss...

1 minute ago, Dubdubz said:

I am looking at Caymans too and not sure if this would be better or worse than a Boxster

Worse as they have a tin roof 😛 

1 minute ago, Dubdubz said:

At least the 981's, most come with heated seats - its just the Xenon, cruise, extended leather that seem to be very hit and miss...

Think about what can be easily retrofitted if you find the perfect car. Cruise can be done for around £500+ at OPC, maybe less at independent (I had it retrofitted on my first 981)

27 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

there is 2 types of heating controls...one from the 80's which has no set a temp and I'll stay there as best I can deal and then one which is dual zone

One is aircon, hotter or cooler. The other is climate control, pick your own temp. 
The more you have the roof up, the more you might like climate. 
Or, just learn how the window buttons work. 

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

One is aircon, hotter or cooler. The other is climate control, pick your own temp. 
The more you have the roof up, the more you might like climate. 
Or, just learn how the window buttons work. 

Not had a car without climate for many years #firstworldproblem, but it does seem to cheapen the deal for some I had my eye on...
Option bingo = ruddy annoying
Especially as I *think that 987's came with it as standard across the range?

Mine is simple AC. Just little lines with no numbers. Works fine. I either leave it around the middle, or full cold or full hot. With 3 stage heated seat and - I will keep banging on about this - the heated steering wheel the AC is much less relevant. My AC doesn't cool now I think so probably needs regassing.

Coming back to the PSE discussion I think these cars are getting old enough now where the exhaust is probably due to be replaced. Mine looks rusty as F. One of my valves is stuck - I hope - in the open position. There is more to PSE than just the exhaust because I believe it alters fuel map for pops and bangs and I read somewhere that you need better manifolds or something as the cat/s will be destroyed by the different map if not designed for it.

So for me it's a decision about manual vs PDK

Then you want - in my order of importance 

Heated seats 

Heated steering wheel

PSE

I'm honest the pops and bangs were fun at first but I couldn't care less now. With roof down, pressing on a little bit, the exhaust doesn't need to make too much noise, but a little is fine. If mine didn't pop and bang I'd still like it just fine. If pushing hard you shouldn't really hear it because you'll be concentrating so much. If you're just chasing someone in an old 986 2.5 tip you'll obviously have a lot more time to think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

How do you tell if it has a heated steering wheel ? - is this like the 987 in the fact it is a super rare option/hidden?

I tried to try a 2.7 Cayman today but the dealer wanted to do all the numbers and workings out before letting me drive - which was weird and I couldnt be arsed to be all Karen about it - plus it had been fiddled with a bit so wasnt the car for me....

I am less concerned about the heating thing now, but heated seats is a must and for me at least PDK and 3.4, less fussed about sports chrono too.

981 Boxster owners who had a 987 before how is the cabin wind noise on say a motorway comparing the 2?
I love my 987 but it can be a bit noisy - which is why I was considering the full metal roof version 😉 but then a roof down trip in mine today after not trying the Cayman made me think that was actually not an option after all and perhaps I do need the fabric bit after all !?

I think the cabin wind roof down in the 981 is better as you are sat lower down but neither are bad.

The sound proofing with the roof up is definitely better on the 981, you can hear your exhaust and what is going on outside but it isn’t intrusive. No need for the Cayman tin top😂

Another option I would recommend is the PASM, I’ve had it on the last 3 Boxsters and it gets better with each generation. Mine wafts along over my local crappy roads and then you can put it Sport on the country roads and it really comes alive.

You can also drive in Sport on the normal roads in the 981 as it adjusts so much better than the 987 and doesn’t shake your teeth out.

As long the road permits my normal setup is Sports mode on,PSE on and PASM in Sport 👌😎

I would also recommend getting the PDK with the paddle Sports wheel, night and day difference from those dreadful buttons. I have one for sale if you find the perfect car but it has the button wheel 👍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

How do you tell if it has a heated steering wheel ? 

I didn't know mine had it for months until one day I hit the button by accident. Its behind the wheel on the bottom spoke. 

I believe the sport wheel everyone seems to love has no heating option. So for at least 9 months of the year I'd say the less desirable wheel, if heated, wins.

Reader, I bought it😀

Many thanks to @Madlil who was a pleasure to deal with. Hope you’re enjoying the F type.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread as it was an exceptionally useful source of opinions and made the decision to go for this car very easy. First proper drive today and it feels like a great place to be. No idea how all the toys and buttons work yet, but I’ll get the hang of it eventually.

The only real departure from the general consensus here was that this did not have PSE, but given what it does have I wasn’t going to let that get in the way, particularly as it has the Carnwal GT exhaust which on first impressions I think I’m going to like. It probably helps that I’ve come from a 986 with a ToyoSport exhaust and manifolds, so I’ve done the noise thing. I can always retrofit if I change my mind.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Reader, I bought it😀

Many thanks to @Madlil who was a pleasure to deal with. Hope you’re enjoying the F type.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread as it was an exceptionally useful source of opinions and made the decision to go for this car very easy. First proper drive today and it feels like a great place to be. No idea how all the toys and buttons work yet, but I’ll get the hang of it eventually.

