What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

6 hours ago, Ken986 said:

Just removed the hood and roll hoops .

Planning on getting the roll hoops painted at the same time as the seat backs. 

I need to remove the hoops on mine at some point as Ive a silver set in garage waiting to be fitted... Any advice on how to remove and refit

2 hours ago, dunks said:

I need to remove the hoops on mine at some point as Ive a silver set in garage waiting to be fitted... Any advice on how to remove and refit

It’s quite involved to be honest.

It helped that my seats are already out .

Remove side trims that cover the front hoop stays. The passenger side cover has a connector at the bottom for the micro switch . Make sure you disconnect it before removing completely.

Disconnect seat belts , put hood in service mode , remove carpet etc from top of engine lid.

Remove the hood completely then - 

VERY CAREFULLY ease the drip tray away from the rear stays of the hoop.Ease out the foam at the base of the rear and it’s 2 13mm nuts each side. Then 2 13mm nuts on the front base .

It will be easier to have a helper to allow easier removal and refitting of the hood and hoops.

Have fun.

Strange how even after a cosmetic job you can't see, the car feel just that little bit better the next time you drive it.  Smiles after a 30 mile trip out this afternoon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ken986 said:

It’s quite involved to be honest.

It helped that my seats are already out .

Remove side trims that cover the front hoop stays. The passenger side cover has a connector at the bottom for the micro switch . Make sure you disconnect it before removing completely.

Disconnect seat belts , put hood in service mode , remove carpet etc from top of engine lid.

Remove the hood completely then - 

VERY CAREFULLY ease the drip tray away from the rear stays of the hoop.Ease out the foam at the base of the rear and it’s 2 13mm nuts each side. Then 2 13mm nuts on the front base .

It will be easier to have a helper to allow easier removal and refitting of the hood and hoops.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info but I Dont really fancy removing the hood, so may sell them on instead

Edited by dunks

Front engine mount;

I decided to do this speculatively, Lemforder 987 mount from Autodoc (has Porsche branding), used bracket from eBay and new spacers from OPC.

Total cost about £82, well documented how awkward it is, but made easier when the studs come out too.

Upon inspection the old one was definitely past it’s best;

cBK6LShW.jpg

PXuVtfnv.jpg

ChmcEhc7.jpg

While I was under the car I also replaced the cat heat shield fixings; some of the originals had fallen out as the holes in the shields had grown with corrosion.

I had tried machine screws but wasn’t convinced so got replacement Dzus fasteners.

These are crazy expensive from the OPC, but frustratingly I was struggling to find a 6mm hex head replacement so went OPC, but with oversized washers. Really fiddly job, destroyed a few pairs of nitrile gloves. 6mm flex head ratchet spanner would have made it waaay easier, but I don’t have one, so 1\4” ratchet and a small adjustable spanner.

fv23h7u2.jpg

The couple of Dzus left on the car were well past their best.

• Like 1

Drove it to the skatepark this morning. Some bmx kids went out of their way to investigate. “Is that your Porsche?”, “is it a Turbo?” Nods of acknowledgment, then back on their way. Love stoking out the little guys, just like when I was little 

• Like 1

Took it for a blast then off for its MoT. It passed with no advisories but not before the garage first refused it for highlights being too low. They adjusted them (£10 charge) and then put it through on a retest (£10 charge). I was told it took three attempts to pass emissions. The engine was as hot as hell when I picked it up!

Anyway, another year sorted. 😁

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, letsmile said:

As a matter of interest what product did you use? And do you know if it would help clean the hood rear window? Thanks

I think Autoglym have a restorer for vinyl windows. The headlight kits tends to be designed for use on hard plastic lenses rather than flexible vinyl

Ashleigh's lights were dull when she arrived. I wasn't prepared to go to the hassle of a full restoration kit (which in most cases isn't needed). I tried toothpaste first which did little to nothing. What worked really well was this: claying the lights then I used Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a LOT of elbow grease. This brought them up brilliantly (without spoiling the clear coat) followed by a coat of wax. They look pretty much like new now.

I have no idea if that would work on a vinyl window, but you could try on a small area.

54 minutes ago, letsmile said:

As a matter of interest what product did you use? And do you know if it would help clean the hood rear window? Thanks

Don't get anything abrasive in nature near to the rear window.  Dr Wack A1 2500 Cabrio Window cleaner made a bit of a difference to mine, reduced yellowing at the edges slightly but there was still a lot of halo effect around following headlights in the dark.  Only later when the vinyl cracked in on corner and I had a new on sewn in (about £250) did I realise how far gone the original was compared to new clear vinyl.  The trimmed that did the window replacement said use Auto Glym Fast Glass or similar only to clean it.

Cheers for all the comments - in the back pocket for when I get onto that👍 Been pretty torrential rain here so haven’t been able to do much on the car outside, but at least now received alot of parts to get stuck in when the sun comes back! A tad frustrating!

4 hours ago, ATM said:

Took the Hardtop off last night. Put the Soft top up. The plastic rear window doesn't look too good after being folded away for over 3 months. Let's hope this roof will keep the car dryer than the Hardtop did.

Park it out in the sun for a bit with the hood up.

Getting ready for MOT on 17th of March, checked everything, all good. Just realized that rear coffin arm would be better with new ones.

I am also preparing my daily for sale and I will start using Boxster daily, finally. My wife calls me crazy because of the fuel prices, but I don't mind it for now! I will sell my daily Fiesta 1.6TDCI ultra fuel-efficient  hopefully soon for a 1 year- fuel cost of 986 : ). Fiesta helped me a lot for savings for 986, but the time has come.

Just took my Boxster for it’s MOT and pleased to say it passed ok just one advisory that the rear brake pads were getting a bit thin which I knew about so will get new rear discs and pads fitted and good to go for another year 👍👍