What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

5 hours ago, rowbos said:

Understood.  Still any new car delivery is exciting 😎

Even more tempered enthusiasm now.  Who at BMW thought that a clutch pedal should sit pretty much directly under the centre line of the steering column? And don't blame RHD as there is loads of room to the left of it...  :angry:  Roll on the delivery of the SEAT with a DSG 'box.

Sorry  :offtopic:

• Sad 1

Dropped my Boxster off at the OPC for a full suspension set up after fitting the B12 kit and new suspension arms…

…I loved this car so much before but I love it even more now❤️ Handling is amazing!! And now all the suspension rattles have gone I can start honing in on all the other rattles😂

Picked up my Porsche classic badge while I was there. No idea what I’m going to do with it. Might end up just sticking it to my toolbox.

6 hours ago, 999mch said:

Positive: Fitted new alarm sensor unit and the double beep is gone !😀

Negative: Front tyres are worn on the edges, new tyres and four wheel alignment needed😒

What is this sensor you're mentioning and where it is located? I get the double beep occasionally on my 2001 car and have swapped / measured buch of microswitches with no luck on stopping the double beep.

12 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

What is this sensor you're mentioning and where it is located? I get the double beep occasionally on my 2001 car and have swapped / measured buch of microswitches with no luck on stopping the double beep.

This is the sensor in the roof that houses the light. I got mine from Steve at Douglas Valley, who rang me up to check I had ordered the correct one as apparently you can have one or two microswitches in them. Apparently another common cause of double beeps is the door locks.

Hope you get it sorted.

image.png.94864ee853bdcf8f611c70e70864a393.png

• Like 1

A proper Porsche tester will be able to interrogate all the locks/switches on the alarm system and pinpoint which one is not working properly if it is not obvious.

13 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Whereabouts are you ?  There are a few folks around with Porsche diags who could check the system logs to see what is triggering the double chirp ( which is a “system error” rather than a “something open” ) fault. 

3 hours ago, Paul P said:

Whereabouts are you ?  There are a few folks around with Porsche diags who could check the system logs to see what is triggering the double chirp ( which is a “system error” rather than a “something open” ) fault. 

Thank PaulP, I'm in Finland and will porobably take the car to POrche Center here at the fall or spring to see if they can just read why the double beep shows up sometime...

More like what I've been doing all week.  Roof now works, just got to get it tucking in nice at the sides. Crush bar replaced so things can go back on the rear straight.  Carpet now dry but I think the box under the seat is playing up as sometimes when I start the car it locks itself.   It's so nice having a Boxster again, I think it's time to sell my MK1 TT that just lives under a cover so I can spend more money on this!

51430601630_0aeb76088e_c.jpg

51430601660_1b77340abe_c.jpg

51429632061_533ef235bd_c.jpg

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

It's so nice having a Boxster again, I think it's time to sell my MK1 TT that just lives under a cover so I can spend more money on this!

You're just sucking up to us now aren't you :D 

• Haha 2

Busy day.  Got a windscreen chip with small cracks repaired, only noticed it yesterday and booked on line with Auto Windscreens for next weekend, got a call about an hour later, the local centre had two cancellation would I like to drop in today. Yes please!  Cracks around the chip gone and a very small residual mark where they drilled the crack to get the resin in.  Hidden from my view by the rear view mirror so not an issue. 

Before:

Liw8XyG.jpg

After:

LfexrZp.jpg 

Then MOT in the afternoon - Pass, no advisories :thumbsup_still:  Preceded by the mandatory Italian tune up.  (BTW Screen chip would have passed MOT)  Tester said he was impressed by the emissions on a car of this age/mileage still with its original exhaust.

Whilst I was at Kwik Fit getting the MOT I had the front tyres rebalanced, which seems to have removed a slight vibration I was getting at certain speeds based on a quick test drive afterwards.

Time to wash it now may be before the Northampton meet tomorrow, or watch Monza F1 Sprint? 🤔

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Busy day.  Got a windscreen chip with small cracks repaired, only noticed it yesterday and booked on line with Auto Windscreens for next weekend, got a call about an hour later, the local centre had two cancellation would I like to drop in today. Yes please!  Cracks around the chip gone and a very small residual mark where they drilled the crack to get the resin in.  Hidden from my view by the rear view mirror so not an issue. 

Before:

Liw8XyG.jpg

After:

LfexrZp.jpg 

Then MOT in the afternoon - Pass, no advisories :thumbsup_still:  Preceded by the mandatory Italian tune up.  (BTW Screen chip would have passed MOT)  Tester said he was impressed by the emissions on a car of this age/mileage still with its original exhaust.

Whilst I was at Kwik Fit getting the MOT I had the front tyres rebalanced, which seems to have removed a slight vibration I was getting at certain speeds based on a quick test drive afterwards.

Time to wash it now may be before the Northampton meet tomorrow, or watch Monza F1 Sprint? 🤔

Hey Mr cwt where the meet in Northampton tomorrow? More to the point...is anyone invited?

4 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Hey Mr cwt where the meet in Northampton tomorrow? More to the point...is anyone invited?

Check out the meets section, but at the Harvester on Grange Park just off M1 J15 0830 on, breakfast nominally 0915 to 0930 ish.

Over 200 miles done to The Late Brake Show on Tour.

Tightened up the upper hinge on the passenger door, dead easy (8mm spanner + T30)  great result as I’d thought the “clunk” was going to need a new check strap.

Replaced the CC interior temperature sensor; dead easy, but used part so fingers crossed…🤞🏻

A few jobs completed that were on my list.

The drivers door clicked when opening and I was worried it was the hinges, but no, the lower bolt had backed off, so an easy fix.

Oil and filter service, and the first time I got to check out my new magnetic 

“Gold plug” it was all clean and no metal attached and the filter biopsy was perfect.

Then onto more in-depth tinkering, a new OE water pump with thermostat and fresh genuine Porsche fluids, and whilst in there (as they are so close) the front engine/gearbox mount.

New gearbox oil and while fiddling with the gearbox a Porsche short shift gear lever kit.

Very happy to say the car shifts fantastically and it’s now ready for many more miles. (Hope to drive through France via the mountains and on to Italy and Amalfi  next year).

Love it, it just keeps getting better. 👍