Tilt Sensor on alarm Ferry Crossing

Toddie

Hi all, sorry if this has been done to death previously, But does the double lock trick disable only the motion sensor? or does it do the tilt sensor as well?

Going To Holland on overnight ferry & P&O ask for the alarm to be disabled. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance Toddie

Double lock from the fob should disable the interior and tilt sensor as far as I know - its does exactly that on the 987 - and I think I read the 986 is the same. 

Checking my Driver's Manual a double lock disables the interior monitoring (always automatically disabled if the roof is down), says nothing about the tilt sensor.

As access to car decks is prohibited on car ferries when they are at sea, the only certain course of action is to park it unlocked from what I can tell however this should have minimal security risk.

I 've always put the alarm into "valet mode" ie 2 fast presses of lock button.

Although one year in the 986 I managed to also leave the doors unlocked too.

Last thing you want is to to be that person that needs a jump pack before the rest of the ferry can get off.

9 hours ago, Patt said:

I 've always put the alarm into "valet mode" ie 2 fast presses of lock button.

Although one year in the 986 I managed to also leave the doors unlocked too.

Last thing you want is to to be that person that needs a jump pack before the rest of the ferry can get off.

Exactly why I am asking the forum!  

Thought.  Set the alarm with one press, then jack up one side of the car to a decent height and see what happens.  Have the key to hand to disarm.  Repeat with two presses to lock and see if it triggers at the same height or not.  If not, valet mode disables the tilt too.

• Like 1

I have been back and forth between England and Ireland on the ferry many times in the Boxster and other cars, locked them all as normal every time and never had the alarm go off to my knowledge, definitely never had a flat battery or seen anyone who has. Some of those sailings were seven half hours Liverpool to Dublin.

18 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I have been back and forth between England and Ireland on the ferry many times in the Boxster and other cars, locked them all as normal every time and never had the alarm go off to my knowledge, definitely never had a flat battery or seen anyone who has. Some of those sailings were seven half hours Liverpool to Dublin.

Coming home from Liverpool to Belfast I got access to the car deck just after we'd cleared land.

Was like one of those Tesla light-offs on the car deck with horns, sirens, lights and indicators except for our car, felt a bit left out TBH  :laugh:

• Like 1

This has been discussed here before I'm sure and after 10 years of ownership 3 different Boxsters and reading 3 manuals I'm still non the wiser on this issue. 

On 4/4/2024 at 1:32 PM, 999mch said:

To be honest if you are going to be on a ferry this weekend, the alarm going off may be the least of your worries !

It's next weekend!

My tilt sensor module (under passenger seat) was unplugged when I got it. I presume there maybe some issue with it so have not plugged it back in. Being unplugged does not seem to affect any other functions so maybe that is an option for you?

Maybe the previous owner of my car went on a lot of ferries?

Hi guys, so today tried the double click lock and then the alarm appears to arm followed by a single horn beep with some long indicator flashes.

Does this sound right! 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so just got back from 7days in Holland, 2 overnight ferries from Hull/Rotterdam & return, car double locked both times, no battery issues after either crossing, so can only presume that this disables the tilt as well. I will endeavour to try jacking it up to test the theory, but as out drive is on sharp slope, it will have to wait until I can find time to do it @ my mates.