The only real departure from the general consensus here was that this did not have PSE, but given what it does have I wasn’t going to let that get in the way, particularly as it has the Carnwal GT exhaust which on first impressions I think I’m going to like. It probably helps that I’ve come from a 986 with a ToyoSport exhaust and manifolds, so I’ve done the noise thing. I can always retrofit if I change my mind.

Excellent news. Congratulations Nobbie-Rob!

When you've worked it all out, please can I chase you in it? For old times sake....

Cheers, Baggers.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Reader, I bought it😀

The cat is out of the bag!

11 hours ago, Jonners said:

The cat is out of the bag!

Definitely not a myth ! I’ve seen it in the flesh and very nice it is too!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dubdubz said:

I am less concerned about the heating thing now, but heated seats is a must and for me at least PDK and 3.4, less fussed about sports chrono too.

Curious as to why this would be a must?  Don't feel obliged to answer if it's due to haemorrhoids, etc.

When I changed from my 2.7 to my 3.4 last August it was the one item on the spec sheet that I did have pause for thought for.

But then I figured that I survived 30 years of sports cars without the notion of heated seats, and I'm glad to say that now we're in to Spring - I survived without !!  In fact, I can honestly say that I missed the heated seat for oooh... total of 20 mins over 5-6 months, I can live with that.

It did make me wonder though if Porsche actually went to the bother of making seats without the elements and if they are part of all the seats, i.e. could be enabled with coding and a couple of switches added.  Doesn't bother me either way, but if it's possible and relatively inexpensive I'd consider it just for having the option there.

Right choice IMHO regarding Sports Chrono. I didn't actively exclude cars which had it but I'm happy that the one I bought hasn't. Less to go wrong and I don't miss it for a second. The sole advantage for me was as a shortcut to selecting the harder PASM. I can cope with pressing Sports and then PASM 🙂

21 minutes ago, moospeed said:

Curious as to why this would be a must?  Don't feel obliged to answer if it's due to haemorrhoids, etc.

When I changed from my 2.7 to my 3.4 last August it was the one item on the spec sheet that I did have pause for thought for.

But then I figured that I survived 30 years of sports cars without the notion of heated seats, and I'm glad to say that now we're in to Spring - I survived without !!  In fact, I can honestly say that I missed the heated seat for oooh... total of 20 mins over 5-6 months, I can live with that.

It did make me wonder though if Porsche actually went to the bother of making seats without the elements and if they are part of all the seats, i.e. could be enabled with coding and a couple of switches added.  Doesn't bother me either way, but if it's possible and relatively inexpensive I'd consider it just for having the option there.

Right choice IMHO regarding Sports Chrono. I didn't actively exclude cars which had it but I'm happy that the one I bought hasn't. Less to go wrong and I don't miss it for a second. The sole advantage for me was as a shortcut to selecting the harder PASM. I can cope with pressing Sports and then PASM 🙂

Mainly as I like to do very cold days roof down and my back is always cold so as it’s an option I look for. 
if there was a car that had loads of special options but that was missing I’d still of course buy it. 
PASM had not been on my list as I was worried about the cost if it went wrong and cars I’d be looking at would be 12 years old and 60k so may need a replacement 

I’ve done without heated seats for 8 years in the 986, but I do have to dress up like the Michelin man to keep warm on the colder days with the roof down and heaters on full. As long as you’re pressing on, the engine get nice and hot so the heating is quite effective, however if you have to take it easy for traffic or because of ice then it becomes quite uncomfortable as the blowers aren’t pumping out as much heat.

Most owners would just put the roof up, but it always seems a shame to do that on lovely crisp winter mornings, so heated seats will be a bonus for me👍

19 minutes ago, Dubdubz said:

Mainly as I like to do very cold days roof down and my back is always cold so as it’s an option I look for. 
if there was a car that had loads of special options but that was missing I’d still of course buy it. 
PASM had not been on my list as I was worried about the cost if it went wrong and cars I’d be looking at would be 12 years old and 60k so may need a replacement 

Fair enough - I did do a couple of roof down trips whilst it was a bit frosty but bright.  Agreed that the seat would've been nicer there but I tend to go togged up anyway. Given the choice I'd have a warm hat over a heated seat, feel the cold on my shiny head 😆

I don't think I've heard of PASM going wrong as such. Obviously there must be some instances of failure but it's not on the "top 5 things that might go wrong on a 981".  If it was an Audi R8 then absolutely it's a major concern, I guess Porsche decided not to buy those components from Cadburys like Audi did.

15 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

I’ve done without heated seats for 8 years in the 986, but I do have to dress up like the Michelin man to keep warm on the colder days with the roof down and heaters on full. As long as you’re pressing on, the engine get nice and hot so the heating is quite effective, however if you have to take it easy for traffic or because of ice then it becomes quite uncomfortable as the blowers aren’t pumping out as much heat.

Most owners would just put the roof up, but it always seems a shame to do that on lovely crisp winter mornings, so heated seats will be a bonus for me👍

I've had three cars without any heating at all (cruelly including the VX220 in that list, the other two literally didn't have a heater matrix) and driven all on cold and bright Winter's days. Quite familiar with feeling like Michelin man, one time was with full motorbike waterproof gear, must've looked a right tw*t 🤣

• Haha 1