What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

37 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

Cleaned and reproofed the hood. Gave the rest of the car a good wash and as per my comment the other day on always finding something new every wash, I noticed that the paint is flaking on one of my alloys! They were refurbed less than 2 years ago, is this normal? 

Not normal. Poor prep most likely. Is there corrosion or bubbling underneath?

On 4/20/2019 at 6:23 PM, ½cwt said:

Oh, and the brake line shows slight pitting even after a through clean and a bit of ticking with emery cloth, so I guess it will not be passed. Old cars eh? ☹️

Well apparently the pitting was not so bad - it passed at retest!  Ticket until 13/5/2020 with advisories on 3 coffin arms and both front tyres.  Still Certificate shows PO did 751 miles in 2 years and I've done 1921 in only 8 months.

35 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

That looks poor prep to me, is it just one wheel @Sazzy? I'd be inclined to take them back for another go.......

Just the one wheel as far as I can see. Not sure I really want to go back to the same place now though. Disappointing. 

9 hours ago, Sazzy said:

Just the one wheel as far as I can see. Not sure I really want to go back to the same place now though. Disappointing. 

Was it somewhere local to you @Sazzy?  How much did you pay for the refurb?  Understand your disappointment but I’d probably go back to see what their reaction was...

45 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Was it somewhere local to you @Sazzy?  How much did you pay for the refurb?  Understand your disappointment but I’d probably go back to see what their reaction was...

Even after 2 years? Yes local, £65 a wheel. I'm not sure, but something tells me he mentioned a years guarantee at the time ....

Did you have the wheels powder coated or wet painted?

If they were powdered they should last 3-5 years but I think the standard guarantee is 12 months. If they were wet painted properly they should last a couple of years at least and I give 12 months guarantee on mine and never had any problems with peeling in 10 years 👍

1 hour ago, Sazzy said:

Even after 2 years? Yes local, £65 a wheel. I'm not sure, but something tells me he mentioned a years guarantee at the time ....

Sure, don't go in all guns blazing, just pop back and ask him to take a look and see what he thinks and that you were hoping with the minimal miles that you do the finish would last a bit longer...

13 hours ago, Sazzy said:

Here's a pic...

As others have observed that looks like poor prep prior to refurb to me, by comparison my standard 986S 17"s were refurbished by Exel Wheels in May 2012 (before my ownership) and since then have covered around 17k miles with at least one tyre change, they are still almost perfect aside from a single chip on one of them, presumably by a very sharp stone.

So I'd be inclined to get the company that refurbed them to have a look, especially considering you've not had any tyre changes in that time.

If it is just that one area of the one wheel, it makes you wonder if there was maybe something up with the paint that went there, or something not rubbed off? Not even my diy rattle can spray job on my alloys, with no primer and straight on top of what was already there, has ended up flaking at all!

Edited by el 3.2S

7 hours ago, Sazzy said:

Thanks for all the comments I'll see if I can get down to them at some point. 

All you can is ask and appeal to their better professional nature.  As you said all the others are good (make that point to them) and so it must be a bit of contamination on the one wheel........good luck

• Thanks 1

OK, got the parts for the following:

- a coolant change along with replacing a leaking hose,

- all the gear to retro fit cruise,

- a replacement window regulator

- two A/C seals for the joint in front of right rear wheel

- wiring diagrams (from @Richard Hamilton, thank)s for checking faulty interior lighting.

I won't do them all in a day but as the car is kept outside, I just want the weather to make its mind up so I can start something 😠

Oil change early this morning, new front mud flaps, along with re-balancing the front wheels.

Removed tailpipes, cleaned with a scourer sponge and fairy liquid, dried, applied metal polish and buffed to a shine. Not as good as I'd wanted them, but much better than they were. The back plate was near impossible to clean with just a scourer and cloths. 

Before:

bUiMcF6.jpg

ZuLoqDU.jpg

...and after

wSxLy2T.jpg

nIJDVRd.jpg

Edited by GmanB

On 4/27/2019 at 8:55 AM, ½cwt said:

OK, got the parts for the following:

- a coolant change along with replacing a leaking hose,

- all the gear to retro fit cruise,

- a replacement window regulator

- two A/C seals for the joint in front of right rear wheel

- wiring diagrams (from @Richard Hamilton, thank)s for checking faulty interior lighting.

I won't do them all in a day but as the car is kept outside, I just want the weather to make its mind up so I can start something 😠

OK, got the loom made up yesterday, info from this experience added to How To thread on this subject.

Replaced window regulator on passenger side (broken cable) including some new door panel clips, all working 👍

Fitted new 4 stalk switch gear and installed all new wiring for cruise control retro fit, just need to book a slot at my indy to get it switched on.  The How To thread by @JonHoward42 is spot on. 👍  Just fitted steering wheel one spline out 👎 Nothing like a bit of work creation....

Also whilst doing cruise traced all the old wiring from a phone kit and a tracker that I'd found bits of when doing the head unit swap a few months ago.  Miles of cables and at least 5 modules hidden under the dash and around the fuse box plus two aerials under the scuttle plus a hidden speaker under left side of dash.  All now removed.

Best of all it started up with no problems and took it for a blast as a reward for my work 😀

So I decided to add a little weight...

Roof swap

black with a glass window, suits you, Sir! 

Roof swap

Roof swap

Proper clean thing! 

Roof swap

Only temporary on loan until a swap can be made for another black glass roof with a more rakish demeanour😏

surprised myself today with a bit of spannering.

54 minutes ago, Loz987 said:

So I decided to add a little weight...

Roof swap

black with a glass window, suits you, Sir! 

Roof swap

Roof swap

Proper clean thing! 

Roof swap

Only temporary on loan until a swap can be made for another black glass roof with a more rakish demeanour😏

surprised myself today with a bit of spannering.

You actually cleaned it... and not an angle grinder in sight!

On 4/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, GmanB said:

Oil change early this morning, new front mud flaps, along with re-balancing the front wheels.

Removed tailpipes, cleaned with a scourer sponge and fairy liquid, dried, applied metal polish and buffed to a shine. Not as good as I'd wanted them, but much better than they were. The back plate was near impossible to clean with just a scourer and cloths. 

Before:

bUiMcF6.jpg

ZuLoqDU.jpg

...and after

wSxLy2T.jpg

nIJDVRd.jpg

Get some fine wire wool from Screwfix, or the like - that with metal cleaner or even window cleaner will bring them up more.