Auto headlights mod - anyone tried this?

Mattman42

Interesting. 

Then I remember my Sport Chrono Plus has the PCM option "DRLs on", which puts my lights on with ignition on. So I barely use my headlight switch.  (Actually I use it at night to switch on dash backlighting). I believe for those without SC+, the same can be done with PIWIS.

Saved $125 :) 

15 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Interesting. 

Then I remember my Sport Chrono Plus has the PCM option "DRLs on", which puts my lights on with ignition on. So I barely use my headlight switch.  (Actually I use it at night to switch on dash backlighting). I believe for those without SC+, the same can be done with PIWIS.

Saved $125 :) 

Might be worth checking to see if in "DRL" mode your car puts the rear lights on. As if you rely on it at night you would be in stealth mode from behind!

I do find it astounding the number of manufacturers who have front only DRLs.  I thought the idea was for the vehicle to be more visible during the day.

1 hour ago, Bike Loon said:

Might be worth checking to see if in "DRL" mode your car puts the rear lights on. As if you rely on it at night you would be in stealth mode from behind!

Just went out and checked - rear lights on, number plate lights on 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iborguk said:

This Sports Chrono mod also looks interesting

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GNVvPljjNI13-C9akVHCA_3eUQgWBQ-/view

Clever folks out there...

Love that - saw another one similar, with other far more useful dials. Detest my useless clock, even just a digital timepiece would be more useful. But I'm not sure it's possible with the 987.1 for some reason, might be because (as mentioned elsewhere) it was lacking the appropriate senders for the info.

Am I missing something here...?  "What it does is very simple: When it gets dark, the headlights turn on. When it is bright outside they turn off".  Er, or you could simply turn the headlight switch on and off...... 

Madness! 😂

2 hours ago, Davey P said:

Am I missing something here...?  "What it does is very simple: When it gets dark, the headlights turn on. When it is bright outside they turn off".  Er, or you could simply turn the headlight switch on and off...... 

Madness! 😂

Yup. I agree.  Apparently became a thing because chunks of Europe mandate lights on in tunnels.  

and when it’s foggy or snowing the car thinks everything is nice and bright and doesn’t turn them on, and people assume the car knows best.  

3 hours ago, Davey P said:

Madness! 😂

By you have staff....

Hmm, none of the Amazon stuff is currently available.  Annoying that my '08 BMW had automated headlight while 'newer' Porsches don't.  And yes I can always do it manually but it looked like a money-saving exercise, enhancing stakeholders' returns...

39 minutes ago, greenman986s said:

Does anyone know if any of these kits would work for a 986?

Don't see why not, seems to be a generic aftermarket product.

• Like 1

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1370172-announcing-auto-headlights-version-2-for-997-1-and-997-2-a-4.html

Original thread for this Mod is here, the guy is American based but ships to the Uk and shows the evolution of the product. No affiliation. 

The generic ones I believe wouldn’t work correctly as there looks to be some specific bypasses on the Porsche required. 

Edited by Drrncour