What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 hours ago, deanmr2 said:

+1 The best method 

And don't forget to copper grease em when you fit the new one's. I replaced my front two about 8 years ago and had to replace one again this weekend as the rubber boot had torn. The bolt literally just slipped out with no hassle whatsoever.

9 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

And don't forget to copper grease em when you fit the new one's. I replaced my front two about 8 years ago and had to replace one again this weekend as the rubber boot had torn. The bolt literally just slipped out with no hassle whatsoever.

Better to use an aluminium rather than copper based assembly compound in alloy castings, but anything helps!

On 7/10/2021 at 7:44 AM, Bluepork03 said:

Fitted the Carnewal back-box as purchased from @MartynH a few weeks ago and took it for a quick run over the Marlborough downs. Raucous and smile-inducing :thumbsup_still:

Look forward to hearing it Al. Are you coming on Sunday?

Took advantage of a hot sunny day (after going for a run in it) to wash the seatbelts.  Here's hoping the driver's side will retract better after drying in the hot sun this afternoon.  Used 'Klipits' to hold the belts at full extension and keep the buckle out of the way.  just mixed in some gentle washing detergent and left each belt to soak for 10 mins or so after working the detergent into the webbing, then rinsed in clean water again working it into the webbing.  Water was filthy at the end of both stages!

1 hour ago, Bradders59 said:

At 2.45 a.m got out of bed because the alarm had gone off. No idea why but the wife was seriously p*ssed off, and the neighbours probably even more so.

Might find out this morning !

Low battery voltage?

1 hour ago, map said:

Drove it following its release from Boot Camp

BkjB44X.jpg

These are great cars aren’t they?

Looking good. How did you wire in/switch on the front spots? And where did you get the sticky front plate? 

@ 1/2cwt.  Doubt it, I have been driving it quiet a lot over the last week.

Maybe an insect flying around inside ? Or maybe someone was actually messing around with it.

Central locking doesnt work at the moment, so if someone opened the passenger door, it would have set the alarm off.

Edited by Bradders59

58 minutes ago, edc said:

Looking good. How did you wire in/switch on the front spots? And where did you get the sticky front plate? 

Thank you - it’s something I’ve been working towards for a while now. Had settled on yellow driving lights because of the slight murkiness that we get up on the Dales and Wolds. 

Lamps are on a relay that is fired by a feed from the main beam circuit.  

Three switch positions:

1) On with main beam.

2) Off regardless of main lighting circuits. 

3) On regardless of main lighting circuits. 

Switch is located in front of the shifter. 

Plate supplied by: https://proplates.co.uk/ after two unconnected car mates both recommended them. A bit slow to process but quality seems up to the mark. 

Edited by map

59 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

@ 1/2cwt.  Doubt it, I have been driving it quiet a lot over the last week.

Maybe an insect flying around inside ? Or maybe someone was actually messing around with it.

Central locking doesnt work at the moment, so if someone opened the passenger door, it would have set the alarm off.

Its just the usual culprit.  Could be a cell has gone bad but if you are using it a lot it would be cranking weakly too.

I did have a spider set mine off one, it was winter if I hadn't had the half cover on which I'd only flapped back off the driver's side when I was investigating it, I wouldn't have seen the spider silk glisten in the interior light leading me to the spider.  The non rent paying 'guest' was promptly evicted.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BBB said:

Applied some this morning.  They were retracting better after just the cleaning but with some silicone spray (had some already but thanks for the link) they almost fly back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, map said:

Drove it following its release from Boot Camp

BkjB44X.jpg

These are great cars aren’t they?

Interesting addition, totally practical, first time I’ve seen spots on the front of a Boxster 🤔

6 minutes ago, the baron said:

Interesting addition, totally practical, first time I’ve seen spots on the front of a Boxster 🤔

Thanks - know it’s the kind of tweak that will divide opinion but the trigger was pulled for practical reasons. There’s also an option to add further elements if there’s a need 🤔

4 hours ago, map said:

Thanks - know it’s the kind of tweak that will divide opinion but the trigger was pulled for practical reasons. There’s also an option to add further elements if there’s a need 🤔

How reversible is it as that number plate position might be an MOT issue?

32 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

How reversible is it as that number plate position might be an MOT issue?

MOT: good point and one that has been anticipated.  
There’s an element of “playing the odds” regarding the relevant regulations - the plate itself is compliant in terms of size, font, spacing and reflectivity. But it isn’t mounted vertically which is what I think you’re referring to. 

It’s all completely reversible and achieved without any new holes in the PU. 

17 minutes ago, edc said:

@map are the litronics not cutting it? Have you tried a bulb change in them?

Litronics as headlights are fine provided they’re refreshed - as you suggest - with that in mind have already put brand new NightShagger bulbs in, had the auto-levelling sorted and the headlamps have been polished. So they’re as good as they will be. 

Main beam is where I’m after a bit more range and this rig will hopefully deliver that. If it doesn’t changing for something else will be straightforward because the electrics and rigid mounts are in place. 

Edited by map

11 hours ago, map said:

If it doesn’t changing for something else will be straightforward because the electrics and rigid mounts are in place. 

Wondering if you could get a used PU and fabricate a ramp on it, like the 70s-80s rally cars...

3 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Wondering if you could get a used PU and fabricate a ramp on it, like the 70s-80s rally cars...

I was thinking more like a top screen mount light bar, 3 inch lift, higher profile knobbly tyres and a safari screen mount air intake 😎