Low MPG?

lordlee

I'm getting 20.7 MPG at the moment according to the trip. That seems low compared to my old 986.2 S - although that car was a manual. On a long run at 85 leptons it's still getting the same figure. It runs like a swiss watch so I would guess there is nothing too obvious. What are other owners getting please?

Probably not comparable, but an extra data point anyway. Last weekend in my 2.5 Tip I cruised to an early morning meet on the motorway at about 60-65 with bits of 50 limit and trip computer said 34 mpg, then had a 'spirited' drive around north yorks after resetting the trip and it recorded 22 mpg, followed by 32 for the drive home where I hit traffic going past the Trafford centre :angry:. That was with Tesco Momentum, but obviously with Shell V Power I would have got 40mpg ;). I must try it with 95 ron just to see if there is any difference for me.

I know the S versions are a bit more thirsty, but that does seem low. Have you tried resetting the trip during a long run through roadworks on a 50 limit to see what it gives? 

20 minutes ago, lordlee said:

I'm getting 20.7 MPG at the moment according to the trip. That seems low compared to my old 986.2 S - although that car was a manual. On a long run at 85 leptons it's still getting the same figure. It runs like a swiss watch so I would guess there is nothing too obvious. What are other owners getting please?

Seems low to me too.  It does depend on driving style and journey lengths though.  

Advanced driving, that'll be it. Progress, progress ?

Eco driving is where you need to be, ala Miss Daisy. 

On a serious note, do you do the fuel app thing, I do one for the cars and bikes which allows indicators of issues relating to fuel consumption. 

Brakes not binding, excessively hot one side or the other?

I constantly get over 30mpg, more often 32mpg - this is calculated & where the OBC reads anything from 34-35mpg.

But in fairness, I rarely drive it hard & when I do drive it the journeys are circa 40 miles with 90% on the motorway or a fairly clear A road.

Mine's a 2.7 987 (6 Speed) and my trip hasn't been touched for months 50% Dual carriageway and 50% valleys Driving and mine has been showing 29.1 for the last few months, I do tend to have a blast every now and then but at the same time i do drive really casual 99% of the time.

Guvs. 

That consumption is very low - I would get it checked.

On the subject of MPG I recently achieved 40 MPG in the Boxster on my 40 mile journey home (mainly Motorway at 50mph + clear B roads) 

Mental note to self, I must drive faster, I must drive faster, I must drive faster.................... 

I thought my trip was bust, and still have my suspicions it might not be telling the whole truth. It doesn't seem to register anything other than 26. something, regardless of length or type of journey. It does " about " 400 miles on a tank.

48 minutes ago, moneypit said:

I thought my trip was bust, and still have my suspicions it might not be telling the whole truth. It doesn't seem to register anything other than 26. something, regardless of length or type of journey. It does " about " 400 miles on a tank.

When was it last zero'd ?  I used to get the same on out 3.2S but Mrs Araf would take it out a few times and force it down to 23mpg in no time. :rolleyes:  I believe it was to do with the journey lengths and her not getting the car up to temperature, rather than it being that she was wringing its neck.

I'm about 3/4 through my tank and I'm at 21.7 mpg. I reset every tank.

On a steady motorway  drive it's nearer 30-32.  When she's recently been serviced that rises over 34.

My mpg is the same as the OP, getting around 20/21 mpg.

I don't drive it hard all the time but don't hesitate to open it up (it is a sports car after all) I just under 300 miles to a tank.

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wazzer! Where you bin?!

Nowhere really, except attending to some health matters and ....well ..... being lazy. Taking the old girl to Revolution for service shortly.

Archived