What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Bought a salvage heat trim for the rear bumper above the exhaust tips from 9apart (thanks for the help Simon) as the muppet who fixed it before for a previous owner obviously couldn't get the rivets to pull up on the plastic (you need a washer on the reverse for the rivet to grip) so just drilled two new holes for self tappers in the original... :rolleyes_anim:

Edited by ½cwt

On 9/27/2021 at 10:56 PM, edc said:

I bet 90% of their customers are one time never to return purchasers. 

Another strategy might be for them to give you a cashback code so for example if 5 referrals buy using your code or link you get say 10% back. This way they drive new sales at a higher price. 

Yes, I agree. I prefer cheaper prices instead of loyalty cards/referrals.

I got the roof off thanks to my wife, cleaned all the area. I checked the drains first time, and they are clean. I even had a look with borescope. Now the old roof sits in the kitchen, she is not happy, got to finish it soon :)

I started cleaning the engine bay, then I will install the facelifted roof on probably in the middle of the night.

6 hours ago, Boxsum said:

Fitted these to the roof mechanism as others were looking a little worn.
p4HCCE5.jpg

What are they and whereabouts do they go?

50 minutes ago, edc said:

What are they and whereabouts do they go?

There the rubber washers that go on the other end of the roof operating rods with the red ball sockets where they bolt onto the v-lever. Mine were quite worn resulting in a fair amount of play. (If that makes any sense)

11 minutes ago, Boxsum said:

There the rubber washers that go on the other end of the roof operating rods with the red ball sockets where they bolt onto the v-lever. Mine were quite worn resulting in a fair amount of play. (If that makes any sense)

I need to do these, one of mine looks in a bad way; they’ll be on the next OPC parts order.

How tricky?

19 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

I need to do these, one of mine looks in a bad way; they’ll be on the next OPC parts order.

How tricky?

Very easy!  I was advised to apply a little silicon grease to them and do them one at a time so one side was always supported. Also to put a rag in the drain hole while I done it just incase I dropped anything 😬

• Thanks 1

Couple of minor jobs on mine yesterday, nothing at all exciting;

Autoglym Glass Polish on the windscreen in the hope of curing wiper judder

Swapped over one of the stereo side button trims for one with an integrated USB socket. I’ve got a hidden USB plug under the stereo to power the MagSafe charger, with a spare USB A socket, and using this trim gives me access. This also avoids having a second USB adapter always on in the cigar lighter outlet.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Couple of minor jobs on mine yesterday, nothing at all exciting;

Autoglym Glass Polish on the windscreen in the hope of curing wiper judder

Swapped over one of the stereo side button trims for one with an integrated USB socket. I’ve got a hidden USB plug under the stereo to power the MagSafe charger, with a spare USB A socket, and using this trim gives me access. This also avoids having a second USB adapter always on in the cigar lighter outlet.

I was thinking to integrate an USB to one of dead switches near radio but where did you put it under stereo? 

I did a refuelling at 6am in the morning, somehow it was kind of busy. Finished cleaning the engine area. Then waited for sun to install facelift roof,also sold the pre-facelift one. Removing the roof so easy but installing took 2.5 hours to install facelift one, there are less space near brackets. It took some time to figure out how to hold the roof in service mode. Took a test drive with roof up/down, no issues. It is much more quieter than I thought,really happy with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, femreg said:

I was thinking to integrate an USB to one of dead switches near radio but where did you put it under stereo? 

Sorry, poor explanation; I needed a USB C source for the MagSafe charger, so added an additional outlet with an Anker USB adapter, and as it doesn’t need to be accessible I have stashed it in the void directly below the head unit; you must remove head unit to access. That has a spare USB A socket which is now hooked up to a USB A socket where the variable wiper switch would be.

Needs pics to explain better!

• Thanks 1

Dropped by Silverstone Porsche to pick up a few Porsche specific fixings to replace damaged or corroded ones to refit my rear bumper PU once I get it back from PaintFX in Kettering later this week.  Also received the a salvage heat trim for the rear bumper from 9apart. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, femreg said:

I did a refuelling at 6am in the morning, somehow it was kind of busy. 

