Auto wipers

bandit_287

I’m under the impression that the auto wiper can be turned on by the dealer, so when the car goes in for its MOT in Feb i’m going to ask the OPC to switch it on. If I remember correctly you just keep the wiper stalk in the intermittent position and the wipers do their own thing going faster or slower depending on the volume of rain?
I should remember this as my 981 had them fitted and I don’t remember doing anything different.

I guess it’s just a simple dealer software activation or is the car going to need any additional hardware too?

Just now, bandit_287 said:

I guess it’s just a simple dealer software activation or is the car going to need any additional hardware too?

Yes, all 718's have the hardware, it's a software activation in PIWIS.

42 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

If I remember correctly you just keep the wiper stalk in the intermittent position and the wipers do their own thing going faster or slower depending on the volume of rain?

Yes

Not all OPCs know how to activate the auto wipers.  I managed to find some instructions on the ‘net to give to my local OPC after they’d failed the first time to set up the auto wipe.  The instructions worked but triggered a warning on the PIWIS suggesting my rear view camera needed realigning.  It didn’t.  

if anyone wants to send me a direct message I’ll dig out the instructions and send them privately

If they are based on the VW system (likely) then they are fine.  Have had them on several VAG cars, but they also have a sensitivity switch with 4 position settings on top of the stalk, do the Porsches that have them as factory fit?

10 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

If they are based on the VW system (likely) then they are fine.  Have had them on several VAG cars, but they also have a sensitivity switch with 4 position settings on top of the stalk, do the Porsches that have them as factory fit?

The hardware is present on all 981/718 cars. PIWIS can wake it up as per the video in the the earlier post.

My 987.2 has them.  Work really well with the caveat that the screen needs to be clean and the wipers in good effective condition. If they smear or streak in the wrong place then the sensor thinks there’s something to clear and fires the wipers again making it worse.  

don’t know about the 981 or 718 but mine has a setting in the pcm which basically translates to “on by default or on by choice”.  Effect is if you leave it in intermittent pos then on by default kicks in straight away.  On by choice needs you to goto off and then back to intermittent before it kicks in. 

second option stops you ripping the wipers if you happen to start the car and they are frozen to the screen.  - wish my daily had that…….

• 1 month later...

My cars booked in at the OPC on Tuesday for an MOT and to have the auto wiper activated. They rang me this morning to tell me that if I want that activated I’ll need a new wiper stalk, rain sensor module on the windscreen and an activation code and something else. I said that as far as I’m aware all 718’s have the hardware installed at the factory and the activation is a simple PWIS coding. Are they clueless or correct? I’m more inclined to listen to the knowledgeable people on here than main dealers. 

Edited by bandit_287

23 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

My cars booked in at the OPC on Tuesday for an MOT and to have the auto wiper activated. They rang me this morning to tell me that if I want that activated I’ll need a new wiper stalk, rain sensor module on the windscreen and an activation code and something else. I said that as far as I’m aware all 718’s have the hardware installed at the factory and the activation is a simple PWIS coding. Are they clueless or correct? I’m more inclined to listen to the knowledgeable people on here than main dealers. 

All 718's have the hardware already.

It's a coding option in PIWIS. 

It’s there had mine activated on my 981 ,  basically the guy said you have it answer I know just needs activating 2 mins later installed via PIWIS , outcome was an x Wilmslow Porsche tec didn’t know it could be done , cost to me nothing and a big learning curve for him

On 2/16/2024 at 3:48 PM, bandit_287 said:

Classic OPC response - books states this so must be true as it now sounds expensive and difficult....

Porsche auto wipers are way better than the too slow BMW ones.  Porsche are almost too sensitive, I have mine set to as nonsensitive as possible as I find that acceptable for driving.  Down side is I often have to do a manual flick when first setting off from being parked up.

Took the car for it’s MOT at the OPC today and asked them to also code the auto wipers, they walked around scratching their heads saying they’re not sure they can do it but will see. Car failed on a split in a tyre so they spent most of the afternoon sourcing a replacement to get it passed(damn annoying as it still had loads of tread left on it) They said they’ll have to re-book it in to see if it’s possible to code in the wiper function but they’re still not sure so I think I’ll get it done somewhere that know they can do it. 

Edited by bandit_287

I changed the coding on my start/stop to "remember last setting" and they never commented once in all the warranty claims I had.

I wouldn't allow an OPC to service as I just didn't trust them, or like their pricing.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:40 AM, 718as said:

I had this done from a nice guy on this forum, you need a code, which a guy in Russia can supply.

Anyone interested let me know. 

Thanks

Cruise you need a code