What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Just rubbed down and sprayed my headlights with the Etech headlights clearcoat. 
Will update lasting performance if and when they start to yellow.

I'll keep an eye on this, did mine some time ago but didn't use a lacquer.  They need another buff up and then UV lacquer spray like this to protect.

What did I do to my 986 today? I cried over it. Having got it back from the bodyshop two weeks ago for getting scratches and scuffs out that other people had done to it, there was another event yesterday. Somebody had put up a shelf in my garage and had then overloaded it. The shelf collapsed overnight onto my car leaving two dents. 

Tomorrow I am taking my dented car to Chilly Willy's in Worthing to get the aircon diagonosed. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'll keep an eye on this, did mine some time ago but didn't use a lacquer.  They need another buff up and then UV lacquer spray like this to protect.

I used Meguiar's metal polish on the Cayman's headlights and a buffer, then a couple of coats of wax. Came up like new. I'll only clear coat them if I'm ever forced into a full on multi-sanding restoration - but with regular maintenance hopefully they won't get to that point. 

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Added some rear speakers, using super_paulie’s excellent kit from eBay, and Alpine 3 1/2” speakers

Hoping it will help a bit, not expecting brilliant quality, but should make mundane journeys a bit easier for Podcasts, etc 

I did mine with my own kit and buying the original Porsche grilles and also changed the dash speakers.  Adding the rear speakers definitely improved to sound from abysmal front only to at least all around but still far from excellent, teh main missing component in the soundscape is bass.  Then again a Boxster is a convertible and cars generally are pretty hostile audio environments at the best of times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I did mine with my own kit and buying the original Porsche grilles and also changed the dash speakers.  Adding the rear speakers definitely improved to sound from abysmal front only to at least all around but still far from excellent, teh main missing component in the soundscape is bass.  Then again a Boxster is a convertible and cars generally are pretty hostile audio environments at the best of times.

Completely agree.

Important to manage your own expectations!

My car has hifi, so the amp, component fronts. Ideally I’d add new, better quality separate 13cm woofers, 10cm dash & tweeters, but I’m trying not to get carried away. I was happy enough with it, but struggled to hear spoken word, lyrics at speed, I just want that to be better.

The seats totally blocking the rears won’t help!

Edited by RalphyBMW

Drove in the dark for the first time since changing my D2S litronic bulbs to new ones.  No complaints, but as it was April I when I swapped them I can't really recall whether much the same or a notable improvement.

Also dug out the dehumidifying bags to put in the car now the weather is getting colder and wetter. 

1 hour ago, 999mch said:

Swapped wheels and tyres over as old fronts worn badly, and managed to pick up a good second set a couple of weeks back. Just need to get a 4 wheel alignment done next week. Think the new ones look pretty good

IMG_6628.JPG

Those are the standard Boxster S wheels for the facelift. 

Fitted a new engine mount today, easy enough DIY job which took me about 3 hours, bought new one from my local OPC cost just over £100 for new rubber mount in it’s housing. My 2002 Boxster S has done just over 80K miles and the rubber in the old mount was split in 4 different places and had seen better days so think it was time for a new one.

2 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Fitted a new engine mount today, easy enough DIY job which took me about 3 hours, bought new one from my local OPC cost just over £100 for new rubber mount in it’s housing. My 2002 Boxster S has done just over 80K miles and the rubber in the old mount was split in 4 different places and had seen better days so think it was time for a new one.

I’ve got the Lemforder 987 bushing to fit to mine; mine is 2001/79k so by the sound of it, should be worthwhile.

Any plans for gearbox mounts?

I fitted the Lemforder to mine at about 95k, the old one was split not badly but enough to change. The new one is a different shape to the old one but with a little trimming you can use the two rubbers that are either side. 
my gearbox mounts look ok but I believe you can use the 996 ones which are cheaper with a little trimming. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

I’ve got the Lemforder 987 bushing to fit to mine; mine is 2001/79k so by the sound of it, should be worthwhile.

Any plans for gearbox mounts?

I put my Boxster off the road for the winter and work on it to improve it, so this year I have changed the thermostat and coolant and as well as the engine mount I am going to do the gearbox mounts next. I think any rubber parts should be renewed on 20 year old cars but especially Boxster as  it all helps to make them drive like they should 

• Like 1

911 engine mounts are the same as Boxster gearbox mounts. 

If you have the DIY inclination a gold value approach is to add poly to refurb your existing ones. 

The gearbox mounts aren't rubber but filled with hydraulic fluid. There is only a tiny bit of rubber around the stud. 

Yeah thanks edc I do know that the gearbox mounts are hydraulic, reading my post back I meant to say that when I refurbed the full suspension last year I couldn’t believe how much better the car was to drive with the old rubber parts replaced with new

10 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

Yeah thanks edc I do know that the gearbox mounts are hydraulic, reading my post back I meant to say that when I refurbed the full suspension last year I couldn’t believe how much better the car was to drive with the old rubber parts replaced with new

Yes +1 on that. I have just done all my suspension and shocks now and as you say it’s like a new car. 👌

After a shelf fell off the garage wall and dented Bambi, Kris from www.removethedent.co.uk came out and did a lovely job of completely smoothing out 5 little dings, for a very fair price. Kris covers most of the south east and I would definitely recommend him.

• Like 1