Yeah

I think there is some form of mini crisis due to fuel shortages around the UK. Its big news. Don't know how you missed it but now you know.

My front number plate plinth was damaged, so I went for a stick on/vinyl type plate. I’d fitted it in such a way that it covered the holes, but I was never entirely happy with it.

Today I removed my stick on front number plate (hair dryer & tardis) and fitted a new plinth & a proper plate. Tried a Porsche Classic plinth but managed to break a clip opening it up, didn’t seem to like the curve of the front so I’ve ditched it there; works better on the rear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Yeah

I think there is some form of mini crisis due to fuel shortages around the UK. Its big news. Don't know how you missed it but now you know.

sorry for not being fully clear, I am well aware of it. Daily car had around 10 miles range, because there were no diesel in my area, and I had to attend a wedding(40miles away)with 80 miles range Boxster, so I had to drive like I am competing in a shell eco marathon on last Saturday like 28-30mpg average and using braking for stopping only. It was painful, so I set the alarm to 5.30, I was just surprised to see so many cars that early, so I ended topping up all the cars including our guests, because everyone had the lights on. 4 cars in the morning, finished all by 7.30am : )

Edited by femreg

11 minutes ago, femreg said:

sorry for not being fully clear, I am well aware of it. Daily car had around 10 miles range, because there were no diesel in my area, and I had to attend a wedding(40miles away)with 80 miles range Boxster, so I had to drive like I am competing in a shell eco marathon on last Saturday like 28-30mpg average and using braking for stopping only. It was painful, so I set the alarm to 5.30, I was just surprised to see so many cars that early, so I ended topping up all the cars including our guests, because everyone had the lights on. 4 cars in the morning, finished all by 7.30am : )

Are you some sort of parking concierge or did you steal their keys out the fruit bowl 😂

32 minutes ago, edc said:

Are you some sort of parking concierge or did you steal their keys out the fruit bowl 😂

Yes, my weekend occupation is fuel concierge : ) It could be good business in these days. Is following logo good enough :)m2G3lH3.jpg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, femreg said:

I was not well aware of it weekend before last when I went to London - 200 mile drive for me.  Set off on the Thursday night with a full tank of Premium Tesco 99. The gauge was on a quarter I think when I left London Sunday morning for the 200 mile trip back.  Saw lots of garages in London area either closed or with massive queues.  I thought I'll just get some seriously over priced fuel at the motorway services but no there where also over run or empty.  In the end I got off the motorway in a slightly less densely populated area and just headed for the nearest Tesco, which I often do as I have a fetish for Tesco 99.  Luckily the Tesco I found was not that busy and it had all grades of fuel so I brimmed my tank and got on my way.

It can be rather stressful when you know you dont have enough fuel to get the car home.

20210926-134220.jpg

• Like 1

Started to give the Boxster a pre MOT check, I replaced all the rear suspension last year so I wasn’t expecting much to do. 😳

The front coffin arm bushes looked rough although no movement per say. The tuning fork rubbers looked a bit perished and there was a split in the steering ball joint, and I noticed one bump stop perished. 
So I ordered a complete set of front suspension from Spyder performance and set about striping the old stuff out. 
The caliper bolts came out with a lot of resistance except one which snapped. 
I tried everything to get it out, heat etc ended up drilling it out and chasing the thread. 
I soon found out both front springs were cracked and when I tried to remove the nut on the damper it was seized solid, my impact gun wouldn’t shift it. 
So new dampers and springs from Heritage parts and a new set of top mounts and bearings from Spyder.
whilst it was all out I dropped the front subframe and replaced the brake pipe so just the rear over gearbox left to do….. another day perhaps. 
Total cost £700

MbkaAtR.jpg

OvGoOGQ.jpg
U6edEtz.jpg

Edited by Halfordwill
  • Like 3