What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

3 hours ago, Sanky said:

I’ve got the OEM glass roof, don’t see any restrictions getting access to the engine bay.  As long you open it 40cm as the manual, the glass just folds back on it self.  It also has nice strap that you attach to the side of the roof to keep it in position whilst your tinkering.

That's the advantage with OEM glass, an extra frame hoop was added by Porsche when the glass was put in, which also gives the roof a different profile but gives the correct ease of access to the engine bay.  Any retro fit of a pre-facelift hood has either smaller glass or restricts engine bay access to a degree.  The best I've seen is the one @SuperPaulie has in pictures above.

2 hours ago, Halfordwill said:

It’s what you get used to but I don’t think it looks like something from the 1900’s😂

Where's the horse?  

Yeah, I was only messing about, that actually looks better than I remembered.  I would be happy with that.

Edited by Daboy3000

Got it dirty doing 300 miles or so taking it down to Bicester & back, then gave it a wash.

Remembered to pop the spoiler up before I washed it, and was quite surprised at just how dirty it was.

Had a creaking from the passenger airbag cover; looks like it might not be perfectly centred. Not had chance to loosen and adjust, but a bit of Autoglym vinyl & rubber care on the tighter side seems to have solved things for now.

Also found time to replace the caps that go on the prongs for the hard top.

iVEwx2zo.jpg

6PAvkLSw.jpg

The cap locates positively on the prong.

Looking forward to the next time I use the car to see how it drives.

Took the LH dash vent apart to get to the cabin temp sensor. I didnt realise that this has a small fan that draws air past the sensor. 
tested the fan motor = ok. Got continuity over the sensor, cleaned with brake cleaner, still doesnt work. Put it back together.

had a look at some vw sensors to see if i could bodge an alternative. porsche sensors are eye wateringly costly

4 minutes ago, Guy Wilkinson said:

Took the LH dash vent apart to get to the cabin temp sensor. I didnt realise that this has a small fan that draws air past the sensor. 
tested the fan motor = ok. Got continuity over the sensor, cleaned with brake cleaner, still doesnt work. Put it back together.

had a look at some vw sensors to see if i could bodge an alternative. porsche sensors are eye wateringly costly

I bought a used one one from Douglas Valley.

My old one sounded just like yours, fan was silent and worked, etc. but getting the multimeter out showed different resistance.

fitted towing eye and retorqued the wheels in preparation for a trackday next week.

decided that the 19mm socket i was using is made of cheese, so ordered a better one. along with some spare brake fluid.

assuming trackday is successful, will be getting new track tyres!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patt said:

That shows all the bits you missed hand waxing.  That would drive me crazzy

It is actually filthy underneath the ice, it was last polished about 5 months ago but first time I've seen the ice layer form in crystals this shape.  It will get a full clay, polish and gloss in the Spring when the days are longer and warmer.

Collected the shifter alignment tool and rear bootlid gas struts from the very friendly Nottingham OPC. You'd think they wouldn't have the time of day for a humble old Boxster, but the customer service is excellent! Gas struts now installed (15 minutes of faffing with a flathead screw driver in the cold and dark, would have taken half the time in the day time). Saturday morning looks dry so that's when I plan to adjust my gearshift cables. Which means there will be a spirited test drive in the afternoon. 🙂

• Like 1

https://ibb.co/nwg9tym

With the cables now properly aligned, the shift accuracy and fluidity is back! Gears engage positively and correctly, every time. It's amazing how much difference the cable tension adjustment being off by a couple of threads can make. Using the shifter alignment tool, all my problems have been sorted. Removing the centre console and putting it back again was a much speedier affair second time round, even though this time I opted to also remove the cubby hole unit under the radio. Re-installing the console I took care to get an extra half a milimetre of clearance between the handbrake and the console plastic in front of it, a small but all-important difference. Pretty pleased with my work.

Some more opinions on the shift-right kit: the gear change now feels very good, but there is still a tiny bit of play in the gear lever. I have traced this to play inside the fore and aft bearings of the upgrade kit. Nothing I can't live with, definitely better that the old nylon bushes, but a bit disappointing when Function First even go to trouble to include shim tape in the kit to eliminate play between the bearing cylinders and the surrounding plastic frame they slot into.

I am now very happy with the car, it is in perfect working order.

My test drive was very satisfying,  despite the weekend traffic and the grime (I was constantly spurting washer fluid on the windscreen) and since I had the roof down I can also confirm that the Thermatouch insulated smart gloves I bought on impulse at the gas station were an excellent purchase and great for driving. 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand
Picture link