What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Changed all spark plugs and replaced the leaking spark plug tubes,  the coil packs were really hard to remove, I think they must have melted a bit where they meet the plugs, or maybe it was just suction,  had to really pull hard to remove them and 2 of them split in half leaving stuck and akward to get at rubber tubes still on the spark plug deep in the socket! 

1 hour ago, joeluth said:

Changed all spark plugs and replaced the leaking spark plug tubes,  the coil packs were really hard to remove, I think they must have melted a bit where they meet the plugs, or maybe it was just suction,  had to really pull hard to remove them and 2 of them split in half leaving stuck and akward to get at rubber tubes still on the spark plug deep in the socket! 

Damn...

My next job is to fit 6 plug tubes.  DIY or send it to a tech? 

1 hour ago, KevM79 said:

Damn...

My next job is to fit 6 plug tubes.  DIY or send it to a tech? 

Hopefully yours will come out easier, I don't think it's normal for them to be so stuck.  I already had the car jacked up and wheels off  so I took the lower rear arch liners off and that gives pretty good access to the coil packs. 

Once you've unscrewed the coil packs, pull them out a bit and if they are fighting you then try rotating them in the socket, that seemed to help getting them to let go. 

In terms of the tubes, remove spark plugs first,  the tubes sit flush and there's no way to get a grip on them from the front, one of them just slid out easy by hand, but the rest of them were stuck,  there's a few methods to removing them,  some have success with a 1" boat plug that expands inside the tube and allows you to pull it out,  I had some old long suspension bolts from another car so I screwed the nut on really tight ( you don't want anything falling off in there!)  and popped it into the tube  you can catch the inner edge of the tube with the nut and pull it out, they all came out pretty easy doing that. 

Edited by joeluth

On 8/4/2021 at 8:03 PM, joeluth said:

Hopefully yours will come out easier, I don't think it's normal for them to be so stuck.  I already had the car jacked up and wheels off  so I took the lower rear arch liners off and that gives pretty good access to the coil packs. 

Once you've unscrewed the coil packs, pull them out a bit and if they are fighting you then try rotating them in the socket, that seemed to help getting them to let go. 

In terms of the tubes, remove spark plugs first,  the tubes sit flush and there's no way to get a grip on them from the front, one of them just slid out easy by hand, but the rest of them were stuck,  there's a few methods to removing them,  some have success with a 1" boat plug that expands inside the tube and allows you to pull it out,  I had some old long suspension bolts from another car so I screwed the nut on really tight ( you don't want anything falling off in there!)  and popped it into the tube  you can catch the inner edge of the tube with the nut and pull it out, they all came out pretty easy doing that. 

We are all isolating this week, so I was saving this job for something to do today for a few hours!

Mine played nice & didn't give up a fight.  I'd say it took 45 mins to do all 6 with the car reversed onto 2 small floor ramps.  No wheels or guards removed.

The tool I used to remove the sleeves, was 'two oily fingers' lol.  Two actually came out with the coils.  The seals were absolutely finished, but surprisingly only weeping oil.

The coils look really fresh, I'd say they were replaced quite recently.

http://imgur.com/a/TqCPntm

Edited by KevM79

Bought a 100ml sample tin on Polytrol for Owatrol on line for £6 earlier this week (picked up the tip off the 987 pages).  Just applied and buffed into the scuttle panels and the small red detail on the bonnet release handle.  All looking a nice consistent black on the scuttle and event the red trim is somewhat less pink.  We'll see how long the finish lasts but for £6 it was wort a punt and now to find something to do with the remaining 97ml, rear wheel arch leading trims look like good candidates.

Product link from @mike597 is here: https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Bought a 100ml sample tin on Polytrol for Owatrol on line for £6 earlier this week (picked up the tip off the 987 pages).  Just applied and buffed into the scuttle panels and the small red detail on the bonnet release handle.  All looking a nice consistent black on the scuttle and event the red trim is somewhat less pink.  We'll see how long the finish lasts but for £6 it was wort a punt and now to find something to do with the remaining 97ml, rear wheel arch leading trims look like good candidates.

Product link from @mike597 is here: https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol

Good stuff & easy to apply. I bought a big tin of it - a lifetime supply. It works very well & last about 6 months.

changed the frunk struts that had caused the bonnet to keep hitting me on the bonce. A ridiculously easy, but very satisfying, little job.

Edited by Billzeebub
  • Like 1

Not actually me, but a neighbour of my mother's backed into the Boxster this afternoon.  I'm thinking this won't polish out. ☹️

Slight bit of good fortune it it has only affected the plastic and the light and metal are undamaged, plus there was a small split 15mm long in the PU just under the light that was on my list for an eventual repair and respray.  Guess it just moved up the list at someone else's expense and I hope we can save the PU in which case we will settle between us rather than on insurance.

