Alloy stuck on hub.....

M12MTR

Howdy all.

Bit of a daft one. Wanting to fully clean the alloy wheel barrels and ceramic coat my wheels.

Jacked the car up and the wheel is properly stuck on the hub.

Apart from the obvious (lump hammer - don't fancy this tbh) is there another way to release the wheel? ie. WD40 in lug holes to free up from hub face).

Read that can loosen wheel nuts and roll car forward/ backwards to 'crack' the seal?

Cheers.

SmartSelect_20240222_144050_Gallery

I have this on my 981. Generally the rears are worse for me. Just in case you didn't know the cause. If you pop off the tiny centre cap there are 3 prongs which locate the wheel centrally. It is these which get stuck or sticky. I toyed with the idea of adding some lube here but never did, not yet.

Why oh why! Did front brakes this morning on a friends Audi A6 bothe wheels seized solid two bolts in slightly backed off upp and down the drive braking, did the job wheels removed no evidence of anti seize paste don’t people know ally and steel are Ned mates, just ridiculous poor servicing in its past life … won’t happen again fortunately for whom ever the next time wheels have got to come off…. Don’t these mechanics get properly trained these days?

35 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Why oh why! Did front brakes this morning on a friends Audi A6 bothe wheels seized solid two bolts in slightly backed off upp and down the drive braking, did the job wheels removed no evidence of anti seize paste don’t people know ally and steel are Ned mates, just ridiculous poor servicing in its past life … won’t happen again fortunately for whom ever the next time wheels have got to come off…. Don’t these mechanics get properly trained these days?

I've seen some comments from people who believe greasing stuff like wheel nuts is bad practice. They believe it makes them less able to hold the wheels on. I'm not saying I agree. I'm just saying people think greasing wheels and bolts is dangerous. And I can kind of understand why they might think that. The manufacturers don't issue their cars like that so these people think it must be for a reason.

9 hours ago, ATM said:

I've seen some comments from people who believe greasing stuff like wheel nuts is bad practice. They believe it makes them less able to hold the wheels on. I'm not saying I agree. I'm just saying people think greasing wheels and bolts is dangerous. And I can kind of understand why they might think that. The manufacturers don't issue their cars like that so these people think it must be for a reason.

Greasing wheel nuts IS bad practice as it can lead to overtorquing of the bolt. The torque specs of wheels studs are usually dry (as opposed to lubricated) torques. If you lubricate a thread, it will be tighter for a given torque than a dry thread and can damage the threads.

Im probably not stating it clearly, but you might get another ½ turn on a lubricated bolt before you achieve the correct torque, compared to tightening a dry bolt. 

Greasing the mating surface of a wheel to the hub is good practice 

Edited by moonshine

1 hour ago, moonshine said:

Greasing wheel nuts IS bad practice as it can lead to overtorquing of the bolt.

Porsche wheel nuts (when you buy 'em) are coated in Optimol Paste TA (referred to as Optimoly TA in Porsche docs)

Here's a partial quote from a 2012, 987 doc re wheel nuts.

"Apply a light coating of Optimoly TA (aluminium paste) to the thread, shank and under the head"

997.2 version of the doc linked and a pic of what I keep in the garage.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwip1_fA2ciEAxXaXUEAHSguCmcQFnoECBIQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Frennlist.com%2Fforums%2Fattachments%2F997-forum%2F1316380d1598447728-suspension-components-torque-specs-wm-4001tw-997-2-torques.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2Bj5gOorDiblzezI1JFLGW&opi=89978449

s-l1600.png

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Patt said:

Stand with your back to the car and hit the top of the wheel with your heel - works every time for me.

Like that, simpler than what I suggested. 

Occam's razor rules apply.

I have this problem daily and tend to whack them with the heel of my boot. It normally works 8-10 times, then it is the rubber mallet of that fails then it is the mechanics copper hammer on the inside with a piece of wood to protect the rim.

• Like 1