Tick tick boom!

fizz

1 hour ago, Dubdubz said:

@marseille did the 3.4 996 swap into his 2.5. Not so straight forward with the electronic throttle body of the later Boxsters. 

There is 5 rights and 2 lefts from memory. The lefts are not long so track is quite Porsche friendly.

i took the precaution of fitting D911 extended sump when I prepped my car.

• Like 1

I remember a few engines being lunched on here over the years; sometimes IMS, other times bottom end. Mercifully few, I'm not sure the number hit double figures in as many years. Nearly always 986, excepting Jason's 987, I think.

11 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

@fizz  - perhaps this provides an opportunity for an ev conversion ;)

In my old kit car days you could get a chassis/body kit for a popular car perhaps for 3-5k and transfer the mechanicals. I wondered if there would be a parallel route for EV conversions for good bodywork (my Toyota is 15yo, engine dying but great rest of car) but unfortunately it seems any conversion starts at 15k and I think that was parts only :( , you need to be pretty dedicated at that price.

4 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

In my old kit car days you could get a chassis/body kit for a popular car perhaps for 3-5k and transfer the mechanicals. I wondered if there would be a parallel route for EV conversions for good bodywork (my Toyota is 15yo, engine dying but great rest of car) but unfortunately it seems any conversion starts at 15k and I think that was parts only :( , you need to be pretty dedicated at that price.

https://openinverter.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210

There is a big build thread on Pistonheads about this modification and it turns out, there is a full kit to fit a VW 4 Cylinder turbo engine into the Boxster. The person doing it seems super capable and a decent bloke. He picked up on one of my comments and sent me some info on another matter a few weeks back and he gave me an indication of costs to do it all - the idea of the project is to buy a 986 with a broken engine and give yourself at least 300 BHP plus the option of a lot more for the cost of a flat 6 rebuild and new clutch.

I mentioned this thread to him and he said he didnt want to join a community to simply promote something and gave me the link to his project website, which is not on Pistonheads.

https://www.986booster.com/enhancedrepowerkit  

52 minutes ago, TV8 said:

There is a big build thread on Pistonheads about this modification and it turns out, there is a full kit to fit a VW 4 Cylinder turbo engine into the Boxster. The person doing it seems super capable and a decent bloke. He picked up on one of my comments and sent me some info on another matter a few weeks back and he gave me an indication of costs to do it all - the idea of the project is to buy a 986 with a broken engine and give yourself at least 300 BHP plus the option of a lot more for the cost of a flat 6 rebuild and new clutch.

I mentioned this thread to him and he said he didnt want to join a community to simply promote something and gave me the link to his project website, which is not on Pistonheads.

https://www.986booster.com/enhancedrepowerkit  

That looks very interesting... wonder how much he would charge to install as well. Boosted 986 would be interesting having loved my old mr2 turbos in the past. 

Then it comes down to maintenance and which garage would touch it. 

There is also a couple of companies in the UK that has completed the LS swap too, although IIRC it was a Cayman they did it in.

think one was Driftworks, can't remember the other

3 hours ago, phazed said:

There is 5 rights and 2 lefts from memory. The lefts are not long so track is quite Porsche friendly.

i took the precaution of fitting D911 extended sump when I prepped my car.

The oil pick up is on different side between  911 and Boxster as the engine is turned 180⁰ between the two types.  Not sure which has which side though. Extended sump is the way to go.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the engine woes Fizz. With any luck its salvagable. If its not.... I've always thought a Flat 6 would make a cool coffee table with space to store 6 bottles of wine flat 😅 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The oil pick up is on different side between  911 and Boxster as the engine is turned 180⁰ between the two types.  

Unless it is a 991 or 992 RSR 😉

2 minutes ago, Patt said:

sand blast + clearcoat + some cheep glass from B&Q nad it would almost buy a replacement:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172941926264?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338365712&toolid=20006&customid=EB218205479&

Porsche Flat 6 Engine Block Coffee Table / V8 / V12 / 911 Boxster GT3 RS Cayman - Picture 1 of 10

I've seen these sold in The Man Cave shop where @JohnK lives and various other places - they do look really cool - my son did the same with an old Apple Mac Computer as he did computer science at the same uni as the guy who designed the Iphone.

2 hours ago, fizz said:

That looks very interesting... wonder how much he would charge to install as well. Boosted 986 would be interesting having loved my old mr2 turbos in the past. 

Then it comes down to maintenance and which garage would touch it. 

In the email exchange we had he included "There is also the option of a drop off/pick up service as Badger 5 are happy to perform the full conversion, including any engine build requirements, calibration work etc. as a one stop shop"

They look to be these people. https://badger5.co.uk 

56 minutes ago, Patt said:

Unless it is a 991 or 992 RSR 😉

I'm thinking M96/M97 engines....

2 hours ago, Patt said:

There is also a couple of companies in the UK that has completed the LS swap too, although IIRC it was a Cayman they did it in.

think one was Driftworks, can't remember the other

Now you're talking. Torqueing. Whatever. One of those things that's so wrong it's right. I wonder how the price compares? Over here LS motors are a lot scarcer of course.

2 hours ago, Patt said:

I know.

But you also know it's one of my favorite "stabbing stick" facts too.

:stickprod:  😉

Edited by ½cwt

5 hours ago, TV8 said:

In the email exchange we had he included "There is also the option of a drop off/pick up service as Badger 5 are happy to perform the full conversion, including any engine build requirements, calibration work etc. as a one stop shop"

They look to be these people. https://badger5.co.uk 

Was at Badger5 a couple of Sundays ago with another BoXa member and another club - loads of interest in what they do, and lots of great sounds coming out of the car they had on the rolling road and playing around with - think they have another open day on a Sunday in conjunction with Boho Bakery On Tour in August September time - 400 cars at the last meet - think I booked a ticket for it  😊

Edited by CAZ