XhvWTtV.jpg 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not actually me, but a neighbour of my mother's backed into the Boxster this afternoon.  I'm thinking this won't polish out. ☹️

Slight bit of good fortune it it has only affected the plastic and the light and metal are undamaged, plus there was a small split 15mm long in the PU just under the light that was on my list for an eventual repair and respray.  Guess it just moved up the list at someone else's expense and I hope we can save the PU in which case we will settle between us rather than on insurance.

XhvWTtV.jpg 

Sorry to see:( At least, all damage is on the bumper. I hope that it is an easy fix with a heating gun to restore the shape and respray it.

I'd prefer at least a second hand bumper and a respray. Check the fixings as they may be broken too. 

51 minutes ago, edc said:

I'd prefer at least a second hand bumper and a respray. Check the fixings as they may be broken too. 

Yep, looking at repair and second hand replacement options. It will need painting either way.

Taking it round to Paint FX in Kettering for advice in the morning.

Edited by ½cwt

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

XhvWTtV.jpg 

This happened to me, I used a hairdryer and some touch up paint, it passes from a few feet away but will get it resprayed at some point

before 

aLDzUev.jpg

after

VQsy9bL.jpg

Before anyone picks me up on the weeds, they are gone and the drive has new gravel 😂

Edited by the baron

47 minutes ago, the baron said:

This happened to me, I used a hairdryer and some touch up paint, it passes from a few feet away but will get it resprayed at some point

before 

aLDzUev.jpg

after

VQsy9bL.jpg

Before anyone picks me up on the weeds, they are gone and the drive has new gravel 😂

Yes, I remember you posting this Steve and I'm hoping for a similar result, mine will need paint straight away though alas.

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

XhvWTtV.jpg 

I had almost exactly the same dent about 4 years ago when i reversed in to a wooden post. I also cracked the recess where the number plate sits. If you don't get any luck with Paint FX, I can recommend Auto Refurb on Round Spinney Ind Estate on the edge of Northampton. They did a brilliant job on my Zenith blue bumper and still looks perfect 4 years on. Cost me about £350 in total.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jonogt6 said:

I had almost exactly the same dent about 4 years ago when i reversed in to a wooden post. I also cracked the recess where the number plate sits. If you don't get any luck with Paint FX, I can recommend Auto Refurb on Round Spinney Ind Estate on the edge of Northampton. They did a brilliant job on my Zenith blue bumper and still looks perfect 4 years on. Cost me about £350 in total.

Paint FX did my front bumper earlier this year (no I hadn't been careless it was a poor colour match and had paint defects from when I bought it to boot), they did just the PU after I stripped it for them and gat as good a colour match as you could wish for when just doing one whole panel.  It will need more work this time as there was already a minor split where they all go in the notch on the top edge under the tail light unit. 🤞

• Like 1

Pretty pumped. I had done some front suspension work earlier this year and maxed out the front camber, set the toe myself. It drives awesome, tracks straight but thought I should at least double check. I had no idea what was going on with the rear since I bought it, but wear was good. Took it in for a geo today and the numbers were spot on. They let me go for free!

Now I know I can do it myself from here on out, not that there should be much changing anyway.

Can’t wait for my next track day in November 

• Like 1

If you're still keen to experiment and get more neg camber then you can get just a little over half a deg more by widening the camber slot by about 5mm. 

15 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Paint FX did my front bumper earlier this year (no I hadn't been careless it was a poor colour match and had paint defects from when I bought it to boot), they did just the PU after I stripped it for them and gat as good a colour match as you could wish for when just doing one whole panel.  It will need more work this time as there was already a minor split where they all go in the notch on the top edge under the tail light unit. 🤞

I'm impressed. Based on me stripping and supplying the bumper to them off the car, £278 Inc VAT!

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'm impressed. Based on me stripping and supplying the bumper to them off the car, £278 Inc VAT!

I would proceed with caution, most good body shops would recommend spraying in part of the surrounding panels to enable a good blend as you will never get an exact match with just spraying one panel, there will always be a colour variation.

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

I would proceed with caution, most good body shops would recommend spraying in part of the surrounding panels to enable a good blend as you will never get an exact match with just spraying one panel, there will always be a colour variation.

I understand. Same place did my front bumper earlier this year with virtually imperceptible difference.  I gave them an engine intake moulding for colour matching which seemed to be successful.  With the number of panel joins around the rear bumper it is a risk I am happy to take again.

19 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I understand. Same place did my front bumper earlier this year with virtually imperceptible difference.  I gave them an engine intake moulding for colour matching which seemed to be successful.  With the number of panel joins around the rear bumper it is a risk I am happy to take again.

Sure it will be fine, but knowing your level of OCD just wanted to point it out 😂