What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

7 hours ago, ATM said:

It's a hardtop

I've not tackled the adjustable rear mounts but it sounds like this is what needs doing first

Also I believe the front prongs need a rubber boot and need to check mine has them on

Car was never really used before I bought it and never lived outside 

The seal that runs across the top of the windscreen is tightened by the action of the latch when you install the roof. The prongs are just locator pins to stop it moving side to side. If you are missing the rubber on these you’ll likely get a rattling over bumps but it shouldn’t compromise the seal.

As I said on a previous post of yours, the side seal didn’t look to be seated correctly at the front corner. I would take the hardtop off again and check that the seal on the leaking side has no tears and is seated correctly before reinstalling it.

6 hours ago, rederic said:

6 years of looking after the original rear PVC window, i managed to crack it. 🤬

Was it below 10°C air temperature bay any chance?  Don't fold them below this temp.

@gary hubbard in Loughborough (a bit of a hike for you) replaces them with the current equivalent of OE spec vinyl for around £250ish...  Takes him a couple of hours.  Vary happy with the work he did on mine last spring.

22 hours ago, BBB said:

The seal that runs across the top of the windscreen is tightened by the action of the latch when you install the roof. The prongs are just locator pins to stop it moving side to side. If you are missing the rubber on these you’ll likely get a rattling over bumps but it shouldn’t compromise the seal.

As I said on a previous post of yours, the side seal didn’t look to be seated correctly at the front corner. I would take the hardtop off again and check that the seal on the leaking side has no tears and is seated correctly before reinstalling it.

I dont have the rubber pieces on the locator pins.  I tightened the adjustable mounts a little.  I drove the car yesterday and some water drops fell from the central clasp onto me and the passenger seat as I went round corners.

35 minutes ago, ATM said:

I dont have the rubber pieces on the locator pins.  I tightened the adjustable mounts a little.  I drove the car yesterday and some water drops fell from the central clasp onto me and the passenger seat as I went round corners.

Have my hardtop on - would it help you if I video the area around the windscreen edge to see what differences there might be? If you’ve already got enough reference points that’s fine - let me know. 

30 minutes ago, map said:

Have my hardtop on - would it help you if I video the area around the windscreen edge to see what differences there might be? If you’ve already got enough reference points that’s fine - let me know. 

I dont have any reference points so any help would be great thanks.  One of my friends suspects water might be getting in along one of the strips which join the sides to the centre, the one on the passenger side.  We loosened the hardtop and pulled it back an inch or two to check for the rubber pieces on the locator pins.  There was water inside the main seal on the car where the hardtop sits, at the top of the windscreen on the passenger side.  This is why he started thinking the join there could be the culprit.

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I used self adhesive felt as a temporary solution and have no rattles.

The rubber bits (98656362503) are only £2+VAT each anyway.

Mine was fitted without anything but a bit of insulation tape, and though it rattled, it didn’t conspicuously leak.

If you PM me your mobile no. Then I’m happy to WhatsApp a video of mine too.

cheers

Edited by RalphyBMW
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Was it below 10°C air temperature bay any chance?  Don't fold them below this temp.

@gary hubbard in Loughborough (a bit of a hike for you) replaces them with the current equivalent of OE spec vinyl for around £250ish...  Takes him a couple of hours.  Vary happy with the work he did on mine last spring.

Yes it was cold, annoying really always did the Boxster chop. Brain was in neutral. Thanks for the heads up ill contact @gary hubbard

A new glass windowed hood is an option, some options are better than others but can look odd parked next to a vinyl  windowed hood and can also compromise access to the engine bay through the top and are £750 upwards.  The other option is a salvage post facelift hood with original Porsche glass window and the extra bow in the roof so it folds properly and still gives uncompromised engine bay access.  I couldn't find one under £800 when I was looking for a blue one, but am told you can pick up one for £500-600 depending on colour/condition, they can tear away from the bottom edge of the hood frame.  It is a straight bolt in replacement.  On my budget the replacement vinyl screen was the only viable option.

Today, I gave the canvas roof a second coat of waterproofing.

I checked all the levels and gave it a 20mins run 

Now back under covers in the manshed until spring 

The daily 4x4 pays it's way in wettist Wales in winter 

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

A new glass windowed hood is an option, some options are better than others but can look odd parked next to a vinyl  windowed hood and can also compromise access to the engine bay 

If anything I find the vinyl window looks weird to me now! Just what you get used to I guess.

c5Lgtn3.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

For comparison:

cnUMCvL.jpg 

The marks on the hood are tailors' chalk as this was taken immediately after the repaired hood was refitted.

I think I prefer the look of the original roof with its plastic window.  Does no one make a more durable sort of plastic which doesn't tear apart or split so easily when folded cold or whatever the reason.

The issue is the plastic degrades with weather exposure just like the headlights, seals, plastic trim etc. 

On Sunday I attempted to clean some bird 💩 off my plastic rear screen.  As I put pressure on it, I pushed the screen out 😂.  Just to make sure I did it again and now the bottom part of my screen is no longer attached to the hood.  All the stitching has let go.  All fixed with lots of gaffa tape, but will now be looking at a glass roof.  I had the plastic replaced when I first got the car and I think I prefer the look and originality, but the practicality of glass is drawing me in.  Just need to work out which is best in retaining as much access to the engine bay as possible.

Access with an aftermarket glass screen is not much worse than an OEM roof.

I've worked on EDC's car with OEM glass and Molly's with the CHW roof.

If you are keen to keep the OEM look and costs down - a 2nd hand OEM Facelift roof would be the way to go.  Molly's roof was blue and much rarer to obtain a 2nd hand one.  I loved the CHW roof and the improvement in rear view mirror was fantastic.  I couldn't tell the difference between OEM or CHW when in the car driving either car.

• Thanks 1

I had a new screen put in when I got the car a few years back. It was in decent condition still when I removed it but the fu-ck on with the chop, no demister and having to treat it like a new born baby was just ridiculous. Getting out the car to chop it was frankly embarrassing for a car of this type as well. Really glad I did it, the wallet is significantly lighter but the car is way better off overall.

• Like 1

When the plastic window is new and pliable you don't really need to do the chop as it can fold pretty much in a straight line. But what seems to happen otherwise is the the fold isn't uniform and it folds ok on the outer edges but has a lump in the middle. When the material is new you don't have to do the chop either as it will fold over fine itself. 

I’ve got the OEM glass roof, don’t see any restrictions getting access to the engine bay.  As long you open it 40cm as the manual, the glass just folds back on it self.  It also has nice strap that you attach to the side of the roof to keep it in position whilst your tinkering.