What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Not today but over the last couple of months since its been sorned.

Ditched the aftermarket exhaust  and fitted a 2nd hand replacement from a 2004 S.

Replaced both transmission mount, no photos unfortunately.

Replaced part of the shift mechanism that I didn't even realise was broken until I removed the exhaust. Bizarrely it had been changing gear better than ever in that state.

Found some rust on the body! This is in the seam that protrudes in to the rear arch. Now ground back and treated with rust converter and painted. Will hopefully keep it at bay for a few years.

PGctztPt.jpg

9cw7MiDE.jpg

LCc8A7R1.jpg

YN1svPqz.jpg

qhDkUFe4.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:14 PM, jonogt6 said:

Not today but over the last couple of months since its been sorned.

Ditched the aftermarket exhaust  and fitted a 2nd hand replacement from a 2004 S.

Replaced both transmission mount, no photos unfortunately.

Replaced part of the shift mechanism that I didn't even realise was broken until I removed the exhaust. Bizarrely it had been changing gear better than ever in that state.

Found some rust on the body! This is in the seam that protrudes in to the rear arch. Now ground back and treated with rust converter and painted. Will hopefully keep it at bay for a few years.

Nice work; where did you get the replacement transmission mounts?

6 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Nice work; where did you get the replacement transmission mounts?

I ended up buying them from the USA via ebay as it worked out cheapest and doing through the eBayglobal shipping programmeant that import taxes etc were dealt with at point of sale. They only took a week or so to arrive and Rein get really good parts reviews so very happy with them.Ki1zCnRf.jpg

• Like 1

If you are handy with the DIY you can refurb your old ones and refill with poly. Adjust the shore for a mild uprating. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, edc said:

If you are handy with the DIY you can refurb your old ones and refill with poly. Adjust the shore for a mild uprating. 

A decent sounding method. However in my case i noticed that both rubber inserts were sitting approx 8mm lower on each of the old ones where the constant weight of the transmission had pushed down on them.

Started ordering up the remaining parts I need to refurb my brakes.  Job will be new hard lines under the car that I'll make up in cunifer with new fittings, Goodridge flexi hoses, new caliper bolts (thanks @T911UK for the previous 2 items), new OE hard lines from flexi to caliper, new dust covers (and piston seals if required), bleed nipples and repainted calipers with new decals.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Started ordering up the remaining parts I need to refurb my brakes.  Job will be new hard lines under the car that I'll make up in cunifer with new fittings, Goodridge flexi hoses, new caliper bolts (thanks @T911UK for the previous 2 items), new OE hard lines from flexi to caliper, new dust covers (and piston seals if required), bleed nipples and repainted calipers with new decals.

Lovely jubbly, cunifer hard lines sound the business, are you going to make all the lines yourself?   I hear some of them are a bit tricky to access on a boxster. 

I've just booked mine in for it's first MOT in my ownership, it had expired before I bought it.  I have no idea if it will pass, and completely expect it to fail. I've gone over it as much as I can, but I am far from a mechanic.

It will be so much easier once I can legally drive it, moving it around on the driveway doesn't tell you much, it's certainly driveway worthy!

It's the day after my birthday so would be a great present.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, joeluth said:

Lovely jubbly, cunifer hard lines sound the business, are you going to make all the lines yourself?   I hear some of them are a bit tricky to access on a boxster. 

Front cross pipes and the main front to rear.  The rear cross pipe that is difficult to access is fortunately sound.  The short flexi to caliper pipes I'll buy from my OPC.

I had to bought two new rear tyres, luckily I have found what I have been looking for. On the way to MOT, nearside rear had a cut that cords exposed. Bloody pot holes on A5!  After tyre change and alignment, MOT passed with no advisory. All day I wondered around Towcester which was nice though. Offside rear is in good condition 4mm depth Continental if anyone is interested.

4 minutes ago, femreg said:

I had to bought two new rear tyres, luckily I have found what I have been looking for. On the way to MOT, nearside rear had a cut that cords exposed. Bloody pot holes on A5!  After tyre change and alignment, MOT passed with no advisory. All day I wondered around Towcester which was nice though. Offside rear is in good condition 4mm depth Continental if anyone is interested.

What do you do in Towcester, other than lunch or dinner, that takes longer than an hour??

28 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

What do you do in Towcester, other than lunch or dinner, that takes longer than an hour??

Having a SORN with no MOT locked me at there. So, I watched couple of greyhound races on the racecourse, spent time on Waitrose cafe, went to Towcester Mill Brewery and tried 1/2 pints brews, did a nice walk to Easton Neston House, on the way back, had a coffee with blondie cake, enjoy the view from Bury Mount. I finished all with checking new cars on Porsche showroom. I guess all Towcester done for years to come and I am ready for my retirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I need some Caliper Bolts.  Will this T911 guy be the best place to source some?

I also bought some fancy stainless bleed nipples look

20220204-153713.jpg

1 hour ago, ATM said:

I need some Caliper Bolts.  Will this T911 guy be the best place to source some?

I also bought some fancy stainless bleed nipples look

20220204-153713.jpg

I threw the current part number for the caliper bolts into Google and Type911uk came out with the best price.  They are  £3+VAT and £6+VAT for delivery, which as I was buying Goodridge hoses too with 8 bolts cheaper than an OPC where the bolts are £3.70+VAT after 10% off.  Beware though the up issued bolt is no longer an 8mm Allen cap it is now a Torx fitting.

Caliper bolt part numbers for the 986 were 999 067 041 01 or 999 067 041 09, now up issued to 999 073 402 01.

Edited by ½cwt

On 3/16/2022 at 10:32 PM, edc said:

Can you renew the ball joint itself?

I replaced a couple which failed MOT due to loose ball joints.  I think I still have the old ones somewhere.  Obviously getting them off means the ball joint gets obliterated in the process.

So can you replace the ball joint and the 2 bushes?

10 minutes ago, Halfordwill said:

If you are ordering an arm then spyder performance do the eccentric bolts too

All arms (from Spyder 👍) and eccentric bolts in the suspension were already done in 2020/2021.  Ironically it was starting this brakes job, nearly 2 years ago that led me to find a broken front spring, which then with a service and MOT report noting the condition of the coffin arm rubbers and a weeping shock led to the rest of the suspensions, so this is a somewhat delayed piece of planned work.

1 minute ago, ATM said:

Can you renew the ball joint itself?

I replaced a couple which failed MOT due to loose ball joints.  I think I still have the old ones somewhere.  Obviously getting them off means the ball joint gets obliterated in the process.

So can you replace the ball joint and the 2 bushes?

The quote you picked up is for transmission mounts, not ball joints.

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

The quote you picked up is for transmission mounts, not ball joints.

Oops sorry lads

I think I need engine mount/s or gearbox mount/s.  I can definitely feel something heavy moving around when I change gear.

Also arriving in yesterday's post was a neat small double USB for the cigar lighter socket (2 for under £5 so one for Mrs ½cwt's Golf Cabrio as well) to tidy up the dash and the cables for SatNav and phone charging.

Before:

m4t3Vg5.jpg?1 

After:

SW16dqh.jpgx5TSIGS.jpg 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ATM said:

Oops sorry lads

I think I need engine mount/s or gearbox mount/s.  I can definitely feel something heavy moving around when I change gear.

Most likely front engine mount.  Once done it will also make the gear change feel better.

• Like 1