Poor running, any ideas?

phazed

I’ve just taken my 986S for a short spin, it’s first since I bought it at least three months ago. I have never driven it, only reversed off the trailer into the garage. I seem to remember it was running okay but of course only running for a minute or two, I may be wrong.

Car starts up instantly, will idol a little roughly when cold. When bringing it up to temperature driving it sensibly, it does not want to rev easily and in fact, the more you press the accelerator, the more it wants to die. It will allow you to raise the revs while driving on small throttle openings but anything other than that it starts dying. When warm it idles roughly at about 650 rpm. It’s coil packs had several cracks, (wouldn’t be surprised if they were the original, 115 K mile items) in the plastic housings. I repaired these with high temperature epoxy and there are no cracks in sight. I understand that this is no guarantee and these may be at fault. It seems to me that as you try and accelerate, the engine starts dying, it sounds like there may be or certainly feels like an air leak. If you try and accelerate more than moderately, it will occasionally also give a few pops, possibly what sounds like in the inlet manifold. I may be wrong.

The car stood unused for a year before I bought it, so I suppose it could be anything?

I disconnected and removed the MAF sensor. Carefully cleaned around its mounting, sprayed contacts with contact cleaner and assembled . No joy, just the same. That is where I am at and any help would be appreciated. I’m sure a good quality code reader would help but sadly, I have not got one!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On the plus side, the engine sounds very smooth with no strange noises.

Plugs are all new. Will order a set of coil packs as suggested on another thread. Euro car parts if I remember right for the best deal. Should have renewed them when I had them off and was doing the manifolds a few months ago. My logic was that it was Driving OK before as far as I know and therefore be a tight ar*e and leave alone, (apart from my resin repairs). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phazed said:

Plugs are all new. Will order a set of coil packs as suggested on another thread. Euro car parts if I remember right for the best deal. Should have renewed them when I had them off and was doing the manifolds a few months ago. My logic was that it was Driving OK before as far as I know and therefore be a tight ar*e and leave alone, (apart from my resin repairs). 

The law of sods - they won't fail while you have it apart and it's easy, they wait for a bit, as it's so much more fun to have to go back in and get dirty again

I don’t suppose there is much else that can fail if it was running recently before. I know that is a big, “if “.

02 sensors are all connected. I assume they are OK.

my son will have a generic code reader, so I will ask him to call down one day. I hate to ask cause I know he is really busy running his own garage but when the old man needs……

11 minutes ago, phazed said:

I don’t suppose there is much else that can fail if it was running recently before. I know that is a big, “if “.

02 sensors are all connected. I assume they are OK.

my son will have a generic code reader, so I will ask him to call down one day. I hate to ask cause I know he is really busy running his own garage but when the old man needs……

Your money , your choice of course but given you’re hands on DIY I’d recommend getting a Porsche specific reader as it will safe you a bunch of time and guesswork with any issues over time. Again if you buy the multi car version of something like the iCarsoft V2 you’ll eek out value for money on any other cars on your fleet.

30 minutes ago, phazed said:

Autodoc, around £20.each or even down to about 16. but through their app for best pricing. BERU ZS178 Is identical to the current Porsche issued part, as they supply it to Porsche.

100% with @iborguk above.

Edited by ½cwt

That was it!
I will also look into these code readers as recommended.

I have one for my P38 which cost in the region of about 500 pounds and has saved me a lot of time with air suspension, etc. but a lot of money all the same

You say you cleaned and reinstalled maf.  ?  Did you try running the car with the maf disconnected ? The car will use a default map in that case.  If it runs fine the maf is faulty.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Paul P said:

You say you cleaned and reinstalled maf.  ?  Did you try running the car with the maf disconnected ? The car will use a default map in that case.  If it runs fine the maf is faulty.  

No. Will try that in the morning. 👍

Have you cleaned up the throttle body and intake? I'd also check for any air leaks around the throttle body and plenum. They won't show any CEL or code as post MAF. 

Of course, it is a possibility but I haven’t actually touched anything on the engine apart from spark plugs and exhaust manifolds . Of course it could be a problem I have inherited and it could well be an air leak somewhere. Judging by the engine under the cover and the state of the air filter I don’t think anything was done to the top side of this engine… so much for independent mechanics!

37 minutes ago, phazed said:

Of course, it is a possibility but I haven’t actually touched anything on the engine apart from spark plugs and exhaust manifolds . Of course it could be a problem I have inherited and it could well be an air leak somewhere. Judging by the engine under the cover and the state of the air filter I don’t think anything was done to the top side of this engine… so much for independent mechanics!

'It's difficult to get at, what do you expect, mate?'

If  .. if it’s coil packs on a code reader you will see multiple miss fire errors  if you don’t  a air leak but if it’s around the plenum area  regardless it would run like a bag of shyatee so could be sticking vario cam solenoid 

True.

I have just been talking to my Mechanic son about it and we both agree that it sounds like an air leak. Will look carefully for any split hoses or something that is out of place as a start.

Deviating from my minor problem. My son who runs a very small local Garage had one of his local customers who has several Porsches in last week. He brought in a four-year-old Porsche GT3 RS for its first MOT. Obviously he had to test drive it and reported back that yes, they are rocket fast!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, phazed said:

True.

I have just been talking to my Mechanic son about it and we both agree that it sounds like an air leak. Will look carefully for any split hoses or something that is out of place as a start.

Deviating from my minor problem. My son who runs a very small local Garage had one of his local customers who has several Porsches in last week. He brought in a four-year-old Porsche GT3 RS for its first MOT. Obviously he had to test drive it and reported back that yes, they are rocket fast!

Hopefully its second MOT if it is 4 years old .... 🤔

43 minutes ago, phazed said:

True.

If it was my car I would be p*ssed if a garage took it for a "test drive" when it was only in for an MOT.

Lets hope it was with the owners consent and if not lets hope he does not have dash cam. My friend caught a main dealer out when he took his Yaris GR in when the tech obviously forgot it has dash cam 😬

If it was working fine before you changed the plugs and epoxied the coil packs, I would start from there and make that electrical connector is plugged in correctly.

But if the coil packs are cracked, would  just replace them as a maintenance item.