What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Looks like when you grab the disc the driveshaft does not move by the same amount so I'd guess your diagnosis is right.

Could be driveshaft splines though I'm no expert-I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will be along shortly 🙂

I'm still thinking backlash in the diff/gearbox......

Edited by charlieboy2608

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Is this it?
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/jp-group/8186792

£45 on the autodoc app today!!

Check it is Porsche part number 996 331 045 06 or a superseded version of that.  It is the same part through the life of the 986 according to the parts catalogue and putting my reg number in Autodoc doesn't bring up that part.  Also check Spyder Performance as a good UK based after market source.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tony Daniel said:

I've not seen one of those for years, will it fit over your hardtop and speedhumps🤔

Speed humps means roof down. Not sure I want anything on the roof rack with roof down. But hardtop yes. I've seen some Google Images with the hardtop and RTS in situ.

I bought it on a whim so not sure I'll ever use it but you never know right.

I think it will look cool with a kids bike and dad's bike on top.

igigAKv.jpg
cqiOMWf.jpg

986 RTS with ski clips. As seen on a forum car. 
Will be refitting it and the hardtop for Winter duties in the next week or so. 
Incidentally it passed its MOT yesterday - even with 3.7 litres and re-profiled cams it still meets emissions regs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, map said:

igigAKv.jpg
cqiOMWf.jpg

986 RTS with ski clips. As seen on a forum car. 
Will be refitting it and the hardtop for Winter duties in the next week or so. 
Incidentally it passed its MOT yesterday - even with 3.7 litres and re-profiled cams it still meets emissions regs. 

Interesting.....

Do you have a thread on here detailing these mods and what not?

2 hours ago, ATM said:

Interesting.....

Do you have a thread on here detailing these mods and what not?

Not as such - it’s heavily tweaked and the changes are ongoing.
Current setup is 3.7 motor, re-profiled cams, small intake (74mm), lighter (-8kg) rotating/reciprocating crank assembly (pistons- flywheel), custom long manifold exhaust system. With an interim map gives a useful 326bhp at the crank. Torque biasing diff, custom coilovers and chassis setup with better brake cooling, fluid and pads.

Future developments include large intake (minimum 82mm) from in-wing filter to new plenum plus a remap and on road mapping for drivability - hopefully see an up tick on both torque and bhp. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

@map looks like a healthy serving of negative camber on the front, must be -2.5 or more?

Not entirely sure - it has been tweaked recently and it’s “pointier” than it was. 

• Like 1

Took it over to Dove House in Rushden for an oil service and inspection, comments on brake line corrosion (I have a cunfier pipe kit to do replacements already), corrosion starting to build up on inner face of discs, exhaust flange bolts heavily corroded and rear under try missing (in shed having a crack repaired).  Noting too unusual for a 21 year old 100+k mile Boxster.

Added bonus that I found V Power at the Shell just down the road at 'only' 156.9p/l.

The inner rear discs seem to pick up corrosion I took mine off used a wire brush in the drill.
Drilled out the holes and used brake pad paint on the exposed faces to protect them. 
nesrside pipes are easy to replace. 
Front needs the subframe out and you probably know the rear needs the gearbox out. 

Edited by Halfordwill

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

The inner rear discs seem to pick up corrosion I took mine off used a wire brush in the drill.
Drilled out the holes and used brake pad paint on the exposed faces to protect them. 
nesrside pipes are easy to replace. 
Front needs the subframe out and you probably know the rear needs the gearbox out. 

The comments are on the front to rear and the pipes connecting the flexi hoses to calipers, so all accessible but I will inspect the others.  You can put a joint in the rear line to make life easier or I ahve seen a video feeding the straight pipe in and bending it up as you go from each wheel arch once it has passed over the gear box.  We'll see when I get to it probably in the Spring, and I will paint the calipers at the same time.

The front isn’t as bad as it sounds if you combine it with front suspension work. 
The best tip I had was to crack open a bleed nipple depress the brake pedal and hold it there with a piece of wood and then you can work all day on your brake pipes without loosing any fluid from the reservoir. 
The near side to backs are otherwise quite an easy job. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

The front isn’t as bad as it sounds if you combine it with front suspension work. 
The best tip I had was to crack open a bleed nipple depress the brake pedal and hold it there with a piece of wood and then you can work all day on your brake pipes without loosing any fluid from the reservoir. 
The near side to backs are otherwise quite an easy job. 

Damn, done ALL the suspension work...

Thanks for the brake pedal tip.  Obvious when you think about it, but I hadn't...

On 12/2/2021 at 12:33 PM, map said:

Not as such - it’s heavily tweaked and the changes are ongoing.
Current setup is 3.7 motor, re-profiled cams, small intake (74mm), lighter (-8kg) rotating/reciprocating crank assembly (pistons- flywheel), custom long manifold exhaust system. With an interim map gives a useful 326bhp at the crank. Torque biasing diff, custom coilovers and chassis setup with better brake cooling, fluid and pads.

Future developments include large intake (minimum 82mm) from in-wing filter to new plenum plus a remap and on road mapping for drivability - hopefully see an up tick on both torque and bhp. 

Not entirely sure - it has been tweaked recently and it’s “pointier” than it was. 

Maps car is the ultimate outlaw, just love what he’s done to it and his plans for the future.

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:45 AM, ½cwt said:

Check it is Porsche part number 996 331 045 06 or a superseded version of that.  It is the same part through the life of the 986 according to the parts catalogue and putting my reg number in Autodoc doesn't bring up that part.  Also check Spyder Performance as a good UK based after market source.

I recently bought one from ebay for £55

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202297117092

• Like 1

Not exactly what I’ve done, but she (the car) passed another MOT today with no advisories👍

She,s spending the night away at the independent, to have the air con union joint repaired, there is a small air con leak by the offside rear wheel.
Also having the underside sprayed with Lanoguard.

1 hour ago, S14 said:

Not exactly what I’ve done, but she (the car) passed another MOT today with no advisories👍

She,s spending the night away at the independent, to have the air con union joint repaired, there is a small air con leak by the offside rear wheel.
Also having the underside sprayed with Lanoguard.

Where are you having the Lanoguard done? I've seen a few ads for this.

MOT time today. Two advisories - Brake pipes covered in grease and exhaust system fixings corroded.

I am pleased. Well done Viola. Still need to get her running properly.

Hi @edc

when I collect the car tomorrow, I will let you know the exact amount.
They have just started offering Lanoguard and they gave me an approximate cost when the car was being serviced by them a couple of months ago.