What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

So I need a full length back support of some kind to push me slightly away from the back rest

Exactly what I was imagining.  Can you use a folded towel or something like that.  I guess it depends how straight up the seat is because it will move around.  What about a standard pillow - you know from your bed?  Someone must sell a longer narrow cushion.  Surely some home furnishing place will have one.

My sister in law suffered terrible spinal injuries many years ago. She'll never drive again but as a passenger she uses a seat insert which has both base and back. It's a lightweight hinged frame with mesh surfaces. There are many orthopaedic supports out there. It may be worth a little research so that you can enjoy custody of the collector's Cayman more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Photogirl said:

You can diagnose it by touching your toes with your finger tips then seeing if you can progress to getting your wrists on the floor (which I can do).

I can do this (age 53), and my 987 seats are fine, but I’m 5’11” in socks and no significant spinal injuries. I sometimes have lumbar issues but not with that car on the rare occasion I’m in it for long. 

5 hours ago, ATM said:

So do they have the wings or are they standard tombstones?

The forum software won't let me upload even a very small image into this thread, so please follow this link to my Imgur and it's the last picture at the bottom:  https://imgur.com/a/czeZmTT

The issue is the way the top of the head rest curves forwards, this pushes my head into the wrong angle meaning my neck isn't straight. The winged bits on the side then push on my shoulder joints.

27 minutes ago, Photogirl said:

The forum software won't let me upload even a very small image into this thread, so please follow this link to my Imgur and it's the last picture at the bottom:  https://imgur.com/a/czeZmTT

The issue is the way the top of the head rest curves forwards, this pushes my head into the wrong angle meaning my neck isn't straight. The winged bits on the side then push on my shoulder joints.

Ok yes you have the sports seats in the Cayman.  I have the standard seats which dont have those sticky out wings but as we know you cant change them anyway.  You can see on the more standard seat - 2nd pic -  there is much less pushing forward all round as you get nearer the top of the seat.  The headrest does still curve forward by a reasonable margin but your shoulders are left to their own devices.  You can see in my pic below comparing the 2 seats side by side that the headrest is very different on the original 986 seat.  I actually like the way the headrest sits closer to my head but for you this isn't working. 

So yes I am back to recommending some form of narrow long cushion which you can use along your back but you need to make sure it stops or ends just below where the headrest begins or you wont be fixing the problem.

m8o783c.jpeg

20210822-164714.jpg

@ATM - good comparison, thanks. My 986 has the standard seats like the right hand one in your photo (with the lines of stitching across) and I find those seats really nice. 

I'm going to find, or make, a long shallow pad to go behind me for the Cayman, hopefully it will help because I literally can't drive the thing as it is. 

@Photogirl it is sound almost like you need a double thickness centre insert, or a second one taken from a damaged seat, to effectively reduce the depth of the seat back so the bolsters and wings don't push the outer parts of you shoulders and back forwards.  It could well be possible to retain something like this in place with tow or three bands that loop round the original centre inserts without affecting them.

https://i.imgur.com/sxP9Bjk.jpg 

Hmmm.... my Imgur links have stopped working properly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Photogirl said:

@ATM - good comparison, thanks. My 986 has the standard seats like the right hand one in your photo (with the lines of stitching across) and I find those seats really nice. 

I'm going to find, or make, a long shallow pad to go behind me for the Cayman, hopefully it will help because I literally can't drive the thing as it is. 

I'd be doing exactly this.  Making my own pad. 

Or you could just wear a rucksack stuffed with some padding.  But you need a big one that extends down below your waist.

37 minutes ago, edc said:

Just get a taxi spec bead cover with elasticated sides 😂

30 years ago I had a company car which was a Ford Mondeo - the seats were so horrible I had one of those wooden beaded things. It was painful, but in a nice way (if that makes sense). At the end of each day my bare back looked like I'd been in a torture chamber. 😬

Collected new floor mats and front bonnet gas struts from the OPC today. I only needed a driver's side floor mat to replace the old one in which the carpet has worn away under the heels of my feet, but apparently you can only buy replacement mats in pairs, which is expensive and wasteful. You'd think someone would have anticipated they need to make three times as many driver's side mats and sell them separately.

I've just installed the new gas struts. Very satisfying! I've now got rear boot gas struts on order as well.

I've also got the plastic green shifter alignment tool on order as I am still having problems with cable tension in the side-to-side plane, although the shifter itself is much crisper since I replaced the old plastic bearings last month. Now that I've been driving it a bit I suspect I needn't have bothered with the bell-crank yoke. I now understand why Ebay short shifters don't bother with that bit. There is no slack in that part of the OEM mechanism to begin with. In retrospect I might have just used the longitudinal locator bearings off of an ebay kit, which would have given me the option of also reversibly swapping out my original lever for a short-throw one, out of curiosity more than anything else.

When you say bell crank yoke are you referring to the oblong holed white nylon block that sits to the side? Some aftermarket kits provide a shim for that part.

20 minutes ago, edc said:

When you say bell crank yoke are you referring to the oblong holed white nylon block that sits to the side? Some aftermarket kits provide a shim for that part.

Yep, that's the one. The Function First kit I installed replaces that part with one made of metal.

Your roof seals may have collapsed a bit. There are some old posts showing how to use some cord or even plastic drinking straws to plump them up a bit. 

2 hours ago, edc said:

Your roof seals may have collapsed a bit. There are some old posts showing how to use some cord or even plastic drinking straws to plump them up a bit. 

VW specify Krytox to refresh the seal on their folding roofs, it is very effective.  Made a leaky EOS we once bought watertight in one treatment.

Is this a treatment like Gummi pflege? I'm talking about something entirely physical to beef up the seal by putting something in the fold or hollow section. 

It's a hardtop

I've not tackled the adjustable rear mounts but it sounds like this is what needs doing first

Also I believe the front prongs need a rubber boot and need to check mine has them on

Car was never really used before I bought it and never lived outside