What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Went for a 'flat six fix' to collect parts from Silverstone Porsche (new rear plastic under tray and fixing brackets), on return the insurance renewal had arrived. 😱  £65 LESS than last year at a mere £149.22 !!! 😀 The difference almost paid for the fill up with SUL at Esso 😐.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit of shameless promotion here.  On 24 April there is a Boxster 25th Anniversary BoXa.net meet at the British Motor Museum Gaydon, please link to the topic below for more information and to note your interest:

• Like 1

Yesterday replaced the indicator switch which had ceased to auto cancel and fixed a random tooting horn using the 'O' ring fix (see youtube). Easy DIY jobs.

Today, got under the car to fix what I thought was a lose manifold to cat pipe flange. It wasn't. It was a lose tubular heat shield. The jubilee clip i used to fix the rattle 12 years ago had disolved! Another jubilee clip did the job. Made a diary note to buy another jubilee clip in 12 years time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nothing today, but yesterday I got the Boxster out and took it to the Collecting Cars Coffee Run at The Motorist.

Was a lovely morning, roof down on the way home, but felt very much like a poor relation. The 986 just doesn’t get the interest and attention it deserves from the wider enthusiast community.

fitted new tyres 😎 Accelera 651 Sports, will see how they fare round snetterton soon.

though, I now have a fairly nasty steering wheel vibration at speed, so will be going back to the shop for them to check the balancing...

now that new tyres are on and the car is covered in new tyre gloop, may also treat it to a wash soon!

Went to fit a new rear plastic under tray including the two horizontal brackets that support it off the aluminium struts that extend under the rear sub-frame.  As anticipated the M6 steel studs sheared off removing the nuts.  Anyone know what the fitting is, it seem it could be an M6 nutsert into the alloy, or a 'stud' sert.  It seems only be through the lower part of the alloy strut which has a hollow section through it. 

Either way hoping an engineering buddy of mine will take a look tomorrow and a couple of nutserts will do the trick.

1 hour ago, RalphyBMW said:

I recall this was a stud that was captive within the aluminium arm, I battled with mine and think I ended up just putting a bolt straight through.

This is to retain the diagonal stamping, right?

Yes. I'm looking at drilling it out, just wondering if anyone knew what it was designed (badly) to be. I'm thinking bolt with washers top and bottom or a nutsert if I can get some in a sensible timescale. Kits on Amazon are about £35 and could be useful for other things 🤔. Man Maths and tool collecting all in one job!

I'm guessing a new brace would come with the stud fitted as it is not listed as a separate component in the parts catalogue and also doesn't even show in the diagram other than as a hole in the brace.

Edited by ½cwt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Yes. I'm looking at drilling it out, just wondering if anyone knew what it was designed (badly) to be. I'm thinking bolt with washers top and bottom or a nutsert if I can get some in a sensible timescale. Kits on Amazon are about £35 and could be useful for other things 🤔. Man Maths and tool collecting all in one job!

After dabbling with rivnuts and other interesting fixings with the VX220, I was happy with a nut, bolt & washer solution!

Just now, RalphyBMW said:

After dabbling with rivnuts and other interesting fixings with the VX220, I was happy with a nut, bolt & washer solution!

Simplest is often best, and cheapest.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 999mch said:

I used a rivinut to reattach the alarm unit that the roof is also attached to. very simple and about £15-£20 including the 'nuts' on amazon

The lower prices ones are for ali rivnuts, As this supports part of the under trays and was steel to start with I'd go for steel, but the bolt solution is also attractive as I have loads of those already.

After using a friend's work shop I drilled the corroded sheared inserts out of both struts.  Horrible electrolytic corrosion all over the struts where they go anywhere near steel including building up under this rusty old bracket.  Have gone for the simple bolt option.  A further complication as I removed the rear wheel leading edge trims, 3 self tappers needed to be drilled out.  Fortunately I got a bag of stainless steel replacements.  All now reassembled and a complete new rear tray and supports are now in place on the car.  The original tray had been damaged and modified by a previous owner.

tkeOgsy.jpg 

InuUXVx.jpg 

0ZNMlSk.jpg 

• Like 1

That’s exactly what I did.

You did well with the “reverse mud flaps”, I had to take a multi-tool to one of mine, thinking “I’m sure a replacement is about £30, so f£&@ it”. 
I was wrong!

How are your rubber edge trims on the mud flap things?

3 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

That’s exactly what I did.

You did well with the “reverse mud flaps”, I had to take a multi-tool to one of mine, thinking “I’m sure a replacement is about £30, so f£&@ it”. 
I was wrong!

How are your rubber edge trims on the mud flap things?

There are only 3 screws not 4 locating each one now, the rear one underneath on each side the speed nuts are shot and as they didn't come out easily and I don't have spares, I just refitted them and put it on the To Do list for later.

I replaced the rubber trim strips not long after I got the car so bout 3 years ago. Still in good nick.