What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Was meant to have a new windscreen fitted, but autoglass turned up without the correct trim. Said he could fit a "universal trim" which I politely declined. Annoyed as I took all the panels, wipers, scuttle etc off in preparation which I then had to put back on... Plus it was cold outside.

I finished up fitting all this lot today…

zr3d4cl.jpg

Bilstien B12 kit and new suspension arms. It was all pretty straight forward. I only had to cut 1 bolt on the rear suspension.

It’s probably only sitting about 10mm to 15mm lower than before but this is maybe because it needs a bit more time to settle (it’s only just come off the ramp in the pics) or because my old springs were a bit shagged to start with. I haven’t been out on the road with it yet as I need to find somewhere decent to get the suspension set up but it definitely feels a hell of a lot firmer just doing a bounce test on her.

Before: oKHskB4.jpg

After:

mWPvU7i.jpg

It doesn’t look much of a drop and I’ll be quite happy if it doesn’t drop any more than what it has…but I’ll also be happy if it does drop another 10mm over time😂

Edited by Kev Ush
  • Like 4

@Kev Ush that's impressive work in a day.  Not too many seized bolts and drop links I take it or at least you went straight in with heat or heavy tools as soon as there was a level of resistance.

Sits nicely, hope the ride is not too firm or jiggly.

On 8/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, ATM said:

Fitted 987 seats. These were from a Cayman and are half suede. 

Wow

Wow

Wow

Total transformation. Best thing I have ever done to a car. 

20210822-164714.jpg

Did they need much fettling to swap out? This is an upgrade I’m looking to do when I find the right colour set, Boxster red.

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

@Kev Ush that's impressive work in a day.  Not too many seized bolts and drop links I take it or at least you went straight in with heat or heavy tools as soon as there was a level of resistance.

Sits nicely, hope the ride is not too firm or jiggly.

Luckily I had changed all my drop links out previously when I fitted replacement arb’s (I had to cut 2 of them when I did that). The front didn’t put up much of a fight as someone had fitted a pair of coffin arms before I bought it and had greased up all the bolts.

The OS rear came apart fairly easily….the NS rear was a bastard. I struggled but managed to get the track control arm bolt out but when I got to the coffin arm bolt I just broke out the rip saw…didn’t even bother fighting it.

I hope it isn’t to jiggly either. Eibach springs generally aren’t compared with others. I’ve run them on a couple of M3s I had in the past and they seem to keep the ride quality civilised.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 11:46 PM, the baron said:

Did they need much fettling to swap out? This is an upgrade I’m looking to do when I find the right colour set, Boxster red.

Best advice I read is to remove the Seat Belt Buckle and transfer to the new seat.  Its just a single nut.  Then the cable from this just plugs into the car's loom as before.  So thats what I did.  The passenger seat doesn't have a wire from the Buckle.  So for now thats it.  My seats are bolted in without power to the rake adjustment.  No lights on the dash.   All good.

I'm now also on the lookout for a pair in Boxster Red for my 911.  But I might just use Black because they're that good and I'm not too bothered about the mismatch.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

Best advice I read is to remove the Seat Belt Buckle and transfer to the new seat.  Its just a single nut.  Then the cable from this just plugs into the car's loom as before.  So thats what I did.  The passenger seat doesn't have a wire from the Buckle.  So for now thats it.  My seats are bolted in without power to the rake adjustment.  No lights on the dash.   All good.

I'm now also on the lookout for a pair in Boxster Red for my 911.  But I might just use Black because they're that good and I'm not too bothered about the mismatch.

So how do you adjust for comfort or other drivers?

34 minutes ago, the baron said:

So how do you adjust for comfort or other drivers?

I guess wort case it you need to do some fettling to the wring if the plug for the adjustment motor or even heating is different between 987 and 986 to splice on the correct connector.  Can't see why you wouldn't want the adjustment plugged in, I adjust mine small amount from time to time even without catering for other drivers.

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

.  Can't see why you wouldn't want the adjustment plugged in, I adjust mine small amount from time to time even without catering for other drivers.

Yes me too, always fiddling a bit

Today’s job…new soft top with glass window. Easy enough job just takes a bit of patience.

OGRLA30.jpg

oRyF9dM.jpg

while I was mucking about fitting the new roof I decided to fit a head lining to the interior as my car is an early 2.7 it didn’t come with one and I never liked looking at the mechanism.

szbyoaA.jpg

just makes it a nicer place to be when the roof is up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kev Ush said:

Today’s job…new soft top with glass window. Easy enough job just takes a bit of patience.

OGRLA30.jpg

oRyF9dM.jpg

while I was mucking about fitting the new roof I decided to fit a head lining to the interior as my car is an early 2.7 it didn’t come with one and I never liked looking at the mechanism.

szbyoaA.jpg

just makes it a nicer place to be when the roof is up.

Excellent, I too have an aftermarket roof, where did you get your headliner from and does it impact on the closing of the roof?

The head liner is just from a later model boxster…from a 2001 model. It took some work to get it to fit as the hood frames are a bit different. The older model hood frames don’t have the correct mounts for the head liner at all.

it doesn’t effect the operation of the hood at all but you could only install one if your new roof didn’t have the bit that slides into the rear upper hoop of the frame. My hood is a BAS and didn’t have this so I was able to use that slot to hold the head liner up. I then had to drill 4 holes in the bar that’s below the window to clip in the tails that run down from the head liner.

Edited by Kev Ush
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, Kev Ush said:

The head liner is just from a later model boxster…from a 2001 model. It took some work to get it to fit as the hood frames are a bit different. The older model hood frames don’t have the correct mounts for the head liner at all.

it doesn’t effect the operation of the hood at all but you could only install one if your new roof didn’t have the bit that slides into the rear upper hoop of the frame. My hood is a BAS and didn’t have this so I was able to use that slot to hold the head liner up. I then had to drill 4 holes in the bar that’s below the window to clip in the tails that run down from the head liner.

Does your new hood have a service strap?

My car has an unknown aftermarket glass window roof, but doesn’t have one, just being nosey really.

Getting in early today. Waiting for my new company car to be delivered so I got out the Polytrol I bought a few weeks ago and having done the scuttle mouldings under the windscreen then I've done the mirror mouldings on to the doors, the mouldings under the front bumper and the rear wheel arch leading edge mouldings.  Seems to be a bit less effective on the more flexible plastics than the hard plastics especially if they already have some wear and tear/gravel rash, but still tidies things up a bit.

Scuttle still looking black, not grey:

DSoX0AE.jpg 

Mirrors before:

3jgRqaF.jpg 

and after:

Pug8L7K.jpg 

Rear arch trims before:

DYNk6SV.jpg 

and after:

KZYMIfc.jpg 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Anything exciting?  😬

Interim hire car for my new job, BMW 118, so alas, no. 😐 

Again, not exciting but I do have a new version of the SEAT listed in My Ride on order.  Just a tool for doing a job, the excitement/fun is the Boxster or Mrs ½cwt's Golf cabrio at other times. 

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Interim hire car for my new job, BMW 118, so alas, no. 😐 

Again, not exciting but I do have a new version of the SEAT listed in My Ride on order.  Just a tool for doing a job, the excitement/fun is the Boxster or Mrs ½cwt's Golf cabrio at other times. 

Understood.  Still any new car delivery is exciting 😎

7 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Understood.  Still any new car delivery is exciting 😎

True, and you can't beat that new car smell and only double digits on the odometer for a short time.

• Like 1