What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

23 minutes ago, femreg said:

I did NC500 with detours and a trip of Isle of Skye. This was between 8th of April and 16th of April, the weather was amazing. I washed the car 2 times during trip,there are new stone chips I am afraid,but it worth all the trouble. I don't know how many times of refueling but I know how much I paid thanks to high fuel prices.

In total,I did more than 2000miles in a week there is still 986 noise in my head. Front boot for my wife,rear boot was for me and shopping and it was all good for a week trip.We didn't have any issues, no issues with ground clearance or tires. There were couple of squeaks but all of them easily solved by borrowing some tools. Best part was except one day,every day was top down for panoramic view. I logged the OBD data, dash cam, and so many photos.I can share more if anyone interested,I am still checking all data.

would love to see the photos. NC500 still remains a bucket list road trip

17 hours ago, Pinewood said:

would love to see the photos. NC500 still remains a bucket list road trip

I have a good list, and so many videos, photos, I will share once I have the time to sort them. Here are some good ones:kd03puZ.jpg

N4s9crj.jpg

EExB7Tg.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I took a chance on a £60  "OEM Boxster 996 wind deflector" as all the others were about £120.

Arrived and fitted.  Very happy boy.

I'm guessing they either had no idea what they go for or because it was down as a 996 no one bought it?  You can still get some bargains on ebay.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kay Pee said:

Getting it ready for sale as impending baby looms closer 😞

If needs must! I've managed to keep mine and have a just gone 2 yr old and nearly 1 yr old. 

Fortunately not. We did have 2 other daily type cars but down to 1 other car and with me working mostly from home and Mrs not working it's ok! 

I did a headlamp restoration (not particularly well I have to admit) about 18 months ago.  Decided to freshen the lights up a bit with a light rub with cutting polish, made a noticeable change but still a faded glory.

• Thanks 1

Fitted some 5mm spacers with longer bolts.

Not really a fan of spacers, but I figured I’d they are good enough for the 550 Spyder - considered to be peak 986 - then I’d give them a try.

Was part of a broader plan to fit 18” Carrera alloys, but I’m now thinking I’ll stick with 17”…

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I did a headlamp restoration (not particularly well I have to admit) about 18 months ago.  Decided to freshen the lights up a bit with a light rub with cutting polish, made a noticeable change but still a faded glory.

With the headlamp restoration and cutting, what, if any clear coat have you applied?

It is a fruitless exercise if you are just removing a product (with UV protection) and not applying a good quality 2k clear :) 

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

With the headlamp restoration and cutting, what, if any clear coat have you applied?

It is a fruitless exercise if you are just removing a product (with UV protection) and not applying a good quality 2k clear :) 

Yep, I know that now... The restoration kits largely don't mention resealing. Nothing like experience to learn where you went wrong.

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Yep, I know that now... The restoration kits largely don't mention resealing. Nothing like experience to learn where you went wrong.

Experience is what you get when you do not get something right first time :) 

Have a go Chris, you are a very talented chap. 

I would suggest flattening back with 800 ish paper so that the finish is dull, flat and uniform and then apply a 2k clear. You can get this in aerosol form now.

Once dry, you can flatten with 1200, 1500, 2000 etc prior to polishing.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I used the T-Cut Headlight restoration kit - comes with a UV sealant included to wipe on after polishing - worked pretty well for the price point

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Fitted some 5mm spacers with longer bolts.

Not really a fan of spacers, but I figured I’d they are good enough for the 550 Spyder - considered to be peak 986 - then I’d give them a try.

Was part of a broader plan to fit 18” Carrera alloys, but I’m now thinking I’ll stick with 17”…

I drove my 986 for a few weeks wearing 4 x fronts - so wearing 205 50 17 on all 4 corners - and it felt fine.  I didn't manage to provoke any lurid slides even though I was trying. Now I understand people like the look of big fat tyres but please don't assume they make the car drive better. They may give you more grip at the absolute limit but the rest of the time they make the car feel less nimble and agile. Some might prefer that but personally I don't. When it comes to tyres I think less is more.

Edited by ATM
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ATM said:

I drove my 986 for a few weeks wearing 4 x fronts - so wearing 205 50 17 on all 4 corners - and it felt fine.  I didn't manage to provoke any lurid slides even though I was trying. Now I understand people like the look of big fat tyres but please don't assume they make the car drive better. They may give you more grip at the absolute limit but the rest of the time they make the car feel less nimble and agile. Some might prefer that but personally I don't. When it comes to tyres I think less is more.

This is a god point. The Porsche specified options for winter tyres is actually 205 front and 225 rear on 16" or 17" rims. There is a 255 rear option for 17" too. 

Not sure how well 225 tyres would sit on 8.5" rear wheels though as 235 is the suggested minimum, perhaps their idea is to run 4 front rims just as you have, but the bonnet label doesn't say this.

ZzVploH.jpg 

8 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

This is a god point. The Porsche specified options for winter tyres is actually 205 front and 225 rear on 16" or 17" rims. There is a 255 rear option for 17" too. 

Not sure how well 225 tyres would sit on 8.5" rear wheels though as 235 is the suggested minimum, perhaps their idea is to run 4 front rims just as you have, but the bonnet label doesn't say this.

ZzVploH.jpg 

This is the same for the 996 but no 16 option. I tried to fit a 16 Boxster wheel on the rear of the 996 and it fouled on a suspension arm. The earlier air cooled cars had a 16 option and ran the same size tyres as the 986 but some people fitted a larger 245 45 16 rear. I think the cost cutting by Porsche when they produced the 986 resulted in them using the same 17 tyres type approved for the 996 but surely this doesn't really make sense with the mid engined layout compared to the rear engine layout.

20220130-111315.jpg

20220130-111335.jpg