What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

My Clarke's tent garage for my 1997 986 is just 3 years old now.  Does a great job and excellent value; I paid less than £300 for mine in 1999.  Like Daboy3000 I use blue polytarp on the ground (tarmac).  The tent is secured down with heavy duty steel ground pegs and ratchet straps and has survived quite a few gales and torrential rain here in Plymouth.  It is waterproof and remains well ventilated so condensation doesn't occur except for an occasional drip from the central ridge pole (steel tube).  If there is any sun the tent warms up very nicely on winter days for servicing and other jobs around the car.  Not sure whether it would take much snow but it only snows about once every 5 years in Plymouth and then only for a slushy hour or two.  It is wearing well and I'm sure has quite a few more years of useful life remaining.  Obviously not as good as a proper garage but if you have the space in the garden to hide a tent like this then it is a satisfactory and cheap solution to protecting an elderly Boxster.  One day I may be able to afford to extend my garage to take 3 cars but for the moment my priority is to keep my 924NA and MGBGTV8 in bricks and mortar!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Coming to a garden near you soon in the next high wind. 😂

That's twice now you have made that joke and it wasn't funny the first time! 

The wind isn't going to touch it, unless there is a hurricane. It's anchored in about 20 points, reinforced with timber and metal rods. 

On 11/9/2021 at 8:11 AM, Daboy3000 said:

For me it will always be in use. Its going in my front garden next to my drive and it will be my permanent garage. Wind permitting. 

10 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

The wind isn't going to touch it, unless there is a hurricane. It's anchored in about 20 points, reinforced with timber and metal rods. 

You weren't so sure the first time. 😂

2 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Ah, like the grown ups who lie in front of motorway traffic? 😂

No they are just old children that seem to think if you stamp your feet and scream you will get your way rather than making practical, reasoned, costed arguments and putting it to public opinion.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 2:49 PM, ½cwt said:

No they are just old children that seem to think if you stamp your feet and scream you will get your way rather than making practical, reasoned, costed arguments and putting it to public opinion.

Seemed to work for some political parties here in N.I.  :(

On 11/24/2021 at 10:27 AM, Daboy3000 said:

Are you familiar with many of his jokes :blink:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, the baron said:

@Daboy3000How is the Clarke’s tent holding up in the gales?

On the south coast just behind the Downs we are a little sheltered from the worst of the storms. Saying that it was still pretty blowy last night. 

I'm pleased to say that this morning it doesn't look phased, it's rock solid. 

15 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Give it a few minutes he’s still hanging onto the guide ropes ☺️

Lol, it doesn't use guide ropes, although I think I might whack a few more ground anchors in for peace of mind. 

21 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

On the south coast just behind the Downs we are a little sheltered from the worst of the storms. Saying that it was still pretty blowy last night. 

Lol, it doesn't use guide ropes, although I think I might whack a few more ground anchors in for peace of mind. 

It’s obviously more sturdy than it looks, glad it survived which must give you encouragement to start adding more home comforts

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

That’s great news that it weathered the storm 👍

Been a busy weekend doing odd jobs.  Waiting for the tent to take off and land me in Oz.

As this car's history is mostly lost I really don't mind getting stuck in to some of the easier jobs but I am far from a mechanic.

One wheel back on after a refresh. Painted the brake calliper, cleaned up wheel arch and painted where it seemed to have a fare bit of overspray, sanded down the rusty shock casing etc. other one in progress.

Couldn't shift the bolts to get the calliper off which is annoying, even bought a small impact driver. I'm pretty sure the discs are past their min at 20mm so I wont to replace them, would have made painting them easier too but I think they came out nice.  Just awaiting the Porsche text on order.
51711880650_0d71f85d1b_c.jpg 51711672899_83901133d7_c.jpg

Got most of the interior restored and back in, just a few bits left to do. Bottom of dash on the passengers side and maybe the armrests on the door card.  It's a lot lighter than I originally planned but I think it looks great.  I should start doing this for a living.

51710215182_5e7dbec352_c.jpg

51711275823_2b60868c20_z.jpg

Don't think this arm is meant to look like this, not sure if it's bent but something has smacked into it leaving a dent, Can someone tell me if it's fine to leave or should be replaced and what is it called?

also driveshaft on same side seems to have some play when i turn it, i'm guessing it should be nice a tight and not knock?

51711277783_c9eb3b5df7_z.jpg

Lastly a little restoration of these skirt/trim things. I should have taken a before pic, but they both were split and scraped up.  Glued, and melted back into shape, filled, sanded and painted. Not perfect but fine for all the way down there and an hours work.  Did think about colour coding them but I'm heading more and more OEM!

51711883130_9f16d752ed_w.jpg 

51711276878_a128c36b28_w.jpg 

51711277148_03b7c10f0c.jpg

• Like 2

@Daboy3000 Rear track control arm.  That should very much be straight with no nicks and dings.  In current state it will be causing toe out at the rear and will be weakened.  I suspect that the eccentric inboard bolt will be corroded into the bush in the inboard end of the arm, so be prepared to cut it out.  It is hardened steel so recip saw, if you have one, and a good blade like a Bosch Sabre.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Daboy3000 Rear track control arm.  That should very much be straight with no nicks and dings.  In current state it will be causing toe out at the rear and will be weakened.  I suspect that the eccentric inboard bolt will be corroded into the bush in the inboard end of the arm, so be prepared to cut it out.  It is hardened steel so recip saw, if you have one, and a good blade like a Bosch Sabre.

Is this it?
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/jp-group/8186792

£45 on the autodoc app today!!

scraped a lot of snow and ice off it this morning to take it into work. not the best morning for a boxster, but wifey needed the other car, so boxster it is.

hardest part of the startup procedure was thawing the window so it would drop and raise correctly when i close the door. but other than that, plain sailing. should be a couple of degrees above freezing by this afternoon, so shouldnt have the same problem coming home again.

14 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

also driveshaft on same side seems to have some play when i turn it, i'm guessing it should be nice a tight and not knock?

Are you certain its the driveshaft that has play and not the backlash in the differential/gearbox?

Edited by charlieboy2608

1 minute ago, charlieboy2608 said:

Are you certain its the driveshaft that has play and not the backlash in the differential/gearbox?

No, I am not certain in the slightest. I've owned a 986 and a 996 before but this is the first time I have torn one down this much LOL.

Does this help?