Spare wheel for a 987 ?

Bradders59

Brother in law has a lovely 987 purchased from a member here. He called me yesterday and asked if he bought a spare wheel from a 986, would it fit in the frunk, and would it fit the hubs of his car.

I had no idea, but Im sure someone here has investigated the possibility at some point ?

It may do - the bigger issue is what he does with the wheel he takes off? - it won't fit in either trunk and will make a mess of the interior if he doesn't have a passenger

Case closed.

I always carry a couple of cans of tyre weld or equivalent and a good quality compressor, not your usual 20 quid fag lighter type.

if you rip the tyre like my daughter did in North Wales with her Boxster in the middle of nowhere, there are emergency tyre fitters who will come and fit a new tyre on the side of the road. You obviously pay a premium for the service. At least if they can supply the correct tyre you can continue within a few hours. 

Yes it will, however, you will need a bunch of bungees and a rubber mat to hold the removed wheel on the rear bonnet. There is an article about it somewhere here but unfortunately i could not find it.

In the 986 [and 996] the overall circumference of the tyre is very similar front to rear and I think this is because of the spare wheel. Once Porsche ditched spare wheels they stopped making circumference match. On the 987 the 17 inch option has close or similar circumference front to rear but on the 18 and 19 there is roughly an inch in overall diameter difference. Rears being bigger. So the 986 spare will be maybe OK on the front of 18 and 19 inch cars but no good for all the others - 18 and 19 rear and 17 front and 17 rear. Unless you're happy driving with wheels across one axle with an inch difference in overall diameter. Yes it's only temporary and is probably OK to get you home but I'd rather call the breakdown truck. You could maybe try to get a different taller tyre fitted to the 986 spare if you're running the 17 option and this could work. Worth remembering that any 986 spare will now be at least 20 years old if it's original [some are 26 years old] and I wouldn't fancy driving on a 20 year old space saver tyre.

19 hours ago, ATM said:

.... and I wouldn't fancy driving on a 20 year old space saver tyre.

Bear in mind they are really a get you to a safe place/nearby repairer at no more than 50mph, rather than to blatt home down the motorway tyre and they have been kept away from weathering and UV light in the luggage compartment.  I'd trust mine in an emergency.  The main problem is people don't keep them inflated to 4.2Bar.

I fitted the spacesaver wheel to my daughter’s Golf gtd after she trashed another tyre, (pothole).

Was checking her car a few weeks later, (as dads do) and noticed the spacesaver still in place, (front near side). When questioned she stated that she completely forgot it was fitted and wondered why the traction control light kept illuminating!

Where is the slap my forehead emoji…

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

The main problem is people don't keep them inflated to 4.2Bar.

My 5series has a lovely wheel well where a space saver once sat but BMW decided we didn't need a spare so gave us tyre gunk. Then they decided that the wheel well would be a brilliant place to put the battery even though the original spot down the side of the boot was fine! Anyway I like a spare so bought a space saver and have carried it around in the boot for something like 8 years (two different cars) much to the amusement of several family members. To the point.... The other week I had a puncture and proudly took the space saver out and fitted it only to find it was as flat as a pancake! Thankfully I also had an electric pump with me. "There you go - I told you that would be useful" I proudly said to my wife.

22 hours ago, Freeman said:

Yes it will, however, you will need a bunch of bungees and a rubber mat to hold the removed wheel on the rear bonnet. There is an article about it somewhere here but unfortunately i could not find it.

Berty987 put the article up, IIRC.

7 minutes ago, entdgc said:

My 5series has a lovely wheel well where a space saver once sat but BMW decided we didn't need a spare so gave us tyre gunk. Then they decided that the wheel well would be a brilliant place to put the battery even though the original spot down the side of the boot was fine! Anyway I like a spare so bought a space saver and have carried it around in the boot for something like 8 years (two different cars) much to the amusement of several family members. To the point.... The other week I had a puncture and proudly took the space saver out and fitted it only to find it was as flat as a pancake! Thankfully I also had an electric pump with me. "There you go - I told you that would be useful" I proudly said to my wife.

