What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

Getting Brownie points today, have cleaned and applied Auto Glym Carbrio cleaner and protector to both Mrs ½cwt's Golf Cabrio and to my Boxster.  Boy the Golf roof was filthy and is so much bigger and higher than the Boxster.

After lunch onto the washing, vacuuming and may be even polishing them both.

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Getting Brownie points today, have cleaned and applied Auto Glym Carbrio cleaner and protector to both Mrs ½cwt's Golf Cabrio and to my Boxster.  Boy the Golf roof was filthy and is so much bigger and higher than the Boxster.

After lunch onto the washing, vacuuming and may be even polishing them both.

So lots of Brownie points as the Golf got the works including an Extra Gloss after the polish, but as a result the Boxster only got a wash, leather off and glass polish.  Both looking good though.

9 hours ago, charliecwmboi said:

Had a dent repair guy round to sort the supermarket door dents on both doors, cracking job. Changed all front and rear anti roll bar drop links and the bushes, sorted the knocking feelings, got to do the front shocks bump stops next week.

It is a lot of work for just the bump stops...  You can do it without taking the upright off the bottom ball joint by slackening the inboard bolt on the coffin arm, disconnecting the tuning fork, also disconnect the drop link at the ARB end rather than find out it is seized into the hub, then you just have clearance to tilt the top of teh strut out under the wheel arch. 

At least think about changing the top mounts and inspect the top bearings, you should get away with a clean and re-grease on these.  Sachs top mounts which are OE are about £60 or so a pair if you look in the right place, or Spyder Performance are a bit more but come with new bearings.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday my wife came home after a McDonalds drive through and many chips had ended up under the driver seat. Seat out to be hoovered out so I thought I'd change the alternator belt as a new one was in stock. The old one was cracking up slightly. Replaced a blown fuse so the driver side seat back moves again. Happy days. 

Put a Saab on ebay in the evening and reserve met already, will be able to pay the vet bill in a week or so. 

20 hours ago, ½cwt said:

So lots of Brownie points as the Golf got the works including an Extra Gloss after the polish, but as a result the Boxster only got a wash, leather off and glass polish.  Both looking good though.

WFH today so during a quiet spell I polished and Extra Glossed the Boxster too.  Now have 2 immaculate(ish) cars on the drive. 🙂

Edited by ½cwt

I had both of my practically new EIS radiators replaced with Mahle ones today. The EIS ones were leaking badly after only a few journeys AND the passenger side one had already been replaced once before under warranty! I'm looking forward to a journey where I can't smell coolant and the coolant level warning light isn't flashing at me when I get home 😁🤞🏻

28 minutes ago, Kay Pee said:

Finally getting round to painting the calipers.

Budget job with Hammerite, stickers and lacquer, but I'm pleased with the end result.

ACtC-3e9zYHTNvGTMZAHLv_bw3eE6pLN_U-dh1is

Looks mint that.

Thanks guys.

It looked mint until the clear lacquer I sprayed on top made the hammerite contract and left creases in the paint 🙈

Had to completely re-paint one of the calipers, the others aren't too bad thankfully. I'm not very glad the stickers are sold in packs of 6 🤣🤣

On 4/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, ½cwt said:

Spent a nice morning in the sun at Hubbard Upholstery in Loughborough with @gary hubbard having a new vinyl rear screen fitted and talking Porsche and trimming.  Professional job done in about 2 hours and great value.  Can't tell you how clear it is when driving as I had the hood down on the way home, a bit of heat soak from the engine might help it to 'remember' the folded position.  Took a detour on the way home to check out some roads for the 23 May East Mids meet too.  Found some!  Did about 100 miles all in, only about 15 were on dual carriageway so an excellent day.

Before:

SPlEt3x.jpgJ4ft60X.jpg  

After

cnUMCvL.jpg

fh8SLXz.jpg 

That looks super clear, great job, I’d forgotten how big the original rear screens are compared to my after market glass window 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the baron said:

That looks super clear, great job, I’d forgotten how big the original rear screens are compared to my after market glass window 

It is a real surprise how much clearer it is and makes the cabin feel a lot lighter with the hood up. Having done it is is definitely worth considering at 30% of a replacement roof where new to fit old frame of old but on a facelift frame.

On 4/27/2021 at 3:41 PM, Kay Pee said:

Finally getting round to painting the calipers.

Budget job with Hammerite, stickers and lacquer, but I'm pleased with the end result.

