What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

This is what I use, off of eBay it’s the correct flutes and you can use a torque wrench on it. 

Strange - this is the one I got, actually from Halfords Will.  LOL

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/laser-oil-filter-cup-wrench-76mm-696674.html

Says its 76mm 14 flutes but its just a bit too small.  Do I have a weird oil filter housing?  Its a 1996 car.

Edited by Daboy3000

36 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/automotive-tools/laser-oil-filter-cup-wrench-76mm-696674.html

Says its 76mm 14 flutes but its just a bit too small.  Do I have a weird oil filter housing?  Its a 1996 car.

That would be the norm for the tool to buy, however a strap wrench will equally do the job, with the easy access to the filter housing 

Mildly miffed today.  Local OPC (Silverstone) asked me for pre-payment for a small parts order, just under £160 so not a massive amount.  First time since the first order I placed with them over 3 years ago.  It was a different chap from usual that replied to my enquiry though.

Parts ordered are the rear plastic under tray, supports and a few screws/nuts for fitting it.

Edited by ½cwt

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Have exactly the same one and, yes, its a tight fit on the housing. Try a bit of lube and a thump!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Mildly miffed today.  Local OPC (Silverstone) asked me for pre-payment for a small parts order, just under £160 so not a massive amount.  First time since the first order I placed with them over 3 years ago.  It was a different chap from usual that replied to my enquiry though.

Parts ordered are the rear plastic under tray, supports and a few screws/nuts for fitting it.

Leicester Opc have always done it to me, even though we have a trade account at work with them, we are finding more and more dealers will now only order parts in once payment has been made

Went over the roof with a lint roller. Amazing how much fluff and dust it pulls off even only a few months after the last time and the roller is fantastically cheap from IKEA (75p) given the job it does..  Also washed it for the first time this year, long over due.

• Like 1

Failed failed failed!

I need help people.  Side light not working, replaced bulb, checked fuse, checked headlight.  No power for just that bulb seems to be going to the connector.

Is this likely to just be the headlight switch?  Any tips, I'm a complete novice with car electrics

It won't be the headlight switch if everything else off that connector is still working. First check the bulb is ok, swap sides, and make sure you have the right one. Check the connector is pressing home ok. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, edc said:

It won't be the headlight switch if everything else off that connector is still working. First check the bulb is ok, swap sides, and make sure you have the right one. Check the connector is pressing home ok. 

Other bulbs work. There is no power to the pin that lights the side light bulb.  I used a multimeter to check. 

Had Drop Links and Front Top Mounts + bearings fitted.

I'm aware of the drop mount tendency to, er .. stick - so I subbed the job out to my local garage.. They did a cracking job at £150 all in for labour. I supplied the parts.

Would seem that the top mount had become detached: sleeve to rubber to mount on both sides..!

Anyway - NO creaks now, steering is smoother and I am a happy bunny..

Car decided to show it's grateful side by failing to lock on the key buttons (been getting progressively worse..) and now has a (quite bad) exhaust rattle, poss baffles...

So that's now the next job on the list and i still haven't had the clutch done....

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Other bulbs work. There is no power to the pin that lights the side light bulb.  I used a multimeter to check. 

Have you checked the rear light for that side ?

I had the same and the rear light had blown but I only noticed the front.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Patt said:

Have you checked the rear light for that side ?

I had the same and the rear light had blown but I only noticed the front.

Yep.  Rears working fine.  It's not a fuse or a bulb or anything within the headlight.  

It must be the wires from the switch to the connector, but they are not easy to get to, hopefully if I take the liner off I might be able to get to them and test.

2 hours ago, marcusjd said:

Had Drop Links and Front Top Mounts + bearings fitted.

I'm aware of the drop mount tendency to, er .. stick - so I subbed the job out to my local garage.. They did a cracking job at £150 all in for labour. I supplied the parts.

Would seem that the top mount had become detached: sleeve to rubber to mount on both sides..!

Anyway - NO creaks now, steering is smoother and I am a happy bunny..

Car decided to show it's grateful side by failing to lock on the key buttons (been getting progressively worse..) and now has a (quite bad) exhaust rattle, poss baffles...

So that's now the next job on the list and i still haven't had the clutch done....

Are your key micro switches wearing out?

Assuming you’ve got 2 keys, send one off to remotefobcentre on eBay, super quick and sorted mine at £48 each.

To make them even better, get a new key button section - 99663735100 for around £17 and they’ll be like new!

Fitted a wireless CarPlay unit, bit of drill & dremel action to a spare armrest bottom & rubber mat, along with some contortion to get the cable into place.

Whipped off the hard top in preparation for a service.

Just occurred to me I should pop into the garage with the lint roller!

• Like 1

MoT & service

Passed, but with an advisory on one of the short brake lines from caliper to flexi.

In other news, recommended to do all 4 of those, front inner toe links, and a corroded AC pipe.

As ever with one of these, none of those things are catastrophic, but still results in a large bill!

On 2/10/2022 at 5:45 PM, ½cwt said:

I called o make my pre-payment and after 3 hours no call back, so I emailed.  Got a call in 5 minutes and paid.  Also gat a sort of apologetic/explanation email from the Parts Manager too. In the last 18 months he has been stick with around £40k worth of non stock items that owners ahve requested an then never collected.  He noted for low value orders it seems extreme but to work out where to put a line for exemptions is tricky, so I now have a better understanding.  At least he took the bother to explain and is looking into a suggestion I made to be able to convert quotes to orders on some form of online payment system which would help the whole Sytner Group as well as customers by reducing the time parts departments are tied up with people confirming orders so it was constructive. 

Must be these richer 911 type owners :stickprod:causing problems.

• Haha 1