What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, S14 said:

Hi @edc

The garage charged me £95 + vat for the lanoguard.

That seems very reasonable when you look at the cost of the materials retail. 👍

Edited by edc

Had a new plastic rear window put in , £225 , probably only good if you're Oop North ( Yorkshire / North East 

http://www.theseatrepairguy.co.uk/ Good job and considering how much work is involved ( stripped off the canvas from the frame ) not outrageously expensive  

Edited by myfirstboxster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

What have I not done today... 

Couldn't get the bolt out of the back, need much longer tools. 

Old one is more bent than I thought. 

2021-12-10_02-38-26

Do you mean longer as in to apply more force?  I suspect it will be the bolt corroded into the bush.  Impact wrench makes little difference as the rubber in the bush absorbs the impacts.  Time to get recip saw with a good blade.

About as bent as my front tuning fork..

Fmv8H7X.jpg 

• Confused 1

Just now, Daboy3000 said:

Ah, OK. Well I've got one, so that's a start. Where do you recommend I do the cut. Do you know what the replacement bolt is? 

The replacement is M12 x 83mm 997.331.217.02, yes it has been up issued to a 997 part number, (M12 x 100 997.331.217.02 is for the coffin arm if you need to know) your best source is from an OPC about £9 -£10 each for this high tensile hardened eccentric bolt.  You'll need a good blade (Bosch Sabre), which will go through in 30-45 seconds or lots of cheap blades and several minutes.  Loosen what you can on the toe link but taking the nut and eccentric washer off the bolt and disconnect the other end from the hub carrier , push it down and back to open up access to the bush on the right side (to front of car), the end with the bolt head on it.  Cut a little into the metal bush to help make sure you don't damage the subframe casting and if you are luck you can waggle the toe link out, if not you'll need to cut the other end too....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, myfirstboxster said:

13 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

More expensive than a new one?!?

From the description this is the coffin arm bolt NOT the toe link bolt i.e. the 100mm long one not the 83mm one.  When I bought all 4 rear bolts for mine, 2 of each, just over 12 months ago they were £9.02 each incl VAT from my local OPC.  Added bonus I knew they were new not 20 years old...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ½cwt said:

From the description this is the coffin arm bolt NOT the toe link bolt i.e. the 100mm long one not the 83mm one.  When I bought all 4 rear bolts for mine, 2 of each, just over 12 months ago they were £9.02 each incl VAT from my local OPC.  Added bonus I knew they were new not 20 years old...

Most of my rear bolts came out really cleanly; I paid £8.80 for a new eccentric toe bolt around May time. Bloody washer was nearly as much again though, and nut about £2.35.

Not something I’d typically consider buying used.

2 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Most of my rear bolts came out really cleanly; I paid £8.80 for a new eccentric toe bolt around May time. Bloody washer was nearly as much again though, and nut about £2.35.

Not something I’d typically consider buying used.

Why wouldn't the washer go again it is the only one of the three bits (nut, bolt, washer) that isn't load affected or was it damaged getting it off?

20 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Why wouldn't the washer go again it is the only one of the three bits (nut, bolt, washer) that isn't load affected or was it damaged getting it off?

Probably would, but it’s £2.35 for the washer was an easy decision at the same time as the £18 or so for the bolt & nut!

Rear defroster was not working, it works after wire continuity check. Cleaned throttle body on Saturday but surprisingly it was much cleaner than I thought. Sunday, I drove car to Silverstone for Lap of Lights. I finally saw(from a distance) this Grossmutter (grandma) 718 W-RS Spyder. I missed the chance to see this car in 2010 in Goodwood and also in Porsche Museum visits. Here are some shots with that beauty.

ajWEGNM.jpgIf you are interested in this car, it has unique history. https://www.porscheroadandrace.com/grossmutter-718-w-rs-spyder-one-of-a-kind/

Took my 986 for an MOT yesterday which it passed with no advisories. Not bad for nearly 25 years old. The best bit though was I left it at the garage, wandered across the industrial estate to "Glen's Cafe" where a breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausages, fried bread, tomato, mushroom, beans, black pudding, toast and tea was only £6. 

• Like 1

What did I do today?  Forgave it for waking me up with a flat battery alarm two months ago.  I was ready to sell it frankly but the sun was out, it fired up from a jump start and we had a great 30 minute zip around the lanes on what little petrol was still in it.  At which point I thought “this car is absurd value” and then reminded myself to order some tuning forks to stop the snooker ball rattle I had forgotten about.

Spose it can stay a little longer…

Finally installed the Function First Shift Right kit. Managed to scratch and puncture the handbrake gaiter in the process (did I remember to mask it off, as recommended on YouTube? Nope...), and put a couple of scratches on the passenger sill as I was stupidly wearing hiking boots. I chose the darkest Sunday of the year and started working on the car around 1.30pm, because I'm a moron. Went for a test drive in pitch black darkness, 3.5 °C outside temperature readings, greasy road surfaces and thick thick fog, of course. Then had fun putting the console back in with the aid of my smartphone's torchlight.

The gearbox now feels tight and precise, there's a pleasing rifle bolt action to it, the trouble I was having when trying to engage first gear at the traffic lights is gone, there's a bit of force required to shift from fourth to third (I adjusted the longitudinal plane cable to improve it as much as I could and went for a short drive round the block again before I decided to put the console back in).

A few hours of the battery being disconnected seems to have given me some grunt back, the engine had been feeling lethargic since that time I was forced to put 95 Octane E10 in it during September's fuel crisis.

What to tackle next, the cosmetics or book a dyno run at BDS motorsport? Decisions, decisions... 

Edited by Ol' Shatterhand
Typos

Attempted to install Mr12volts bluetooth kit, was not successful, realised I have no idea how to connect the power and ground wire...

After taking the cdc unit out, I can't push it back because the cables were in the way, so I removed the air con control to return cdc to its original place, then found I can't put the air con control back...took me half an hour to realise the guiding pieces needs to be screwed on first. 

I did gave the cdc uint a good clean🙃