What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

22 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

MOT  passed today, advisories only on the rear tyres which I am replacing on Wednesday, the Michelin pilot sports I put on 18 months and 7k miles ago haven’t lasted long. I don’t particularly drive hard, how many miles do you guys get out of the rear tyres?

I only get 7 to 8k, if you drive it like a Porsche this is normal, if you are getting 14k, buy a Corolla

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Terryg said:

I only get 7 to 8k, if you drive it like a Porsche this is normal, if you are getting 14k, buy a Corolla

😂, when I was using mine to commute, I’d get 24k miles out of a set of rear pilot sports 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, mvw said:

😂, when I was using mine to commute, I’d get 24k miles out of a set of rear pilot sports 🤣🤣

Is that you grandad? 🤣

When I had my wheels refurbed a few years back I had new N PS2 put on. Did maybe 1000 local miles over the summer then went to Europe in September. After about 4 days and maybe a max 2000 miles I needed new rear tyres 😂 Still, the other guys were doing mid week brake pad changes too so a set of uprated lads in 1000-2000 miles 😁

10 hours ago, mvw said:

So you bought a Boxster to commute? If you got that mileage you certainly did nothing else with it.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

So you bought a Boxster to commute? If you got that mileage you certainly did nothing else with it.

I've used it for everything including a lot of Motorway miles.  I concede I could have bought a Corolla, it certainly would have cost me less.

The dual mass flywheel removes a lot of the feel of the clutch - I was shocked how often I was spinning up the rears pulling away at junctions.  Didn't really notice until the roof was down.

14 hours ago, JL888 said:

I have these seats, can't believe how heavy they are.

MVIMG_20201004_123424

Hi, yes the standard seats are surprisingly, and upsettingly heavy. I remember lifting my big bolster 993 sports seats out for the first time and being absolutely shocked at the weight. If I did not love those seats so much they would have been gone years ago. I actually toyed with the idea of having a fixed frame made up that would take the soft parts of the seat and end up looking the same, but weigh a lot less. But I'm pretty much over it now.

As a southerner myself I do have a degree of sympathy for those with nice cars who live down there, I also wonder how many know what their car is capable of, these northern lads are largely knobheads but we have a great time shredding tyres.😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Terryg said:

As a southerner myself I do have a degree of sympathy for those with nice cars who live down there, I also wonder how many know what their car is capable of, these northern lads are largely knobheads but we have a great time shredding tyres.😉

No Terry it’s known as bedding in!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terryg said:

If you've been here long enough and are committed enough there are some decent roads. If your stuck in central London then unfortunately you're 30mins plus until you even reach anything fun. The good side of being in the south east is closer to Europe. For me I can get to Hants, Berks, Surrey, Oxon, Bucks, Dorset easily. You have to plan ahead your routes and times but it's do able.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, edc said:

If you've been here long enough and are committed enough there are some decent roads. If your stuck in central London then unfortunately you're 30mins plus until you even reach anything fun. The good side of being in the south east is closer to Europe. For me I can get to Hants, Berks, Surrey, Oxon, Bucks, Dorset easily. You have to plan ahead your routes and times but it's do able.

Yep totally get that, the key phrase is "committed enough", everyone is entitled to buy their car for whatever reason and use their car as they please but reading some stuff on here really has me scratching my head sometimes. I was fortunate to enough meet some likeminded people up in this wonderful part of the world shortly after buying my car and I am grateful to them and Porsche for giving me some wonderful memories, rest assured we don't concern ourselves with how many miles we get from our tyres or what name is written on them.

1 hour ago, Terryg said:

Yep totally get that, the key phrase is "committed enough", everyone is entitled to buy their car for whatever reason and use their car as they please but reading some stuff on here really has me scratching my head sometimes. I was fortunate to enough meet some likeminded people up in this wonderful part of the world shortly after buying my car and I am grateful to them and Porsche for giving me some wonderful memories, rest assured we don't concern ourselves with how many miles we get from our tyres or what name is written on them.

In what way scratching your head? 

For many owning more than one car is just not possible, no parking available. 

I rent my two parking spaces and it costs me a £2400 a year to do so. And I live in Norfolk. The car park I use in London who do long term parking would cost me £9950 a year. At that point I you would seriously way up whether two cars is necessary. 

But then I still do 20k miles a year and have kids and a dog so can't just have a fun car, tried it and people give me funny looks when I try and get out dog and my son in the boot on the Boxster. 

But if I had no dogs, kids, I would happily have a Cayman, 911 etc. and do everything in that car, including the commute. 
The difference is though when you do that and you are in it everyday is you then don't tend to take it out for a proper blast as much as you do when it is your 'fun' car. I had this with the M3 CSL, when it was my toy I was getting through rear tyres every 3-4k miles, then I started using it as a daily for 6 months and put 10k miles on it and the tyres were hardly even worn, because I wouldn't get home and take it out for a blast if I had been in it for 5 hours that day already. 

What do you mean concerned with what name is written on the tyre? 

53 minutes ago, gIzzE said:

What do you mean concerned with what name is written on the tyre? 

The brand name and N-spec or not maybe?

Everyone it entitled to own and in general use cars how they wish.  No way is right or wrong and one way may be far from another's idea of how a certain type of car should be used.  One might think it a waste, another might think it profligate. That's life's beauty, we are not all clones running the same programme!

• Like 2

Got ya. 

I must admit, my only concern with RWD cars is matching tyres front and rear. I would rather have 4 matching mid range tyres than two different premium tyres front and rear. N Spec or not to me is nonsense. 

My mate had been having issues with his 987 S and he had new coffin arms, alignment done multiple times, then new dampers and top mounts. I kept saying to put matching tyres on the thing, he had Continental up front and Pilot Sports on the rear, but was adamant it was not this. But I have had it enough times with M3s etc. where they become twitchy with mismatched tyres. Like the back end feels a bit loose., back end coming out on wet junctions and roundabouts far too easily. 

In the end a pair of Pilot Sports were put in the front and......BINGO! 

Handled exactly how you would expect it to handle. 

Now of course you can get two different brands that have very similar treads and be fine, but it is always a bit of a gamble and the difference different tyres can make to handling, more so RWD cars, can't be underestimated. 

Edited by gIzzE

Bought a complete under bonnet set of trims for 50 quid posted, mine was missing the battery cover and my small fire had melted the drivers side corner piece. Gave them a good clean up and started fitting them yesterday but it won't stop raining. Hopefully complete later after work.

19 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Needed a flat six fix, oh and a loaf of bread.  Any excuse for a blast the long way round.  Not taken it out for 10 days.

You were berating me the other day for not getting out more 🤔

43 minutes ago, the baron said:

You were berating me the other day for not getting out more 🤔

Have you noticed how wet its been?  Not exactly enjoyable Boxster weather.  It only took a loaf of bread and a vaguely dry day as an excuse after all...

12 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Have you noticed how wet its been?  Not exactly enjoyable Boxster weather.  It only took a loaf of bread and a vaguely dry day as an excuse after all...

Rain, snow Ice shouldn't matter these cars are not be be babied.🤪

7 minutes ago, the baron said:

Rain, snow Ice shouldn't matter these cars are not be be babied.🤪

Yeah, but in my case at least, the driver is!  I'm not into driving in biblical rain storms in anything unless I absolutely have to.

Anyhow I wrote the post more because I was proud of my 'flat six fix' alliteration (or whatever it is).  Hurbis eh?

Edited by ½cwt