What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Sure it will be fine, but knowing your level of OCD just wanted to point it out 😂

OCD, who me? Well I was happy with this result on the front:

01GIblK.jpg In certain light at certain angles you can just tell, oh, there's the OCD.

So all this talk of painting bumpers, along with Covid boredom, and I decided to paint a nasty 7-8inch crack that was right above the front number plate from before I got the car....

CVJo2SO.jpg

The result was fairly good!

KzsaIBV.jpg

Though, the eagle-eyed among you will have noticed this....

iVrMkcW.jpg

So, my newly freshened up bumper, is here....

9ZS7alq.jpg

The bottom of the driver's side rad, is finished.

Is it difficult to change?  I'm not looking forward to it to be honest ☹️

Edited by KevM79

Nice work Kev. I've got the exact same "crack" on mine, but mine is lapis blue so is a bit more in your face. I had it repaired last year but I sadly bounced the front parking once 🤦🏼‍♂️ and sure enough it reappeared. Do you do your own spray work?

13 minutes ago, SuperPaulie said:

Nice work Kev. I've got the exact same "crack" on mine, but mine is lapis blue so is a bit more in your face. I had it repaired last year but I sadly bounced the front parking once 🤦🏼‍♂️ and sure enough it reappeared. Do you do your own spray work?

I only started during Lockdown mk1.  I work in a dealership, so always plenty to tidy up & practice on.  

Id love to do it full-time at some point.

I have ordered a radiator about 20 minutes ago, so should have it in for next weekend hopefully

Mine had a crack like that before the front got painted courtesy of the previous owner, just took me 2 and a bit years to get it painted...

Having a bad time with paint, just noticed I scuffed the edge of the left rear rim some time... so much for rim protector tyres.

10 hours ago, KevM79 said:

So all this talk of painting bumpers, along with Covid boredom, and I decided to paint a nasty 7-8inch crack that was right above the front number plate from before I got the car....

CVJo2SO.jpg

The result was fairly good!

KzsaIBV.jpg

Though, the eagle-eyed among you will have noticed this....

iVrMkcW.jpg

So, my newly freshened up bumper, is here....

9ZS7alq.jpg

To be honest if one has gone the other is not far behind. All the hassle of draining and re filling I’d do both rads at the same time. I used coolpartsuk of ebay and they were cheap and good quality. 

12 hours ago, KevM79 said:

Just checking, rad or air con condenser.  An R plate may not have air con I appreciate, and could well have a rotten rad too.  Either way do them in pairs.  You may well find that the support frame needs to come out for a good wire brushing and a repaint as well.

I have ordered one coolant radiator, I think it was coolparts I ordered from. 

I have Climate control and will clean the AC rads when I get the cowls off later. 

The passenger side looks perfect, but we'll see.

I have ordered some black mesh for behind the intake grills too

Edited by KevM79

I cut the mesh for behind the grills to try and keep the radiators a bit cleaner from now on.

& I fixed the settings on the Amp too.  I couldn't hear the radio at anything above 20mph before.  It sounds infinitely better now! 

4Qw83Fi.jpg

6CscV1h.jpg

Not just today but maybe over the last week. Compounded, polished, waxed. Wheels off to clean, the works. And today a quick snow foam. Wanted it all machine cleaned as it throws polish all over and tomorrow I get my new roof installed, something I've wanted since day 1. 

Love it. This is the BAS roof. A few minor winkles at the front corner which the installer told me will drop out/stretch in the next 10 days. Fingers crossed on that one, but overall I love it. No more scratched to cr*p plastic or getting out to do the chop.

Nk7nfzM.jpg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SuperPaulie said:

Love it. This is the BAS roof. A few minor winkles at the front corner which the installer told me will drop out/stretch in the next 10 days. Fingers crossed on that one, but overall I love it. No more scratched to cr*p plastic or getting out to do the chop.

Nk7nfzM.jpg

Looks excellent.

What's access to the top of the engine bay like with the glass rather than plastic screen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Looks excellent.

What's access to the top of the engine bay like with the glass rather than plastic screen?

Haven't tried yet as the fitter said leave it down for 10 days. In fairness, I've only ever been on the top of the engine once since I've owned it, to clean out the throttle body. I'll check it out next week though, but it looks the bomb (in my opinion).

20 hours ago, Pordave said:

I have the same hood and it’s great, however engine access is limited unless you start detaching joints.

it changes the whole look if the car from the rear and I don’t find vision particularly restricted.

Dave

I have a similar roof, agreed access is more restricted however if you tuck the glass up and over the roll bars behind the seat and use a support stick to hold the roof up access is fine, I have removed throttle bodies and got down quite deep into the engine bay. The convenience of having a heated glass window is immense and can confirm that it does not restrict rear view vision in any way 

Fitted replacement right hand screen washer jet unit (second hand from Status Porsche £16), simply can't clear the old one....  Whilst taking the scuttle covers off I found both the rubber grommet nuts had perished, got 2 new ones from Silverstone Porsche yesterday and two new half turn fittings for the battery cover, about £10 all in and a nice chat with Jordan from the parts department.

Also refitted a speaker grille in the rear storage box that had popped out and reattached one of the roof lining elastic straps that had popped off.

One useful observation I made was when refitting the skirt on the hood after having it in the service position, which is to make sure the U channel along the bottom that fits on to the two plastic clips over hangs both of the foam liners for the drains, otherwise you could let water run down the rear bulkhead unchecked but still find you have clear drains.  Got to protect those alarm units!

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Fitted replacement right hand screen washer jet unit (second hand from Status Porsche £16), simply can't clear the old one....  Whilst taking the scuttle covers off I found both the rubber grommet nuts had perished, got 2 new ones from Silverstone Porsche yesterday and two new half turn fittings for the battery cover, about £10 all in and a nice chat with Jordan from the parts department.

Also refitted a speaker grille in the rear storage box that had popped out and reattached one of the roof lining elastic straps that had popped off.

One useful observation I made was when refitting the skirt on the hood after having it in the service position, which is to make sure the U channel along the bottom that fits on to the two plastic clips over hangs both of the foam liners for the drains, otherwise you could let water run down the rear bulkhead unchecked but still find you have clear drains.  Got to protect those alarm units!

I wonder would a quick ultrasonic bath clear it 🤔

Okay, both sides cleaned out.  Total mess! 

The passenger side radiator looks fairly new, & I replaced the leaking Driver's side tonight.

Not that difficult a job, the instructions made it sound worse than it turned out to be.  I will bring some coolant home tomorrow and get it topped up, checked for leaks & bled.  Then I'll try and put it all back together again.... 

ysnznME.jpg

41 minutes ago, KevM79 said:

Okay, both sides cleaned out.  Total mess! 

The passenger side radiator looks fairly new, & I replaced the leaking Driver's side tonight.

Not that difficult a job, the instructions made it sound worse than it turned out to be.  I will bring some coolant home tomorrow and get it topped up, checked for leaks & bled.  Then I'll try and put it all back together again.... 

ysnznME.jpg

Time for some grille mesh!!!

Today I started to prop up my indicator stalk like a drunk friend when making right turns. Seems like the common issue has raised its head here and I’ve started googling solutions.  

Not sure whether to make this my first repair on the car or take it to Lee and ask if he’ll sort - anyone had any decent results from a recent indicator stalk fix?