What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Ordered this, now the weather can't stop me!!

Clarke CIG81015 Heavy Duty Instant Garage / Workshop - Green (4.5 x 3 x 2.4m)
clarke-cig81015-heavy-duty-instant-garag

Hmmm...🤔  Only question is where to keep in when it isn't in use.

Well as the car is now SORN I decided to reproof the roof

20mins, spray can of Fabsil

I used some old bath towels to keep overspray off the paintwork 

Easiest job for a while

Cost £9.99 for a large spray can with a quarter left over.

5 minutes ago, S14 said:

Fitted a Smarttop relay today.

Just need some decent weather now to try it out.

Smart top is ideal for when the weather is changeable from decent to cr*p! 

decided to bin the wheel bolt covers. and the locking wheel bolts. way more faff than they are worth. just bought twenty covers, and immediately mullered one trying to get it off again, which then got stuck in my wheel wrench since the crappy plastic cover removers did nothing.

just ordered a set of 20 zinc coated bolts, no lockers. looking forward to simplicity again.

if anyone wants to pinch my 20 year old 17" wheels which now have no locking key, i'm based in leamington spa. not that the lockers would have stopped anyone anyway.

• Haha 2

Few little bits on the car today;

A month or so ago I swapped the outer vents for some with mounts for the cup holders; bought new cup holders and have now discovered just how limited their use is (short cups only, too close to the A pillar).

Noticed a rubber bush on the hood mechanism was properly goosed, so replaced that.

Also added some GT3 brake ducts, they were super cheap but I’m hoping may help with pad temps if I take it on track.

E5CAAE93-9E7A-44C1-BC42-E3DC8375DF00.jpeg

4B0E67D7-9568-4C96-B917-AE3B6BD743DA.jpeg

F3E41E8E-9B9B-4F6D-AC93-08DBFDFFD88F.jpeg

I did also take it for a spin; my mothers car had broken down on Thursday so while her Fabia went to a garage on a truck, I loaned her the Boxster and had to pick it up this morning.

50 miles or so with the top down, just over 1/2 that on the M1 though, which under grey Yorkshire skies was starting to get a bit chilly! Sun was out when I set off, which was obviously wonderful.

Now that she’s driven it, mum wants to buy it from me more than ever, but I’m not bored of it yet!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Few little bits on the car today;

A month or so ago I swapped the outer vents for some with mounts for the cup holders; bought new cup holders and have now discovered just how limited their use is (short cups only, too close to the A pillar).

Noticed a rubber bush on the hood mechanism was properly goosed, so replaced that.

Also added some GT3 brake ducts, they were super cheap but I’m hoping may help with pad temps if I take it on track.

E5CAAE93-9E7A-44C1-BC42-E3DC8375DF00.jpeg

4B0E67D7-9568-4C96-B917-AE3B6BD743DA.jpeg

F3E41E8E-9B9B-4F6D-AC93-08DBFDFFD88F.jpeg

Could you help me with, what is the part number on the Left side GT3 brake duct? I can't see it fully on the image and looks like there might be some difference besides the last digits 91 vs. 92.

1 hour ago, pacificjuha said:

Could you help me with, what is the part number on the Left side GT3 brake duct? I can't see it fully on the image and looks like there might be some difference besides the last digits 91 vs. 92.

These are the part numbers that I ordered;

Does that help?

Finished on site early today (great what a difference a bit of forward planning makes), so decided to fit the two TRW rear tuning forks I recently purchased from Autodoc.  2 hours start to finish including getting tools out and putting away.  Just needs a test drive tomorrow.

All the suspension is now done!!!!!  😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And a few pics as they are rarely shown in the write ups and videos as it is damned difficult to get a clear shot of them:

View along the arm from the coffin arm looking forwards

r5ZJNhC.jpg

Front bolt views - looked like new when I took it out.  There is a perfect space between the various hoses on both sides to get on the bolts (18mm socket)

9vUkpb3.jpg 

AcSSkHd.jpg 

New arm on passenger side

RayvFJK.jpg 

• Like 2

On 11/12/2021 at 3:47 PM, brillomaster said:

decided to bin the wheel bolt covers. and the locking wheel bolts. way more faff than they are worth. just bought twenty covers, and immediately mullered one trying to get it off again, which then got stuck in my wheel wrench since the crappy plastic cover removers did nothing.

just ordered a set of 20 zinc coated bolts, no lockers. looking forward to simplicity again.

if anyone wants to pinch my 20 year old 17" wheels which now have no locking key, i'm based in leamington spa. not that the lockers would have stopped anyone anyway.

I binned the lockers ages ago. Kept the plastic over covers.A dab of chain lube inside the covers makes popping them off easy. I use long nosed pliers and removal is simple.

I threw the silly provided tool away as it is rubbish 

20 hours ago, stevemag said:

I binned the lockers ages ago. Kept the plastic over covers.A dab of chain lube inside the covers makes popping them off easy. I use long nosed pliers and removal is simple.

I threw the silly provided tool away as it is rubbish 

thanks for the advice, long nose pliers did make getting the covers off possible, although it still wasnt easy. most were ruined in the removal process. Though, i do wonder if they were easy to remove, would they just fall off all the time?

anyways, they're all off now and in the bin. new bolts arrived ready to go on in their place. then once they're on, the old bolts and lockers can go in a box in the garage.

On 11/15/2021 at 5:27 PM, ½cwt said:

Finished on site early today (great what a difference a bit of forward planning makes), so decided to fit the two TRW rear tuning forks I recently purchased from Autodoc.  2 hours start to finish including getting tools out and putting away.  Just needs a test drive tomorrow.

All the suspension is now done!!!!!  😀

Test drive safely completed, about 50 miles this afternoon with the hood up to check for any noises.  I can report that fresh Boxster suspension makes no noises at all over any road surface rough or smooth.  All you can hear is tyre roar, tyre bump/thump over pock marks and cats eyes, engine noise 😉, wind noise and the occasional scuttle shake and hood creak.

For those that have not done it, budget for it and plan it.  It will transform the refinement and surefootedness of your Boxster and pay you back in more smiles and enjoyment than the £££ you spend on it.  It might even add a few ££ to the value.

Total parts bill for all arms, all shocks, all top mounts, all bump stops, all drop links, front springs (one was broken) and all eccentric bolts is about £1500 if you mix OE and good buys like Spyder Performance and Koni.  If DIY that is it, except for a good recip saw blade and lot to of time, blood sweat and tears.  If going to an indy, about that in labour on top too!  Thankfully I was DIY on my drive with only a trolley jack and axle stands.

• Like 1

Either wasted a few pennies or got a bargain... Noticed a few gt3 front brake ducts on ebay , which apparently aids cooling for  the brake discs, seem to be listed for anything up to £60, Genuine are around £50 a set  had a quick look on design911 and there less than a tenner a set   , got to be a pricing error , but the've been dispatched and due tomorrow, research shows they fit 986 & 987 boxsters

https://www.design911.com/Porsche-997-Brake-Duct-Air-Scoop-99734148392-99734148492/prod128126/?source=doofinder