What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, John2000 said:

s... and even a bigger thanks @½cwt  for answering so many of my question....

I'm not a real doctor you know, just a fellow have a go enthusiast, but only with lots of preparation!

It's been a pleasure, thanks for trusting me. @½cwt

3 hours ago, Tynesider said:

Is that true? and why? because I replaced one on Saturday and my local OPC didn't say anything when they ordered the part and didn't say so when I picked it up?

It's the only free thing, apart from stress and lies OPC Reading has ever given me. IIRC it cost them £2.50

Today I will be mostly up to my elbows in a headunit and amp change plus any rewiring that comes along 

I have already changed the dash speakers using the guide I found on here and it was pretty easy 

i have other speakers that I want to change the door units out with 

I have went old school with the kit I have using a blaupunkt Memphis m66 headunit and a Rockford fosgate punch amp coupled with alpine dash speakers and infinity doors should sound much better than the std setup that was there

cheers craig 

9 hours ago, Loz987 said:

Honest answer is, today I’ve admired it from a distance. The distance was created by 911😖

You only had triggers base broom, not surprising. How does it handle compared to the mid engine beauty? I've driven a 996 carrera, but didn't have a chance to remotely push it.

I’ve pushed the Carrera to the point the LSD and TC lights are saying, almost enough. It’s a very different animal. 

I believe they meet markedly different needs. The 986 is a scrambler, B road weapon. The 911 wants more road to exploit its potential and feels like much more metal. 

I love the B Road life, so Boxster is the dream car for me. At least now I know how different they really are. I think I expected much the same and was ready to be underwhelmed. Glad I’m now appreciating  the differences in a more positive light. 

My “Base”  broom is always going to be up front. I’ll not say the same of the Carrera. 

I've just fitted the under bumper air deflectors and rubber lips with new speed nuts and stainless steel screws.  Really simple job, only needs a PH2 screwdriver, 8mm socket and a torch 😀

Part numbers for anyone needing them:

Deflectors - 996.504.503.00 & 996.504.504.00

Rubber lips - 996.504.603.00 & 996.504.604.00

No.10 (4.8mm) speed nuts (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163062187617)

No.10 x 5/8" (4.8mm x 16mm) A2 flange head self tapping screws (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361063732473)

The plastics were £67.34 from OPC Perth and the fasteners were cheap off ebay.  You need 6 nuts and 6 screws.

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3416.jpg

On 7/12/2019 at 8:57 PM, Stewart_H said:

Straight after work I washed and fitted a replacement passenger sun visor (previous one was missing the mirror cover) 😊

My 987 one was missing when I viewed it too. Wonder how or why they go wandering off

32 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

My 987 one was missing when I viewed it too. Wonder how or why they go wandering off

I have no direct experience of this, but I believe the sequence of events is: passenger brings down the sun visor to use the mirror while the roof is open - when finished admiring themselves, doesn't close the mirror cover but just pushes the sun visor back to the up position (with the roof closed I think this would push the mirror cover closed, but not with the roof open) - roof is closed - mirror cover gets trapped in the closing gap and snapped off ...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

Fitted my Royal steering wheel , very pleased with the quality and no big drama to fit it

Before

5DSGOmel.jpg

AftdyqAM4cl.jpger

Looks good and this is on my list to do.

Can I ask what colours these are, is that black and red? 

Thank you.

Drove it circa 300 miles in the last 24 hours. 

Wondered if I should give it a clean. Put that decision off to another day. 

New motor settling in quite nicely and getting better as we iron out the niggles