What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Your alloys are looking a little worse for wear

Yep there 18” sport designs and have never been touched. Put new Michelin N3 all round but insides look worse as just flaking clear coat. It’s my last job but can’t decide on the finish of the outer rim? Leave it as standard diamond cut and lacquered or sprayed chrome as been told it will last longer but not original. If I could decide I would have them done tomorrow. 

heYoPDL.jpg

Edited by Boxsum
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Original oil spec, original tyre spec, original IMS have all been notably improved over 20 years. Does that help?

Not really ☹️ It’s not about originality but totally aesthetics, it would be nice to see some sport designs with the outer rim sprayed? Anyone? 

@Rav went through the same dilemma with same wheels. A few others have posted their refurb pics too @EXY pic can do the rounds again 😂

• Like 1

Cleaned up a replacement driver's seat that I received from, Douglas Valley Breakers in the week and is now ready for fitting next weekend.  Had to give the passenger seat a damn good clean to match.

My original had been partially re-Connollised in the past and was showing cracks again, @gary hubbard indicated it was un-restorable and the right side bolster in the back also appears to have broken.  Came from an X reg car with a build date of Sept '00 so about 7 months newer than the original.  

18 hours ago, Boxsum said:

I would be most grateful 🙏

Have a look at my running report.  I had my outers painted chrome and they looked good.  Lasted quite a few years, but they do eventually chip leaving the grey primer on show.  I've recently had the wheels refurbished and this time I went back to diamond cut as IMO they look better.  I have pics of both on my thread.

25 minutes ago, mvw said:

Have a look at my running report.  I had my outers painted chrome and they looked good.  Lasted quite a few years, but they do eventually chip leaving the grey primer on show.  I've recently had the wheels refurbished and this time I went back to diamond cut as IMO they look better.  I have pics of both on my thread.

Thankyou 

Dyed the soft top roof in an attempt to improve the aesthetics - Made a slight improvement, but the main issue is the previous owner must have blasted the cloth at point blank range and lifted the fibres. I never drive with the roof up so I'm not too concerned.

Followed this up with changing the ignition switch. Not a job for a 15st 45 year old with limited flexibility - Lying on my back with head by the pedals trying to feel for a pair of grub screws is not the most comfortable way to pass a Sunday afternoon. All done and works like a treat.

What do do next..........🤔

just fitted some new car mats to replace the aging, ludicrously thick pile grey ones that were in there when i bought it. a mere £16 delivered, perfect fit, and now a far more sporty thinner black carpet.

maybe next month it'll get a wash too, looking fairly filthy at the moment...

Sorted my drivers side window height being too low and allowing water in when it rained. 

2 hour job in the end with a lot of swearing etc but almost got it perfect... 

XTqYksD.jpg
u7Hyo4O.jpg
dVNlzHu.jpg

Before and after..
q7KI3kX.jpg

1VHjfZ0.jpg
ij5bNty.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fizz said:

Sorted my drivers side window height being too low and allowing water in when it rained. 

2 hour job in the end with a lot of swearing etc but almost got it perfect... 

XTqYksD.jpg
u7Hyo4O.jpg
dVNlzHu.jpg

Before and after..
q7KI3kX.jpg

1VHjfZ0.jpg
ij5bNty.jpg

I have 2001 Boxster and the window height can be adjusted from underneath the door without taking the door apart. Just open the rubber plug and the adjusting nut will be accessible with few inch extension on the socket.

Is the window adjusting from door bottom access different / eliminated from 2003 model?

3 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

I have 2001 Boxster and the window height can be adjusted from underneath the door without taking the door apart. Just open the rubber plug and the adjusting nut will be accessible with few inch extension on the socket.

Is the window adjusting from door bottom access different / eliminated from 2003 model?

You're right it can be and if my inner adjustment piece allowed me to do so it would have been a 5 min job but mine was not working. 

To be honest it needed coming off as the door lining was hanging off and had to be stuck back on. 👍🏽

I trapped my finger/nail in the roof latch as i went to close it whilst looking elsewhere... it ones of those where you only do it once before you learn. 😐

Edited by fizz

3 hours ago, KevM79 said:

Changed 3 of the 4 drop-links. 

3 played nice, 1 is going to raise my blood-pressure a lot....

You've got away with it lightly, all 4 of mine played hard, as did both rear coffin arm and both rear toe link bolts.  Lots to look forward to!

12,000 mile service and MOT. Few advisories:

Rear Discs low; headlamp washer nozzle  broken (expensive apparently) ; litronic leveller link stiff (?); o/s control arm end debonding. 

Common sense would suggest the sensor is stiff on the headlight leveller, so it might just need a good clean. Jobs for the weekend/winter!

2 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

12,000 mile service and MOT. Few advisories:

Rear Discs low; headlamp washer nozzle  broken (expensive apparently) ; litronic leveller link stiff (?); o/s control arm end debonding. 

Common sense would suggest the sensor is stiff on the headlight leveller, so it might just need a good clean. Jobs for the weekend/winter!

Headlamp washers about £150 and the only place to get a known quality items is from an OPC, all second hand units are as likely as yours to fail unless by some miracle someone has guaranteed new old stock.

Litronic link, clean it up and apply lithium grease to the moving joints.

Control arm, I'd recommend doing in pairs, Spyder Performance.

• Like 1

Nothing today (yet), but over the past week it’s had a proper geo (Spires), and a really good run from Yorkshire to Bicester, up to Leamington Spa, and back to Yorkshire.

This week I thought I’d assembled all the bits to refit an OE exhaust; right up to the point that I tried to get the box on and after much cursing and struggling, realised that my 2.7 was missing a spacer at the end of the gearbox.

Part needs to come from Germany, no Pork for me this weekend 😕

On the plus side, only about £12.