ACtC-3e9zYHTNvGTMZAHLv_bw3eE6pLN_U-dh1is

Hi kay pee. What was the hammerite that you used. Was it just red spray can?? Also can you tell me where you got stickers or post link. Also did you do this with calipers on car??  Need to do mine as they have faded badly!! 

Folks, I have to say I'm not sure how heat resistant ordinary Hammerite is for a caliper paint.  You need to be using their High Heat paint that is 600°C resistant and a high temp compatible lacquer.

One of the caliper refurbishers sells a paint kit of their paint 2 part paint if you want to get the most appropriate paint for the job.

36 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Folks, I have to say I'm not sure how heat resistant ordinary Hammerite is for a caliper paint.  You need to be using their High Heat paint that is 600°C resistant and a high temp compatible lacquer.

One of the caliper refurbishers sells a paint kit of their paint 2 part paint if you want to get the most appropriate paint for the job.

Thanks for the info. Do you know where i could get paint and roughly how much it would cost? Also where do you get the caliper stickers. 

Painted front grills to black, found cobalt blue side vents from a breaker. It will be on the car soon. Other thing done in last weeks, I didn't do these because I don't have enough time to work on the car in this month, and I would like to use it soon. Therefore, James from JGC-Brackley has been working on the car.

- New spark plugs, sealants, new oil filter, oil change, new oil filter...

- Coolant Flush

- Brake Fluid Change

- Transmission Oil Change

- So many issues with A/C, waiting for some parts

- New exhaust clamp offside

- New CV Boot nearside

- New rim centre caps with new bolts

- New PSM Front Linkage

I found that I have a brand new alternator and the sport exhaust back pressure lines goes over the engine cover which I found it odd and searching photo/guidance for an correct setup of sport exhaust. I am surprised because this XLF option came with the car but couldn't sleep well last night because of this : ) I will search the forum. All the parts came with this XLF as in this link:  https://content.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/Classic/ClassicExplorer.nsf/ClassicPartsExplorerProductDetail?ReadForm&country=international&se=986&mo=&my=&ca=&sw=&pr=651395D6C39BAB4CC12580EA002C6D33

Front.jpeg

vents.jpeg

17 hours ago, Shippers01 said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know where i could get paint and roughly how much it would cost? Also where do you get the caliper stickers. 

I got the decals on ebay - the 100mm ones are just about small enough to fit on the smaller 2.5's calipers, but look well. Bit fiddly to fit, but they give you 6 in a pack so you can practice 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164475242107?var=464079203637

I used standard red hammerite metal paint in a tin from a local motor factors, painted on with a small-ish paint brush and with the disc covered and pads removed. I didn't want to completely remove the calipers so figured paint-on might be easier, and red overspray would be a bit obvious 😮 . I would probably look for a higher temperature compatible paint as suggested wisely below, remember my solution is untested as yet. Paint-on won't leave you with perfectly smooth finish either, but depends how fussy you are about the job.

The clear lacquer I used (fairly standard spray-on stuff) really didn't like the hammerite paint at all and caused it to shrivel up. The lacquer does make the fairly boring hammerite paint pop though, but nice light coats recommended (or perhaps slightly more research than I did 😄 )

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Good call

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Kay Pee said:

I got the decals on ebay - the 100mm ones are just about small enough to fit on the smaller 2.5's calipers, but look well. Bit fiddly to fit, but they give you 6 in a pack so you can practice 🙂

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164475242107?var=464079203637

I used standard red hammerite metal paint in a tin from a local motor factors, painted on with a small-ish paint brush and with the disc covered and pads removed. I didn't want to completely remove the calipers so figured paint-on might be easier, and red overspray would be a bit obvious 😮 . I would probably look for a higher temperature compatible paint as suggested wisely below, remember my solution is untested as yet. Paint-on won't leave you with perfectly smooth finish either, but depends how fussy you are about the job.

The clear lacquer I used (fairly standard spray-on stuff) really didn't like the hammerite paint at all and caused it to shrivel up. The lacquer does make the fairly boring hammerite paint pop though, but nice light coats recommended (or perhaps slightly more research than I did 😄 )

Good call

Thanks kay pee. I have 3.2 boxster s so will the 100mm be o.k. for my calipers? Will also look for high temperature paint. Again thanks.

23 hours ago, Shippers01 said:

I have purchased but yet to use as follows -

Paint kit from:

High Temperature Paint for Brake Calipers. Professional Product (bcs-automotive.co.uk)

Decals from:

Porsche Modern Brake Decals (brakecaliperdecals.co.uk)

New set of Pirelli P Zero Rosso N4'S on the back, ready for MOT, and summer.

Edited by rederic