I had the rear blowing while going out with friends, no gunk could help, since I carry a spare wheel so can help myself out of troubles.

3 minutes ago, Freeman said:

I had the rear blowing while going out with friends, no gunk could help, since I carry a spare wheel so can help myself out of troubles.

Personal take I'd be calling the AA/RAC/Porsche Assist/GreenFlag etc at that point.

I dislike the gunk approach but would use it if I have to.

I went for a 2nd hand Porsche scissor jack and the tyre plug approach if I can/have to self-heal it.

I cracked a wheel on the 5 series last week, while on holiday. No amount of gunk was going to help that. Luckily I have a space saver and found an alloy wheel centre only 40 miles away, who welded it the following day. 

3 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Personal take I'd be calling the AA/RAC/Porsche Assist/GreenFlag etc at that point.

I dislike the gunk approach but would use it if I have to.

I went for a 2nd hand Porsche scissor jack and the tyre plug approach if I can/have to self-heal it.

Called Green Flag, arrived after 2h and took us home, a good 1h20min drive. I carry the water base gunk and a spare wheel, just in case. 

I think that this set is better/easier to use than the one that you have suggested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zocipro-Screwdriver-Self-Service-Universal-Motorcycle/dp/B09XDK4H7K/ref=pd_bxgy_img_d_sccl_2/259-7752821-6073621?pd_rd_w=xVCHw&content-id=amzn1.sym.69d5fdce-57f7-4499-8343-a6ae989376d3&pf_rd_p=69d5fdce-57f7-4499-8343-a6ae989376d3&pf_rd_r=VVCCGEVC1KZQC12H2KKX&pd_rd_wg=QyNeJ&pd_rd_r=ce404337-849a-43a8-8ac0-7d65180c8801&pd_rd_i=B09XDK4H7K&th=1

12 hours ago, Freeman said:

that seems so at odds to what you think you should do with a punctured tyre!

Makes you wonder how many cars are out there with these things in that either people haven't bothered to repair properly or don't know about

My son tried that gunk when he had a puncture and couldn't get it to work at all. I've also heard that even if it does work, when you come to change the tyre, it's a real pain to get the gunk out of the wheel and I assume the tyre place will charge extra?

Weirdly, I've never had a puncture in my entire driving life of 30+ years. I've had a couple of slow punctures (nail in the tyre, drove to a tyre place) but never stuck on the side of the road, hence why I don't bother with a spare or gunk - I'll just call my recovery service.

Will a wheel not fit in the frunk? Looks like there is enough space...

Edited by nelmo

We carry this type of kit in all our cars and have used it twice over the last five years with great success to repair nail/screw straight through the tread slow punctures. Mine also contains a tube of "rubber solution" similar to a bike puncture repair kit. They are only supposed to get you home but...

Edited by Codfanglers
addition

3 minutes ago, Codfanglers said:

We carry this type of kit in all our cars and have used it twice over the last five years with great success to repair nail/screw straight through the tread slow punctures. Mine also contains a tube of "rubber solution" similar to a bike puncture repair kit. They are only supposed to get you home but...

Yup I mentally treat this as "break glass" to get me out of a hole (ahem) and to the nearest tyre place to deal with the issue.

3 hours ago, nelmo said:

Will a wheel not fit in the frunk? Looks like there is enough space...

We're British man. It's the froot.

A front might fit but a rear maybe not. I tried to get a rear tyre only [18 inch so 265] in my 996 and it didn't fit. The nose gets narrower as you get closer to the front. So tyre went in but prevented bonnet closing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATM said:

We're British man. It's the froot.

Funny, not heard that one before - definitely better than frunk. My Honda NC700 has the tank under the seat so it has a 'frunk' as everyone calls it,....never did like the word but never occurred me to use something else 🤦‍♂️