What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

I use lodge services in gorton, couldnt recommend them enough, price wise im paying for a mot and coffin arm to be put on as well so il find out then 😉 although be warned the bolts are steel and the frame they go into are ali, so could very well be welded on. But makes a nice difference. Car feels sharp again and taken away those annoying creeks. Went with normal porche bushes, poli bushes are great for track but not that much noticeable difference on the road for thr extra price and can squeak.

Used my new QuickJack for the first time. SOOOOO much easier than a floor jack and jack stands. And safer to boot. An added bonus is that it works in a narrow garage where a floor jack just wouldn't work. CHanged the oil in wife's Boxster and discovered that the postcat heat shield fasteners are so rusted that I could just pull the heat shields off. Ordered new clips and bolts from Pelican. Almost $100 for 6 clips and 6 bolts. Porsche tax for you!

IMG_0171.jpg

Edited by Anker BS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nickyg63 said:

started up the car, let it warm through. moved it forwards & backwards to check nothings seized.  put the cover back over 

What's stopping you taking it for a quick spin, far better than ticking over on the drive, get the rust off the inner side of the brake discs for one.

Guvs.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Anker BS said:

Used my new QuickJack for the first time. SOOOOO much easier than a floor jack and jack stands. And safer to boot. An added bonus is that it works in a narrow garage where a floor jack just wouldn't work. CHanged the oil in wife's Boxster and discovered that the postcat heat shield fasteners are so rusted that I could just pull the heat shields off. Ordered new clips and bolts from Pelican. Almost $100 for 6 clips and 6 bolts. Porsche tax for you!

IMG_0171.jpg

I like the look of that lift, looks very safe and expensive?

20 hours ago, Anker BS said:

IMG_0171.jpg

Where are your bumperettes? ;) 

Removed rear bumper in preparation for replacing the back box when the new (second-hand) one arrives next week. Watched a couple of YouTube videos, one for a 996 (which claimed to be the same as for a 986), and one for a 986. Removed the spoiler (easy), 3 Philips screws under the spoiler, the four Torx screws (2 each side underneath), and the 2 Philips screws in the wheel arches. The ends of the bumper were obviously loose, but something was holding it near the centre. Looked more closely and found 2 more Philips screws, which weren't mentioned in either video. These would not budge, so ended up drilling them out. 

Bumper is now off, and have sprayed lots of WD40 over the fairly rusty exhaust clamp bolts. Bit worried that even if I can get the clamps off, I won't be able to separate the back box from the connector pipes.