What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Spent a few hours stripping down my O/S/R brakes to fix a rod speed related noise. Seemed to be disc rubbing in the backing plate.

Probably a good job as this was the only caliper that hadn’t been off during my ownership, pads not exactly “free moving”.

Did remind me that I hate brake shoes!

Received the caliper bolts and Goodridge brake lines from Type911 @T911UK exactly as they should be.  Just need to find time to do the project now I ahve all the parts with the cunifer brake line kit, caliper paint and decals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

They start 20 minutes apart, plenty of time to get home and collect the other. 

That reads like you left one kid alone at home for best part of an hour whilst you were out hooning. Sure that wasn't the case though 😉

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2022 at 2:56 PM, ½cwt said:

Received the caliper bolts and Goodridge brake lines from Type911 @T911UK exactly as they should be.  Just need to find time to do the project now I ahve all the parts with the cunifer brake line kit, caliper paint and decals.

Would you benefit from upgrading the master cylinder at the same time?

Not looking for more braking effort/feel, just doing this upgrade whilst renewing the other lines.  Goodridge price is pretty much the Porsche price for the flexi hoses and for a better hose IMO.  I know cheaper hoses are available but with Type911's caliper bolt price the overall purchase for bolts and hose was about the same from anywhere.

Edited by ½cwt

9 hours ago, mike597 said:

That reads like you left one kid alone at home for best part of an hour whilst you were out hooning. Sure that wasn't the case though 😉

Wife at home, school is 2 mins away. I promise I love my kids lol

I don’t either! It’s common in the 987, and we know the 9x6 had a GT3, so I just Ass-umed. 
When I did calipers hoses and fluid on mine it made total sense to do the MC at the same time for relatively little cost. I just put it out as an idea. 

Not sure it's an upgrade as such more a change but there is a GT3 master cylinder you can use 

• 2 weeks later...

9x7 gear linkage/lever

Q5gEnSfz.jpg

WWPdBRGS.jpg
Didn’t refit the green piece from the 9x6 mechanism as it seemed to foul the black cable. Black ball joint seemed somewhat past its best, so probably due for replacement.

Centre console must have been out before as the front screw hole (under gear lever gaiter) was cracked, so araldited that while it was out.

Rubber mats

V25yShp8.jpg

seems like a really tight fit on these, which is excellent.

Granted the timing is wrong, but I hated carpet mats over winter; I’d bought new ones not so long ago and they were already looking marked.

987.1 boot tray

wT5cLBpY.jpg
Wasn’t 100% sure this would fit, but I’m pretty happy with it.

Pics of the armrest USB that I did a while ago for wireless CarPlay

VmLFVPLa.jpg

gPvNSHsn.jpg
Rerouted the cable under the carpet, gear lever while the console was out.

I’ve got rear shoes, discs & pads ready to do, but ran out of enthusiasm for today!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

9x7 gear linkage/lever

Q5gEnSfz.jpg

WWPdBRGS.jpg
Didn’t refit the green piece from the 9x6 mechanism as it seemed to foul the black cable. Black ball joint seemed somewhat past its best, so probably due for replacement.

Centre console must have been out before as the front screw hole (under gear lever gaiter) was cracked, so araldited that while it was out.

Rubber mats

V25yShp8.jpg

seems like a really tight fit on these, which is excellent.

Granted the timing is wrong, but I hated carpet mats over winter; I’d bought new ones not so long ago and they were already looking marked.

987.1 boot tray

wT5cLBpY.jpg
Wasn’t 100% sure this would fit, but I’m pretty happy with it.

Pics of the armrest USB that I did a while ago for wireless CarPlay

VmLFVPLa.jpg

gPvNSHsn.jpg
Rerouted the cable under the carpet, gear lever while the console was out.

I’ve got rear shoes, discs & pads ready to do, but ran out of enthusiasm for today!

Where did you get the rubber floor mats? Thanks.

Thit a new MAF sensor as mine had failed.  Went from working fine one day, to the car not starting the next. Fortunately I'd picked up a new old stock Bosch one from the NEC classic a fee years back for an absurdly cheap 30 quid.🙂

Went to a local classic car show in Church Brampton near Northampton this morning...has a good selection of Porsches on display  and a fabulous Alfa Romeo Montreal which has to be one of the best looking cars ever made.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

Thit a new MAF sensor as mine had failed.  Went from working fine one day, to the car not starting the next. Fortunately I'd picked up a new old stock Bosch one from the NEC classic a fee years back for an absurdly cheap 30 quid.🙂

Went to a local classic car show in Church Brampton near Northampton this morning...has a good selection of Porsches on display  and a fabulous Alfa Romeo Montreal which has to be one of the best looking cars ever made.

What, where, when in Church Brampton?  Is it a regular event of a one off?

36 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

What, where, when in Church Brampton?  Is it a regular event of a one off?

First time it's been on as far as im aware. Organised by the Rotary club and a fairly decent turnout for a small village. Wouldn't be surprised if they hold it again next year as it was a success.